Need to turn on the genset for a state car inspection.
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Need to turn on the genset for a state car inspection.

Default Need to turn on the genset for a state car inspection.

How do I minimize the gas use?
    The inspector needs the engine turning over so they can check the exhaust, or so I believe. Tried to contact the DMV, they told me via a message that they are busy and I should call back another day. :-(
    Would it be easiest to let the battery go down to 8 miles of AER and then hit mountain mode? So I would only have 3 or 4 minutes of gas use, instead of running the battery all the way down and actually driving there on the genset?

With the car powered on and in Park, open the hood.
    Doug

2013 CMax Energi Red (His)
    2013 CMax Energi White (Hers)
    2012 Jet Black Volt (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by fotomoto View Post
    With the car powered on and in Park, open the hood.
    And I would try and run the ICE prior to the inspection to get it up to operating temps. That's important for the cats.

Tom
    Tom
    USAF Retired
    My garage
    2014 Lime Rock Green Stingray
    2013 Cyber Gray Volt
    Best EV Range 54.x miles (more than once)

Advertisement

It's my understanding that the car should have emissions data within it from the last time you ran the engine that they can read.

As others have pointed out, opening the hood while the car is on will force an engine start.
    Last edited by ClarksonCote; 08-23-2013 at 10:40 AM.
    Volt Emergency Power Wiring Kit - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Leaf Emergency Power Wiring Kit - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Commercial Level 1 Charging Station
    Volt/Spark/ELR Charging Reference Magnet

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic - Love the blue!

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

yeah, this makes no sense. I'm not sure about Virginia, but here in Texas we only do emissions testing if the vehicle is older than 1996 (pre OBD-II) because any car 1996 or newer essentially tests itself and keeps that data stored in the computer. So usually the emissions test is done just by plugging into the OBD-II port. This should be no different with the Volt.
    2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV (with DC QC)
    2012 White Chevy Volt

Quote Originally Posted by Ziv View Post
    So I would only have 3 or 4 minutes of gas use, instead of running the battery all the way down and actually driving there on the genset?
    Time isn't the only factor... mountain mode runs the engine pretty hard, and will consume gas at a higher rate than typical driving.

Do you have enough gas miles to actually pass the inspection? Apparently, if the car's systems don't have enough data from when the engine was running, it can fail the inspection. Gas-only cars too, if the battery was disconnected/replaced shortly before the inspection, without enough running time. If not, you might need to go driving around for a bit and have the inspection done again.

Good memory! I do recollect a problem of not having run the engine enough to have the data. I think that was in MA. Can't remember the resolution.

I'd try and call the DMV again and see if the test is necessary. Even CA doesn't require the Volt to have an emissions test.

The OP said nothing about emissions. He said the inspector need to check the exhaust which could mean: "This thing got a muffler? Well then I need to hear it."

Case in point: in Texas, a motorcycle isn't required to have turn signals but if they are on the bike then they have to work.
    Doug

2013 CMax Energi Red (His)
    2013 CMax Energi White (Hers)
    2012 Jet Black Volt (sold)

OPEN THE HOOD. THE ENGINE WILL START.

Advertisement

I completely forgot about the open the hood idea, so that is a good point.
    I have 100+ miles on the genset, almost half of which were on the car when I got it. Criswell kept the car with around 5 miles of battery miles so that every potential buyer would be able to feel the transition to using the gas genset. They had me drive 5 miles until the battery emptied and then drive back on the genset.
    Anyway, I will keep trying to talk to someone at the DMV, or I will drive by the place I use to get my cars inspected, hopefully they will tell me there is not emissions inspection for a new Volt.
    I really don't want to use any more gas unless I have to.

On edit: I just realized that I cannot remember if the last place I saw them put the tube in the exhaust was when I lived in Maryland, so I really need to get in touch with the DMV, I may be worrying about a test that isn't even done here in Virginia. But thanks for the reminders about the 'open the hood' trick.
    But the Virginia DMV does have a list of cars that are exempt from the emissions test...
    _ Vehicles exclusively powered by clean fuel, including compressed or liquified natural gas, electricity, or solar energy _

Not what I had hoped for.
    Last edited by Ziv; 08-23-2013 at 11:16 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast