Safety rear lights for Low gear throttle lift?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Safety rear lights for Low gear throttle lift?

Default Safety rear lights for Low gear throttle lift?

Since the upper rear reflectors (on the black area of the rear hatch) don't light up for anything else, how about having orange LEDs under them that light up whenever the throttle is lifted in Low gear? I think this would be a very useful/cool feature that the Volt really needs. (before one of us gets rear-ended, hopefully). Hmmm, is there any law against this???? I don't know.

All that would be needed is to run an extra wire through to the hatch to power those lights, and to find the point in the wiring harness where the switch/relay is that turns on the Low gear regenerative braking, have that trip a separate relay that runs 12 volts to the safety lights in the hatch.

The hardest part would be to figure out how to put LEDs behind the area where the reflectors are, without messing up the looks of it when off. I might get brave and see if I can order an extra set of the reflectors to experiment with, since I would not DARE to mess with the stock ones myself. I figure Chevy will have extras of these available for replacement in collisions, and they might not be TOO expensive.

Anybody got any ideas, thoughts on this?

Jerry, #536

Manual transmission vehicles behave much the same way when the throttle is released while in gear, especially in lower gears. It hasn't been much of a problem in over 100 years, I'm not sure why it would be now.

Just my two cents.

I have thought about this for a wile and the best answer would be a slow flash of the break lights, similar to some one tapping the break peddle.

for those who say why it is like down shifting, yes it is, but most people dont down shift to slow down,execpt in ye mountians, even I have had cars not realize tha I had and come close to running into me.

may be for now the best answer is to tap your break when you see some one close behind or approaching quickly, as a curtisy like using your turn signals to pass.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

One thing to remember is that brake lights come on before you actually have moved the brake pedal far enough to start slowing much, if at all. You can tap your brake light without slowing the car or wasting juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziv View Post
    One thing to remember is that brake lights come on before you actually have moved the brake pedal far enough to start slowing much, if at all. You can tap your brake light without slowing the car or wasting juice.
    You could tap the brakes with out wasting much juice. But at that point wouldn't it be like a history report? "I'm tapping the brakes to engage the brake lights to signal the point where a second ago regen kicked in and you almost hit me because you thought I would be accelerating."

Quote Originally Posted by marlow View Post
    but most people don't down shift to slow down
    No, we downshift to GET them to back off. Nothing better than slowing down with no brake lights. Been doing it for over 20 years to people who tailgate. 5th to 4th always gets them to back off or pass you. Has been happening as long as people have been driving. Obviously you don't tailgate other drivers.

Really don't think this needs to be done to the Volt.
    Last edited by YoSePpI; 02-12-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Tappng the break almost always works, only once in over 40 years of driving have I had to resort to something like that.

Lets not encurage road rage.

Putting orange (amber) lights to indicate that you are slowing down is cool but I think you might have problems as it is in violation of Federal regulations (see below), and probably a lot of state regulations.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...9&keyword=lamp

It might be simpler to rig the red taillamps to go on instead.

"Putting orange (amber) lights to indicate that you are slowing down is cool but I think you might have problems as it is in violation of Federal regulations (see below), and probably a lot of state regulations."

That is what I was afraid of, thanks for finding that for me.

In that case maybe I would just use red LEDs and wire them to the regular brake wire in the hatch. That would still be a cool modification, and a lot easier hookup.

Jerry, #536

12. Advertisement

What about a red light that comes on based on an inertia switch (mercury or the like concept)?? ie. if you let off the accelerator peddle while in L then the car will slow down the but inertia switch will swing forward and turn the break light on.

Just thinking out loud.

[edit]
    OK a quick google search shows this idea and pros/cons thought of:
    i.e.
    http://forums.off-road.com/jeep-shor...ht-switch.html
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5712617.html

http://orlando.ebayclassifieds.com/p...ed/?ad=4554440
    Description
    Do you ever ride your motorcycle in a group where you slow down by downshifting and you're not using their rear brake at all? Protect yourself with the SafeRide Safety Alert system. This 6 inch Motorcycle LED Light Kit w/ Module can help make everyone more visible. Features:

Microprocessor, g-force activated
    Easy Installation
    Works with ANY reduction of speed by detecting inertia change
    Downshifting or sudden throttle reduction
    Easy to install
    Designed to last
    Encapsulated circuitry
    Strobes for maximum attention
    This is different than the Back Off light because it works whether you hit your rear brake, or simply let off the throttle/downshift. This augments your existing brake light system
    Last edited by scottf200; 02-13-2011 at 03:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text