Interview with Volt Marketing Manager
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Volt Marketing Manager

Default Interview with Volt Marketing Manager

Chevy Volt marketing manager Darin Gesse was interviewed by Bloomberg TV today. To give him the benefit of the doubt, it looks like he may have been having some audio issues, and he may not have much interview experience. But all I can say is, "Please show some enthusiasm for your product!!". I miss Bob Lutz...

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/chevy...tml?cmpid=yhoo
    Jim in South Jersey
    2011 Black Volt #1357 (Returned in Feb 2014)
    2014 Black Volt , Leased Feb 2014 , Voltstats Link

yeah.. He didn't seem very enthusiastic. He also didn't answer the question very well of who the Volt is for. He should read this forum more and see some of our polls.
    2011 Blue Nissan Leaf SL (No QC Port)
    2012 White Chevy Volt

He's on message but he's not in the same PT Barnum class as Musk. Plus as you mention he was probably not prepared to answer attacks.

He could have pointed out that Musk wanted to do an EREV but his engineers told him Tesla didn't have the technology! He might have also pointed out that a $65K premium is a lot to pay for a car that go from San Diego to Phoenix or Tucson! Or he could just have pointed out that GM has sold more Volts than Tesla has sold of all cars combined!

He whiffed on the attack question of why the Volt isn't the answer for someone who wants to go all electric. The answer of course is that if you have $100K to spend on a car and want to go all electric for local driving, get a Model S. But he so fumbled the question of "Who is your market?". This is a crazy simple question to answer: Anyone who might buy a Prius. That could have led into a discussion of how the Volt has better performance than a Prius, has a quieter and smoother ride than a Prius, gets far better MPG than a Prius, and now COSTS LESS than 3 of the 5 Prius models. Seriously, why bother worrying about a model that might sell 20K copies a year when you can grab sales from a model that sells 1M copies a year!

But yeah, he was terrible!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    He should read this forum more and see some of our polls.
    Agreed! I wonder if he even drives a Volt?
    Jim in South Jersey
    2011 Black Volt #1357 (Returned in Feb 2014)
    2014 Black Volt , Leased Feb 2014 , Voltstats Link

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    But he so fumbled the question of "Who is your market?". This is a crazy simple question to answer: Anyone who might buy a Prius. (
    That is probably the best answer I have heard.

Now that the Volt is priced in the same zip code as the Prius (with tax credit), the Volt can start to become the "Prius fighter" that everyone thought it could be.....

yeah.. If I were asked the question, I'd give this answer:

Anyone who would buy a Prius. Anyone who likes high-tech cars and gadgets. Anyone who would like to own a Tesla but can't afford one.

Personally, I fit all 3 of those categories.
    2011 Blue Nissan Leaf SL (No QC Port)
    2012 White Chevy Volt

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    yeah.. If I were asked the question, I'd give this answer:

Anyone who would buy a Prius. Anyone who likes high-tech cars and gadgets. Anyone who would like to own a Tesla but can't afford one.

Personally, I fit all 3 of those categories.
    I fit all 3 categories as well....

Quote Originally Posted by baragona View Post
    That is probably the best answer I have heard.

Now that the Volt is priced in the same zip code as the Prius (with tax credit), the Volt can start to become the "Prius fighter" that everyone thought it could be.....
    I completely (and respectfully) disagree with you. Personally, I would never buy a Prius, and know a lot of people who feel the same way. Most people who have a Prius are aware of the Volt. The goal is to gain market share in other areas as well. For example, the people who think the Prius is ugly and slow. The Volt is neither of those, and I would hate to amplify the "it's just another Prius" comments
    Love My Volt!

Blue Topaz, Black/Ceramic White Leather, Nav 2012
    New Hampshire

All I thought when I saw the guy for the first time was, "oh so that's the idiot in charge of marketing the best car on the planet!"

FIRE HIM GM! Get someone in there that has a clue! Harsh I know, but the car is awesome and the only marketing I ever see is from the FUD people like Fox News(negative marketing).

Every-time someone on here finds a new Volt add, 90% of us think it sucks. Who do you think approves all of this lame marketing??? Now we know ... Mr. Clueless!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by emartin00 View Post
    I completely (and respectfully) disagree with you. Personally, I would never buy a Prius, and know a lot of people who feel the same way. Most people who have a Prius are aware of the Volt. The goal is to gain market share in other areas as well. For example, the people who think the Prius is ugly and slow. The Volt is neither of those, and I would hate to amplify the "it's just another Prius" comments
    I still say this answer works in a marketing situation when you only get one brief sentence to answer...

Considering that more Prius' were traded in by Volt buyers than any other vehicle, this answer seems to fit as well.

You can always "elaborate" how the Volt gives you so much more than the Prius for the same price, and that it is not as ugly.

But.....

The target market for the Volt is the same as the target market for the Prius, and GM should plan accordingly. GM will not be successful trying to sell this as a luxury car/BMW alternative...
    Last edited by baragona; 08-22-2013 at 01:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast