GM Volt Forum banner

Error Codes P1E98 & P1E00

10K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Chevrolet Customer Svc 
#1 ·
I started my Volt today after charging (partially) at work (120v) and my check engine light was on. I connected to OnStar and they advised me of two error codes: P1E98 - High voltage system is not functioning properly (bring in within one day) and P1E00 - Charging system is not functioning properly (bring in at earliest convenience). The car is charging now (and seems to be charging okay). A month ago, the CEL came on and the dealer replaced the charge port. Everything seemed okay until today. I'm taking my Volt back in tomorrow (and I have left my Volt Adviser a message) and *sigh* will be without it again.

This car has become quite frustrating to own. In less than one year of ownership, it has been in for service for a total of over 40 days (the charge port issue and the skill saw debacle). At this point, I would do just about anything to get this car off my hands!

#2 · (Edited)
This car has become quite frustrating to own. In less than one year of ownership, it has been in for service for a total of over 40 days (the charge port issue and the skill saw debacle). At this point, I would do just about anything to get this car off my hands!
That is easy, sell it or trade it. Someone else here was saying CarMax will give $24K for them.

BTW we have 2 Volts and they are the most trouble free cars I have ever owned.

#4 ·
P1E00 just indicates you have another code. My first guess is that the code was triggered when charging at work. My second guess is that you'll take it to the dealer who will clear your codes and send you on your way after not finding anything wrong. Fortunately or unfortunately, the Volt is very sensitive to problems with the charging circuits.

For the forty days, what problem(s) have you encountered?

#5 ·
Had codes my first week of ownership (I think the same codes you posted). Turned out it was due to attempting to charge at my parents on an outdated and faulty 120V circuit. I cleared the codes with Torque and haven't had any trouble since... I now bring along my LCS-25 (level II EVSE) when I visit my parents. Sad to hear about your issues, but glad that it's rare to see someone having trouble with a Volt.

#8 ·
I started my Volt today after charging (partially) at work (120v) and my check engine light was on. I connected to OnStar and they advised me of two error codes: P1E98 - High voltage system is not functioning properly (bring in within one day) and P1E00 - Charging system is not functioning properly (bring in at earliest convenience).
Out of an abundance of caution, the car will throw a CEL if the voltage it observes at the charge port is not what it expects, as it has no easy way of telling if that's the fault of the incoming power lines, or the car.

The easiest thing for you to do, if it is now charging correctly, is to see if the CEL clears after driving the car three times. If it does, there's no need to bring it in.

#9 ·
Fredly,

I apologize for the experience you have had so far. If you could PM me the last 8 of your VIN and the best way for you to be reached I would like to ensure your Advisor gets your message.

Thank you,

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.