Delayed Charging Function Works Great
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Delayed Charging Function Works Great

Talking Delayed Charging Function Works Great

I tried the Delayed Charge based on Electric Rates and Departure Time function and wanted to let everyone know that it worked great. I first set up the three time-of-use rate periods for my electricity rates on the Volt set up screen. I have Peak, Off Peak, and Super Off Peak rate periods. I then selected the option to avoid only the Peak period (i.e. use only Off Peak and Super Off Peak).

What I found interesting is that when I came home from work at 5 PM and plugged into the 120 volt charger this is what happened. The battery had only 2 miles left on it when I arrived home and that means it will take about 10 hours on the 120 volt charger to fully charge. Off Peak doesn't begin until 6 PM, and the lowest rates of Super Off Peak are from 12 AM to 5 AM. So after plugging in at 5 PM the Volt just waited until 6:00 PM to begin charging (off peak). Then it charged until about 10:00 PM to get to 55% as shown in my iPhone app, and it said that it would begin charging again at 12 AM. When I woke up the next morning I received my normal fully charged email message and it said that it completed charging at 4:30 AM. So it appears that the Volt was smart enough to charge as much as possible in Super Off Peak where the rates are the lowest. But it knew that it couldn't fully charge @ 120 volts during only the Super Off Peak 5 hour period. So it only charged just enough during Off Peak (until 10 PM), shut down, and then finished the charge in Super Off Peak beginning at midnight. Very cool

When I get my 240 volt charger I will specify that the charging only take place during Super Off Peak because it should be able to charge a fully depleted battery during that 5 hour period.
    Volt #912

Looks like the programers really did there homework and provided the smarts to do the right solution in a realtime situation.

P

I've been using the profile based on departure time since December and it has never failed me. Works great. Pro Tip: If you get home and want an opportunity charge sooner than the schedule, just hit the charge port button while still in the car and it will allow you to set a temporary charge setting on the center stack before exiting.
    BLACK VOLT #218 - "PESTILENCE"

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

VERY helpful! Thank you.

This is great information to know. My utility at the present time does not offer TOU metering. Our rates are 7.65 cents per kw. I have an old (non digital) meter which they have been replacing throughout their system. They have been testing them to find that they are on average about 4% slow. So for every 100kw/hr it is very likely that I am using on 96kw/h. Or about $15/month.
    But I am guessing that the car will "learn" how long it takes based on the actual outlet output and then make us all happy customers.

Volt#????- but it's been ordered!

For the past several months my Volt has been charging only during Super Off Peak time periods (12-5 AM) as it is set up to do. But yesterday, it deviated from it's schedule for the first time and I do not know why. When I got home I plugged in the EVSE as usual, and heard the normal two honks and the green dash LED began the slow flash. This is what happens every day and then the car patiently waits until midnight to begin charging. But yesterday my Volt began charging an hour after I plugged it in and finished at 10:04 PM and I do not know why. It charged for a few hours during Peak electricity rates and that is the opposite of what it is supposed to do. Has anyone else had this happen?
    Volt #912

Frankman pointed me over to this thread when I posted in another thread about some strange behavior I had seen yesterday regarding delayed charging. What he posted above (first post) was indeed exactly what I had seen. It's not a problem, it just took some thinking to figure out why it had done it.

Quote Originally Posted by ssj4vegita2002 View Post
    Pro Tip: If you get home and want an opportunity charge sooner than the schedule, just hit the charge port button while still in the car and it will allow you to set a temporary charge setting on the center stack before exiting.
    Awesome! I've been looking for something like this. I'll test it out tonight!

EDIT: I've confirmed the temporary override behavior that ssj4vegita described. You have to have the car powered up, then when you hit the charge port button (in the driver's side door) the override option appears on the center console screen.

And since then I've also learned this, from the manual:

To temporarily override a delayed charge event, unplug the charge cord from the charge port and then plug it back in within five seconds. A single horn chirp will sound and charging will begin immediately.
    I've added this thread to the FAQ.
    Last edited by ChrisC; 08-03-2011 at 10:56 PM.
    2011 Volt #284, ordered 30-Jul-2010, built 30-Nov-2010, shipped 15-Dec-2010, delivery 22-Dec-2010, lease return 22-Dec-2013, Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - do yourself a favor and register at Hidden Content immediately so you can track your Volt's performance

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text