GM Volt Forum banner

OMG! 2014 Volt comes with 43 mile range and 1 liter all aluminum engine?

4K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  fishhawk 
#1 ·
Just read this in the Yahoo finance section under GM heading.

"General Motors will launch the 2014 Chevrolet Volt hybrid in the U.S. market by the end of August 2013. The 2014 Volt will provide buyers with an impressive fuel economy of 98 miles per gallon equivalent, or MPGe (electric) on battery power. Talking about its mileage on gasoline, it comes out to be 35 miles in the city and 40 miles on the highway. This amounts to savings of approximately $900 in annual fuel cost when compared to gasoline cost. This new model will come with a 1 liter three-cylinder engine, which is made entirely from aluminum and is 20% more fuel efficient than engines in the earlier models. Also with a drained battery, the new model boasts around 43 miles compared to 35 miles in the 2013 variant."

Is this just another case of sloppy reporting, or did Chevy pull a fast one on everyone?

#2 · (Edited)
I'm pretty confident that the engine is the same. Also, MPGe...the e = equivalent. Seems like sloppy reporting to me. There have been discussions about the Gen 2 having the 3 cyl. 1.0L engine...only speculation at this point.

#3 ·
The article seems incorrect. Starts off with parroting the 2011-2013 numbers then gets weird.

#5 ·
There are already 2014 models on the ground ready to be sold. Same range, same MPG(e), a handful of tiny tweaks and two new colors. The big news is the $5k price drop.

Where on earth did 43 miles EV range come from?!

-Drew

#6 ·
GM's specs for the 2014 Volt are very clear on their website:

http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car/specs/trims.html

Just like the 2013, with very minor tweaks.

Yahoo finance actually just has a link to Seeking Alpha's web site, which can be notoriously unreliable. SA's writer appears to have convoluted the 2014 Volt with the various rumors of the Gen 2 Volt specs. I'm guessing horrendously-sloppy reporting on Yahoo's side in not fact-checking this link and possible intentional deceit on Seeking Alpha's side.

#9 ·
Come on. It's Yahoo news, written by children for children with childish comments. High school newspapers are more reliable than Yahoo.

"A Yahoo is a legendary being in the novel Gulliver's Travels (1726) by Jonathan Swift.

Swift describes them as being filthy and with unpleasant habits, resembling human beings far too closely for the liking of protagonist Lemuel Gulliver, who finds the calm and rational society of intelligent horses, the Houyhnhnms, greatly preferable. The Yahoos are primitive creatures obsessed with "pretty stones" they find by digging in mud, thus representing the distasteful materialism and ignorant elitism Swift encountered in Britain. Hence the term "yahoo" has come to mean 'a crude, brutish or obscenely coarse person'."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo_(Gulliver's_Travels)

Notice the uncanny resemblance of this description to many of the article authors and those who comment in Yahoo News.

#12 ·
Good Morning SharkVolt,

Sorry to say that article is incorrect. Here is the list of changes for the 2014 MY Volt.

Thank you!

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

Attachments

#14 ·
...Here is the list of changes for the 2014 MY Volt.
Brochure is a little dated. Says more than 175 million miles EV. It's more like almost 248 million, just checked a few minutes ago. Fuel saved is almost 13 million gallons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.