Problem with Versicharge
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Versicharge

Default Problem with Versicharge

Hi Siemens,

Sorry to say, I'm having some trouble with my Versicharge and with technical support. I'm hoping that you can help. What happens is that about once a week (twice this week), when my Volt starts charging, the charger will have a fault (red light) and my Volt starts honking. To resolve the issue I go out to the garage and press the pause button twice, then it works fine, every time.

I use the schedule charging on my Volt. I originally had it set to start charging at 9pm. I decided to try 10pm instead to see if it was a load related issue, but that hasn't changed anything. It just happened again tonight. I was sitting in my living room and my Volt started honking in the garage at 10pm sharp. I went out, pushed pause twice, and now it's charging happily. When this happened the only things using electricity in my house were my lights (mostly LED) and one ceiling fan. No appliances were running at the time.

On a side note, when I called for support, I was given the number of a man who was apparently the only person in America who can support the Versicharge chargers. He was very nice, but said that he would talk to his engineer about it that day, but I haven't heard back in three weeks, despite giving him a call back and sending an email. You might need to hire some additional support if he is that backed up.

Please help me resolve this problem.

Thanks!
    John Hansen

If it goes off every day at 10 and you have to go out there anyway, why not just do an immediate charge at 10?

Also, you can turn off that annoying honking in the Volt's settings.
    L+Sport and just drive!

------------------------
    2013 White Diamond (JaVolt)
    2010 HEMI RAM Quad Cab (Big Blu)
    L2 - GE WattStation
    iOS 8.1 on iPhone 6. RemoteLink App version 1.9.11(914)
    http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/3090

Quote Originally Posted by Loboc View Post
    If it goes off every day at 10 and you have to go out there anyway, why not just do an immediate charge at 10?

Also, you can turn off that annoying honking in the Volt's settings.
    Hi Loboc, it doesn't do it every night, just once a week (or so). As annoying as the honking is, I prefer that over my car not getting charged. It doesn't start charging by itself after it happens.
    Last edited by hansenjw; 08-25-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Advertisement

4.3 Faults
    The VersiCharge will automatically disconnect power in the event of a fault.
    • If a fault occurs during charging, the VersiCharge will disconnect power from the vehicle, with an audible click, and change to the ‘Fault’ state. The VersiCharge will automatically self-recover when all faults clear, with the exception of grounding faults.
    • For grounding faults, after 15 minutes, the VersiCharge will attempt to continue charging, and if no faults are present, will return to the ‘Charging’ state. During this 15 minute delay, the ‘2 Hour Delay’ indicator is illuminated.
    • If a fault is still present immediately after the VersiCharge re-enters the ‘Charging’ state, the VersiCharge will return to the ‘Fault’ state, and remain in that state until it is manually reset.

Rather than manually resetting the unit, I'd wait to see if the unit recovers as described in the owners manual above.
    Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 51,445 miles, 156 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 67%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1375 miles, 250
    MPG, 96% Electric, 3% gas, Saved 61 gal., 26 kW-hr/100 miles
    VOLT TIPS & SECRETS Free Volt Manual here: Owners Manual (PDF)

Quote Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
    4.3 Faults
    The VersiCharge will automatically disconnect power in the event of a fault.
    • If a fault occurs during charging, the VersiCharge will disconnect power from the vehicle, with an audible click, and change to the ‘Fault’ state. The VersiCharge will automatically self-recover when all faults clear, with the exception of grounding faults.
    • For grounding faults, after 15 minutes, the VersiCharge will attempt to continue charging, and if no faults are present, will return to the ‘Charging’ state. During this 15 minute delay, the ‘2 Hour Delay’ indicator is illuminated.
    • If a fault is still present immediately after the VersiCharge re-enters the ‘Charging’ state, the VersiCharge will return to the ‘Fault’ state, and remain in that state until it is manually reset.

Rather than manually resetting the unit, I'd wait to see if the unit recovers as described in the owners manual above.
    Thanks for the suggestion Steve. I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

John you should have been contacted directly. If not or if there is anything more I can do to help, please let me know.
    For a free whitepaper on selecting a Level 2 EVSE, please visit www.usa.siemens.com/versicharge

For support related to Siemens products, please call 1-800-241-4453

Hi John,

I was wondering if the problem with your VersiCharge was resolved and what the solution was?

I started having the same issue with my Volt and VersiCharge about 2 weeks ago. I contacted Siemens support earlier this week via email at versicharge.industry@siemens.com (apparently they don't do phone support for VersiCharge) but haven't had a response.

Thanks!

Hi IAm, my problem was resolved when Siemens offered a full refund, no questions asked. I believe they even paid for the return shipping. It was a nice unit, but I think Siemens is pulling out of the market. I replaced it with a Clipper Creek LCS-25 and haven't had a problem since. Good luck with yours. It took Siemens a while to get back to me, but once they did they settled it quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by hansenjw View Post
    Hi IAm, my problem was resolved when Siemens offered a full refund, no questions asked. I believe they even paid for the return shipping. It was a nice unit, but I think Siemens is pulling out of the market. I replaced it with a Clipper Creek LCS-25 and haven't had a problem since. Good luck with yours. It took Siemens a while to get back to me, but once they did they settled it quickly.
    Thanks for the update, glad you got it worked out. Mine is going strong and will be hitting 1 year in a few months. No issues.

I see Siemens ads here every day. What do you base your "pulling out" claim on?
    Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 51,445 miles, 156 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 67%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1375 miles, 250
    MPG, 96% Electric, 3% gas, Saved 61 gal., 26 kW-hr/100 miles
    VOLT TIPS & SECRETS Free Volt Manual here: Owners Manual (PDF)

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
    Thanks for the update, glad you got it worked out. Mine is going strong and will be hitting 1 year in a few months. No issues.

I see Siemens ads here every day. What do you base your "pulling out" claim on?
    This: http://insideevs.com/siemens-exits-t...o-weak-demand/

Did I read that wrong? It didn't specifically say residential evses, but I assumed they were included.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast