1400 Miles in Three Days in a Volt
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1400 Miles in Three Days in a Volt

Default 1400 Miles in Three Days in a Volt

I just got back from a round trip from Chicago to Maryland over the weekend, and my conclusion is that the Volt is a great car for road trips. It was a long trip, but I needed to visit family, and I told them I chose to drive because it was cheaper than flying. Well, that was part of the reason I drove, but I also wanted to take the Volt on a long trip, so it was 700 miles to Maryland on Friday and 700 miles back to Chicago on Sunday. I don't think I felt as worn out as I have on other long trips, though, because the ride in the Volt is so smooth and quiet, and things I learned about the car kept me interested. My wife offered to drive at one point, but I told her I was having too much fun. The overall fuel economy for the trip was 42.14 mpg, including driving 1,433.03 miles on both gas and electricity. The CS mode economy, driving on gasoline alone, was 38.8 mpg, varying between 38.16 and 44.56 mpg on different segments. The first segment in CS mode was 32.5 miles at 44.56 mpg, perhaps because I happened to stop when the battery buffer was at its low point after a relatively short distance. I didn't pay enough attention to the battery at the time to know for sure. I have had no trouble getting 42 to 45 mpg on gas alone at other times going slower speeds, like 45 mph.

I had 340 lifetime mpg before the trip, and 148 afterward, but one of the reasons I bought a Volt is that I could take it on long trips that would be very inconvenient in a pure EV. The oil life indicator was the most interesting. It was 69% before the trip, and after 1400 miles, it still said 69%. I thought it would have factored something about how much the engine had run into the oil life estimate.

The lane departure warning beeped at me several times as I passed big trucks, squeezing to the left in my lane. I don't think I was over the line, but I was close to it. I set the forward collision alert to its most sensitive setting, but, although dozens of aggressive drivers squeezed inches in front of me during the trip, the forward collision alert never made a peep. That surprised me a little. I guess it only alerts on things you approach moving forward, not things that suddenly appear in front of your front bumper from one side.

I called Hampton Inn & Suites on Opossumtown Pike in Frederick, Maryland, ahead of time to see if I would be able to plug the Volt in. The person at the front desk had no idea, but the manager was very accommodating. They have 120V outlets on the outside of the building in back. He said people sometimes use them to plug in their trailers. They didn't charge me for the electricity, but, since I paid over $100 per night for the room, I didn't feel the slightest pang of guilt about the $1 worth of electricity I used each night. The driving we did during our stay there was exclusively on electricity. I used the locked loop through the wheel method of EVSE security. (The lock is pretty small in the picture.)

My strategy was to use hold mode on the highway and the battery elsewhere. This way I was sure I would have enough buffer in the battery for the mountains on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. As it turned out, I hardly needed any buffer for those mountains, and I probably would have been fine just draining the battery at the beginning of the trip. However, as it turned out, it was nice to have the charge in the battery at one point.

I had filled up with the cheap (premium) gasoline in Ohio, and on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I got the low fuel warning. In most cars, this illuminates a warning light on the dash, but the Volt was very expressive. It has a low fuel light, and it displays a text alert and sounds a chime. At the same time, the center display offers to find nearby gas stations. This made my wife pretty nervous. I silenced the chime by pressing the select button on the dial to the left of the steering wheel and tapped "no" to the offer to find a gas station. I didn't want to stop for gas right away, because I knew it would be cheaper after I got off the turnpike in 30 miles or so. I still had 30 miles left in the battery, so I switched to normal mode. I used about 10 miles from the battery getting up to the Allegheny tunnel, and since it was downhill from there to Breezewood, I switched back to hold mode and easily got the cheaper gas after exiting as planned. This experience alone made driving 700 miles in one day worthwhile.

I kept some charge in the battery on the way out to use during the first evening in Frederick, Maryland. It was the first time my family had seen our Volt. I hadn't told them about it before. I gave them a ride, and they were very impressed. My sister thought it was cool when I pulled away from the curb, and she didn't even know the car had been running. She said it looked like an airplane cockpit inside. On the first evening, we went to the Volt restaurant in Frederick. I picked it because of the name. It is in a Victorian mansion in a historic section of Frederick, very quaint surroundings dating back to the 18th century. Looking at the menu online, I thought the prices for entrees looked reasonable, but it turns out that each dish is about small appetizer sized, so you need to order four or five of them to get a full meal. The food was excellent, though. I just ordered two dishes and ate them very slowly.

It felt very satisfying charging overnight at the hotel and driving all day on electricity, as we were used to doing at home. I used the same strategy on the way back, using hold mode on the highway. This time, I knew how far I could reach from one gas station to the next, so we didn't have any exciting moments using the battery to get there. I started burning through the battery about 40 miles from home, so we would arrive at home in the western suburbs of Chicago with an empty battery and about a third of a tank of cheap Ohio gas.

A couple of hours before reaching the Gary, Indiana area, the nav system started recalculating our route. Anyone who has driven from most areas on the east coast to Chicago is familiar with this area of I-80. There has been a never ending construction project there for over 20 years that brings traffic to a standstill for five miles or so. There is nothing worse than being close to the end of a 12-hour road trip and suddenly having half an hour or more added to it while you sit in the I-80 parking lot not knowing how much longer you will be inching along. I continue to pay for my XM traffic subscription for just such an occasion. The nav system calculated a few different routes going through Chicago during the next hour before it settled on taking I-90, which parallels I-80 for a while, and then taking some local roads to get us back onto I-80 just at the point where the traffic was starting to pick up speed. Merging in at that point was easy, and looking back at the endless line of headlights was priceless. I have always wondered how to get around that traffic. That moment was worth every bit I paid for the nav and XM subscription.

We had an odd incident on the Pennsylvania Turnpike when the nav system suddenly told us to get off an exit or two before the end of the turnpike, and routed us down an alternate route. As soon as we took the exit, the nav system told us to get back on the turnpike and continue as we were going originally. I assume it was reacting to some construction or an accident. Maybe the traffic cleared up by the next update, or maybe the whole thing was just a communication error. It confused us, but we only lost a few minutes on the unnecessary detour, so in the end, it wasn't a big deal.

I saw two other Volts during the trip, a silver one going east in Ohio on I-80 on Friday and a blue topaz one with Illinois plates going west in Ohio on Sunday. I passed the blue one twice, because I stopped for gas before leaving Ohio, and I was going faster than he was. While I was waiting for my wife at that service area in Ohio, a mother and daughter got out of their car next to mine. The mother said to her daughter, "Look, a Volt!" The daughter said in what seemed like a snide voice, "The only one you'll see on the highway." I don't know what that was about, but I told them I had just seen another one earlier that day on the highway. They laughed nervously and walked away. The Prius had naysayers when it first appeared, too. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

It was a trip of anticipation and adventure. I came home happy I had made the trip, and happy to sleep for a long night in my own bed.
    2013 White Diamond Volt, fully loaded, built Dec 2012, delivered Dec 20, 2012, purchased Dec 31, 2012 (D-3520)

Always love to read these stories, thank you for sharing!

Agreed on the comfy ride, i'm so used to modified suspensions that the Volt just seems outright "couch on wheels" I envy your ability to charge nightly on such a long trip. I wish for a similar experience in the coming months.

As for the Nav, on my recent road trip, i noticed that regardless of which setting i used (fastest, shortest, etc.) it would take me one particular road that just wasn't very efficient nor was it fast or short. I had my Android Nav app on at the same time and i followed that instead. Also, XM NavTraffic on the Volt was useless between Houston and Fredericksburg (no data,) so i eventually did get stuck in traffic on I-10. :\

While it was recalculating, I did tell it to avoid a couple of road segments I knew weren't going to save time. That got me a pretty good route home.
    2013 White Diamond Volt, fully loaded, built Dec 2012, delivered Dec 20, 2012, purchased Dec 31, 2012 (D-3520)

Advertisement

This is a great write-up!

I wish that I'd written notes on our trip because quite a bit of it has become tangled in my mind.

Like you, the only fatigue we experienced was during events outside of the vehicle - site-seeing stops that involved climbing or walking distances. I did discover that reclining the driver's seat about 5 clicks from the vertical was my Sweet stop for the lumbar.

We got similar MPGcs numbers. We only charged twice at our kid's home and didn't even look for opportunities along the way.

2013 Volt Purchased Mid-Nov-2012.JPG

Again, GREAT post!
    Norm

Status - Build-date 16 Oct 2012
    Status - Delivery date 16 Nov 2012
    D13751 -VoltStats
    Solar-Powered
    Ham Radio-KA5AWP
    Volt Emergency Power Wiring Kit

Nice write up Steve-o. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

What is this cheap Ohio gas? Cheap price or cheap quality?
    2012 Blue Volt
    Voltstats.net: 2012-16084 (C-6084)
    http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1028
    In my garage charging (L1) for the 1st time on 24-Mar-12
    Typical Commute: 34 to 39 miles each way (Charging at Work on L2!)
    All-Time Best....55.4 eMiles on a single charge.

Quote Originally Posted by David B. Kelting View Post
    Nice write up Steve-o. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

What is this cheap Ohio gas? Cheap price or cheap quality?
    Cheap price, which is all I care about. I don't know about quality. It burns and makes the car go, and it is premium. According to the info screen in the car, the prices on I-80 in Ohio were close to the cheapest prices in the area. It's nice to have that screen to take the guess work out of looking for good gas prices.

It was hard to find 91 octane, though. Often, all I could find was 93 octane, which is probably more expensive than what I needed.
    Last edited by Steve-o; 08-21-2013 at 09:21 PM.

I made that trip twice a year for four years and then once more returning from NY after picking up my new Volt. What's nice is the Illinois toll system transponders work through Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New Jersey tollways. I never needed to take it out of the dash cubby.

Thankfully, no more college move-ins and move-outs for me.
    Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 52,564 miles, 161 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 66%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1209 miles, 250
    MPG, 90% Electric, 10% gas, Saved 50 gal., 26 kW-hr/100 miles
    VOLT TIPS & SECRETS Free Volt Manual here: Owners Manual (PDF)

Quote Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
    What's nice is the Illinois toll system transponders work through Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New Jersey tollways. I never needed to take it out of the dash cubby.
    And I started with the toll transponder in New York before moving to the Chicago area, so I'm happy that E-ZPass works from Illinois to New York and down to Virginia. E-ZPass recently replaced my old transponder, which wasn't working in the dash storage with the smaller toll booths, with a new one of a different shape. The new one works in the storage compartment with all the tolls.

I saw a white tricoat on a trailer going west around Corning/Bath NY today. Wonder if it was a new one being delivered. Wason a trailer behind an SUV/CUV.

Good trip story. Volts work great when other EVs just dont work at all for such trips. Those ladies at the gas station must have been listening to Fox News on XM in their car and were all whipped into a Volt rage.
    Last edited by bonaire; 08-21-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    VIN: B-2672 Crystal Red - Light Neutral Leather (2-years old July 5, 2014 - 40,000 miles) Current VoltStats
    USA-made 8.16KW Solar PV - SolarWorld + PowerOne Aurora ** Installation Blog
    Thank you to Stingray Chevrolet for a great purchasing experience. Current Volts

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bonaire View Post
    I saw a white tricoat on a trailer going west around Corning/Bath NY today. Wonder if it was a new one being delivered. Wason a trailer behind an SUV/CUV.

Good trip story. Volts work great when other EVs just dont work at all for such trips. Those ladies at the gas station must have been listening to Fox News on XM in their car and were all whipped into a Volt rage.
    Just the one? I remember seeing pictures of full trailer loads of 2011's.
    2012 Blue Volt
    Voltstats.net: 2012-16084 (C-6084)
    http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1028
    In my garage charging (L1) for the 1st time on 24-Mar-12
    Typical Commute: 34 to 39 miles each way (Charging at Work on L2!)
    All-Time Best....55.4 eMiles on a single charge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text