Is Mountain mode equivalent to Hold mode if the battery is at 50%?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Is Mountain mode equivalent to Hold mode if the battery is at 50%?

Default Is Mountain mode equivalent to Hold mode if the battery is at 50%?

This morning I was going up to 3500 feet, so at 8 bars (80%), I switched to Mountain mode in preparation for the climb, which was about a few miles away. The car continued to go on EV only, then at 5 bars (50%), the engine came alive and kept the battery at 50% the whole way. If I had selected Hold mode at 50%, the computer would've kept the battery at 50% the whole time too, right?
    2013 Volt, Silver Ice Metallic

Yes. Hold Mode and Mountain Mode are the same except that in Hold you get to select how much battery is saved. You could have gone into Hold Mode with 80% remaining.
    2013 Crystal Red - D 2516 - Delivered 10/16/2012
    U235 Powered

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Donovan View Post
    This morning I was going up to 3500 feet, so at 8 bars (80%), I switched to Mountain mode in preparation for the climb, which was about a few miles away. The car continued to go on EV only, then at 5 bars (50%), the engine came alive and kept the battery at 50% the whole way. If I had selected Hold mode at 50%, the computer would've kept the battery at 50% the whole time too, right?
    I don't know how exactly to answer your question. Basically, yes hold and MM are exactly the same at anything above 50%. I would think that if you were going up a really steep mountain WHERE you would start dipping below 50% soc, hold mode wouldn't be able to maintain the battery SOC the way MM would.
    If I were to make an analogy for you regarding how I think each mode works it would go like this:
    Lets say you've hired a kid to operate your lemonade cart. In scenario a you would tell the kid to "hold" 8 cups of poured lemonade ahead of time for customers as they come. In this scenario 8 cups may not be enough for a steep crowd during the lunch hour. He would try, but since you're paying him $7/hour he only will work so hard for you.
    In scenario B, you tell the kid to keep at least 5 cups of lemonade and his life depends on it, and he will be compensated additionally for working at peak efficiency when it gets really busy at lunch. So even tho there was 8 cups at the start, he slacks a bit, but goes balls to the walls as soon as it gets down to 5 cups, cuz he knows he's gonna get paid awesome at end of the day.
    At the end of a super large lunch day, kid A has only 1 cups extra, and is done. Kid B has only 4 cups, but sold a ton more and would've continued keeping as many as he could throughout a very long drawn out lunch rush.
    That's how I think it works anyway. :-)
    Aloha! Codyozz
    2013 Black Volt, pkg 1 & 2, Polished rims
    Purchased Jul '13. Miles as of Dec '14: 18,450 total, 12,900 EV miles
    Username: Voltacious (voltstats & volt dc app)

Advertisement

The only major difference between Hold and Mountain Mode is that MM will push power back to the battery if it is below the set threshold. Hold will only maintain the battery at the SOC when it was engaged.

Ideally, you want to engage MM before you really need it, because it will make the engine work harder to build up the charge to the set threshold.
    Joined GM-Volt.com in 2008. Bought a Volt in 2013!

2013 Summit White

"The balance of power is the scale of peace. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside. Horrid mischief would ensue were one half the world deprived of the use of them; the weak would become a prey to the strong." -Thomas Paine

Hold mode will do as the name implies under all conditions - hold the current SOC at the expense of running the ICE. What appears on the battery meter (AER) will change according to the same things that determine the AER normally - the estimated range according to how you're driving the vehicle.

Above 50% SOC, engaging MM will not engage the ICE to maintain SOC until the battery gets to the 50% mark.

Under heavy loads, such as hill climbing, Hold mode puts the entire work onto the ICE with the exception of a buffer that the ICE's overproduction can use; all the while maintaining the desired SOC (not to be confused with AER) that you asked for. I've seen my AER decrease will driving in the Texas Hill Country in Hold mode.

MM, however, once at or below the 50% SOC, will attempt to maintain that level except when load conditions demand more power than a modest throttle can produce (from what I've experienced) and will deplete from the battery as needed - always replacing what it borrowed to get back to 50% SOC.

I drive with the power distribution meter displayed on the DIC. I've noticed that the ICE will contribute more if the SOC gets pretty low. But it seems to me that it's set to use the least amount of gas if there's battery available for short load demands.

As an example, on our vacation last month, we ascended Pikes Peak. At the pay window we had already been in MM since leaving Cheyenne, WY and had 16 EV miles showing on the meter. During the climb, the ICE purred along at a low idle except for a few mild spots along the way where it cut off and ran off the buffer that had built up. But on the steeper portions, it, again, ran at a modest throttle up the steeper ascends - never howling like it tends to do if you engage it with zero SOC under heavy load.

At the summit, the combination or the new AER calculation along with what was sacrificed from the battery to keep the ICE from having to do all of the work alone, left us an AER of 3. Had we ascended in Hold mode, the AER would have dropped a bit but probably not down to 3.

I used Normal+L for the descend. By the time we reached the Interstate after going down CO-24 (that road that flooded earlier this month) we had an AER of ~54.

We spent the night in Colorado Springs, burning off a few miles still in Normal mode. We continued our trip the next day in MM once on the Interstate. The new 50% set point (SOC) became ~25 on the battery meter for most of the remaining trip. It was still at 21 when we exited the Texas Hill Country down into San Antonio.

I underestimated how far that would take us due to even more altitude drop. So I ended up in my driveway with 2 on the meter after switching to Normal at the county line.
    Norm

Status - Build-date 16 Oct 2012
    Status - Delivery date 16 Nov 2012
    D13751 -VoltStats
    Solar-Powered
    Ham Radio-KA5AWP
    Volt Emergency Power Wiring Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Codyozz View Post
    That's how I think it works anyway. :-)
    Nice analogy!

Quote Originally Posted by Norm51 View Post
    We spent the night in Colorado Springs, burning off a few miles still in Normal mode. We continued our trip the next day in MM once on the Interstate. The new 50% set point (SOC) became ~25 on the battery meter for most of the remaining trip. It was still at 21 when we exited the Texas Hill Country down into San Antonio.
    Interesting technique. I'll be sure to try this out next time i'm in the area. During my last road trip to Fredericksburg, i kept only a few miles on hold for in-town driving. Once i got to the hills and such, ICE was quite a bit louder than i expected it to run. MM may have kept it at a lower and more constant hum.

Quote Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent View Post
    The only major difference between Hold and Mountain Mode is that MM will push power back to the battery if it is below the set threshold. Hold will only maintain the battery at the SOC when it was engaged.

Ideally, you want to engage MM before you really need it, because it will make the engine work harder to build up the charge to the set threshold.
    If I recall I thought I remember a conversation that stated that the gas engine is programmed to become more aggressive in maintaining a charge in mountain mode.

7 August 2012 - 2013 Volt - D3079 - Blue Topaz Metallic - Pebble Beige Cloth - Comfort Package and Safety Package 1 came home.
    https://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1667

Quote Originally Posted by Neromanceres View Post
    If I recall I thought I remember a conversation that stated that the gas engine is programmed to become more aggressive in maintaining a charge in mountain mode.
    I'm pretty sure it is, but not when there is high throttle demand. Couldn't go uphill well if the engine was working hard to try to pump energy back into the battery!
    Joined GM-Volt.com in 2008. Bought a Volt in 2013!

2013 Summit White

"The balance of power is the scale of peace. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside. Horrid mischief would ensue were one half the world deprived of the use of them; the weak would become a prey to the strong." -Thomas Paine

Mountain Mode holds the battery at 40% I believe. So I think the answer to your question is yes, but the SOC is 40% not 50%
    Volt Emergency Power Wiring Kit - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Leaf Emergency Power Wiring Kit - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Commercial Level 1 Charging Station
    Volt/Spark/ELR Charging Reference Magnet

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic - Love the blue!

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ClarksonCote View Post
    Mountain Mode holds the battery at 40% I believe. So I think the answer to your question is yes, but the SOC is 40% not 50%

I stand corrected. This Wiki says 45%, as does this one.

But this page says
    ■On the consumer experience of Hold mode versus Mountainmode ■In Mountain mode the state of charge to keep as a buffer is not fixed at a level.
    ■In Hold mode, the SOC is fixed at the level when Hold mode was entered.
    Whichever it is, it looks like 50% as I'm driving. There's even a red line at that level.
    Norm

Status - Build-date 16 Oct 2012
    Status - Delivery date 16 Nov 2012
    D13751 -VoltStats
    Solar-Powered
    Ham Radio-KA5AWP
    Volt Emergency Power Wiring Kit

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size