Error Codes P1E98 & P1E00
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Error Codes P1E98 & P1E00

Default Error Codes P1E98 & P1E00

I started my Volt today after charging (partially) at work (120v) and my check engine light was on. I connected to OnStar and they advised me of two error codes: P1E98 - High voltage system is not functioning properly (bring in within one day) and P1E00 - Charging system is not functioning properly (bring in at earliest convenience). The car is charging now (and seems to be charging okay). A month ago, the CEL came on and the dealer replaced the charge port. Everything seemed okay until today. I'm taking my Volt back in tomorrow (and I have left my Volt Adviser a message) and *sigh* will be without it again.

This car has become quite frustrating to own. In less than one year of ownership, it has been in for service for a total of over 40 days (the charge port issue and the skill saw debacle). At this point, I would do just about anything to get this car off my hands!

Quote Originally Posted by fredly19 View Post
    This car has become quite frustrating to own. In less than one year of ownership, it has been in for service for a total of over 40 days (the charge port issue and the skill saw debacle). At this point, I would do just about anything to get this car off my hands!
    That is easy, sell it or trade it. Someone else here was saying CarMax will give $24K for them.

BTW we have 2 Volts and they are the most trouble free cars I have ever owned.
    Last edited by solar_dave; 08-23-2013 at 04:32 AM.
    Diamond White #B2140 ecosister plate=SLRRYDER
    Crystal Red #C8885, Red-Rider plate=NO2OPEC
    Only 50 gallons purchased, fully charged off Solar , Keeping the utilities at bay.
    DRIVING for FREE! NO OPEC FEE!

My TED 5000 power monitoring

I would love to sell it outright. However, selling a car for $24,000 less than one year after buying it for $45,000 is ridiculous. At this point, GM should do something, but I'm thinking there is little possibility of that.

Advertisement

P1E00 just indicates you have another code. My first guess is that the code was triggered when charging at work. My second guess is that you'll take it to the dealer who will clear your codes and send you on your way after not finding anything wrong. Fortunately or unfortunately, the Volt is very sensitive to problems with the charging circuits.

For the forty days, what problem(s) have you encountered?

Had codes my first week of ownership (I think the same codes you posted). Turned out it was due to attempting to charge at my parents on an outdated and faulty 120V circuit. I cleared the codes with Torque and haven't had any trouble since... I now bring along my LCS-25 (level II EVSE) when I visit my parents. Sad to hear about your issues, but glad that it's rare to see someone having trouble with a Volt.
    Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. ~Matthew 7:13-14

Extended Stats

Car charged fully overnight at my house (240v) and when I started it up, no error codes. So, I "guess" we are good for now.

You're good to go until you plug in at work again. LOL FYI it usually takes a few charging cycles -- I'd say three -- to clear the codes. Nice that it cleared so quickly for you.

I started my Volt today after charging (partially) at work (120v) and my check engine light was on. I connected to OnStar and they advised me of two error codes: P1E98 - High voltage system is not functioning properly (bring in within one day) and P1E00 - Charging system is not functioning properly (bring in at earliest convenience).
    Out of an abundance of caution, the car will throw a CEL if the voltage it observes at the charge port is not what it expects, as it has no easy way of telling if that's the fault of the incoming power lines, or the car.

The easiest thing for you to do, if it is now charging correctly, is to see if the CEL clears after driving the car three times. If it does, there's no need to bring it in.
    Volt Emergency Power Wiring Kit - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Leaf Emergency Power Wiring Kit - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Commercial Level 1 Charging Station
    Volt/Spark/ELR Charging Reference Magnet

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic - Love the blue!

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

I started my Volt today after charging (partially) at work (120v) and my check engine light was on. I connected to OnStar and they advised me of two error codes: P1E98 - High voltage system is not functioning properly (bring in within one day) and P1E00 - Charging system is not functioning properly (bring in at earliest convenience). The car is charging now (and seems to be charging okay). A month ago, the CEL came on and the dealer replaced the charge port. Everything seemed okay until today. I'm taking my Volt back in tomorrow (and I have left my Volt Adviser a message) and *sigh* will be without it again.

Fredly,

I apologize for the experience you have had so far. If you could PM me the last 8 of your VIN and the best way for you to be reached I would like to ensure your Advisor gets your message.

Thank you,

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service
    If you have any further questions feel free to contact the
    Chevrolet Volt & Spark EV Advisor Team:
    (877) 486-5846
    Chevrolet Volt & Spark EV Advisor Hours:
    Monday - Friday 8AM to 9PM EST.
    Saturday 11AM to 8PM EST.
    Closed on Sunday.

socialmedia@gm.com
    https://twitter.com/ChevyVolt
    http://https://www.facebook.com/chevroletvolt