Marketing Backfire- promotional Facebook post about MyLink becomes dogpile
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Marketing Backfire- promotional Facebook post about MyLink becomes dogpile

Default Marketing Backfire- promotional Facebook post about MyLink becomes dogpile

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5626008&type=1

I bet the marketing team didn't expect that all the highest "liked" comments would be from owners calling out GM for offering zero retroactive enhancements to existing owners.

"But it's hardware differences," the apologists respond. Yes, when simple software changes require hardware changes, we call that "short sighted engineering," a problem Tesla offers a nice solution for, and something many people will remember when it's time to re-buy.

Wait until the next Tesla comes out. There will be loud complaints about inability to upgrade the Model S.

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot28 View Post
    Wait until the next Tesla comes out. There will be loud complaints about inability to upgrade the Model S.
    People who buy these cars are generally smart enough to understand what can be accomplished via software and what can't. I don't think people's expectations here are unreasonable.
    Last edited by ViperRT10Matt; 08-23-2013 at 07:05 AM.

Advertisement

I'll bet the reason they quote hardware differences has nothing to do with the feature, but rather they haven't made a firmware set that matches the 2011 hardware. It probably has nothing to do with the feature, it's just that unrelated parts of the firmware have hardware dependencies. They just don't want to support extra software sets (and the obvious desire to make the customer buy a new car).
    #B2380, 2011 Crystal Red. Born 3/18/2011, adopted 4/9/2011
    #B2733, 2011 White Diamond. Born 4/4/2011, foster care 5/2/2011, adopted 11/29/2012
    - The FAQ -- answers to your Frequently Asked Questions about the Volt - Click Here! - maintained by ChrisC

Quote Originally Posted by ViperRT10Matt View Post
    People who buy these cars are generally smart enough to understand what can be accomplished via software and what can't. I don't think people's expectations here are unreasonable.
    I give Tesla all the credit in the world for breaking the mold, taking substantial risks, and creating an incredible vehicle--one that offers a flexible user interface ready for all kinds of software enhancements and upgrades.

That said, I really cannot fault other car companies for being more conservative, both in their initial designs and in their subsequent QA policies. Certainly I do not "hold it against GM" for failing to provide certain discretionary upgrades, even ones that are purely software. I've got too many bruises on my own body (semiconductor capital equipment business) from going down that path.

people people people..

I wish people would LEARN.. its NORMAL for car companies to enhance features year over year.. and wahhh cry to the ones that think they should get upgrades to their car.. (and most would say they want them FREE!!) but I digress here...

if you could upgrade your current car to the latest features there would be little reason to buy a new one... and that causes a couple issues.. not upgrading makes business sense..

1] Early adopters willing to buy new cars gets the nameplate out on the road quickly as well as makes the manufcaturer money
    2] early traders (1-3 years) puts nice late model used cars on the lots.. (which often buyers come to look at and are easy to finance for less-than-stellar credit customers...resulting in decent resale prices.. same dealer may make money on the same car twice)
    3] it would be a SERVICE NIGHTMARE to service cars that are both upgraded and ones that arent... as many people as want the new software will also want to keep the old... (Hey dont upgrade me i like the old better!)..

from a programmer standpoint having to test new loads against new and old features would be true PAIN.. as it is now some new loads require complete reflashes of the car and dont majorly affect operating features..

4] used car buyers expecting a 2011 software feature end up with a 2013 feature that they didnt want...

egads that means we need to create DOWNGRADE capabilities.. even more software distribution nightmares...

want a new feature?? go buy a new car.. pure and simple..
    -Christopher
    2013 Cyber Metallic Gray / Jet black interior - "VivaVolte`" - all the options you could get! #27297

I don't see the big deal. Now if my Volt lost 6.5 kWh of battery power every night, which is the case with the Model S, then I'd be vocal about an upgrade. Would I like a Hold Mode? Sure. But it and the other stuff we're talking about here is minor.

I say to all people complaining about "lack of upgrades": be happy you don't NEED them.
    2013 White Diamond Volt Owner.
    My Home Forum

iPhones don't offer retroactive upgrades, which is why people keep lining up to buy the newest one. Car companies certainly don't either. Why do people keep thinking the Volt should be different?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Zeede View Post
    iPhones don't offer retroactive upgrades, which is why people keep lining up to buy the newest one. Car companies certainly don't either. Why do people keep thinking the Volt should be different?
    Umm, yes, iPhones do get retroactive upgrades. iOS upgrades are always available for older iPhones. Not all of the new features work on older phones (like Siri), but those are understandably limited by hardware processing power. In the 90s, there weren't a lot of features on cars that could be upgraded by software so people didn't expect it. Things are different today. Imagine buying a cell phone that you couldn't add Apps to! In the 90s, that was normal.

As a previous post noted, consumers can usually tell the different between something that probably could be offered by a software update (i.e. Hold mode), and those that can't (like a bigger battery that doubles range).

People buy new cars and phones for all kinds of reasons. There will always be new hardware changes coming that people will want. Companies would be wise to consider that consumers will be less likely to buy a new product if they don't think a company will keep it up to date.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast