Why would anyone NOT buy the energi model?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Why would anyone NOT buy the energi model?

Default Why would anyone NOT buy the energi model?

I am not personally interested in buying a C-Max energi, but I was looking at the numbers and something occurred to me.

C-Max Hybrid - $25,200
    C-Max Energi - $32,950

The difference in the price tag is $7,750. But factor in the $3,750 tax credit and that brings the difference down to only $4,000. And from what I've heard, Ford is giving their own $5,000 incentives on these cars. Which means you could literally buy a C-Max Energi for less money and they are better equipped than the regular hybrid. Heck, even if I had no place to plug one in, I'd still want the Energi model.
    2011 Blue Nissan Leaf SL (No QC Port)
    2012 White Chevy Volt

But....but....umm...uh..it's a Ford.
    D138058 Cyber Gray, Black Leather with Dark Argent accents - Safety 1 & 2, Radio with Nav.
    Ordered 2/5/2013
    Picked up 3/27/2013

Yup, it's a ford.....
    I bought a Volt because tru gm-volt.com, i followed the developement of the car everyday since. It buit my confidence and trust toward GM.
    When i learned that the Volt could travel 25 to 50 miles on a charge, i told myself that those numbers are honest.
    That transparency from GM inspired my confidence in the Volt and the boosted numers for the Leaf were inflated so much that now, i dont beleive their marketing numbers. As for Ford, would you beleive any numbers they give you? I dont.
    GM were very conservative in the AER while Nissan way overpromised with the Leaf.
    Ford followed the path of Nissan and cheated the buyers.
    I will buy from a seller i can trust, and both Nissan and Ford have failed at that game.
    I suspect many people share my vision of things.

My father used to say, there are 2 kind of people, those who have a GM and those who dont.
    2011 - January 5, 2K deposit
    2011 - October 5th, official order of a blue Volt
    2011 - November, Order Accepted by GM
    2011 - December, VA says Volt to be built in the week of 16, Jan.
    2012 - Feb 17th, VA says Buzz's birthday is Feb 9th.
    2012 - March 8, C 14485, Buzz is home.
    Owner of the Holy Grail of cars , Take that Japan!

Advertisement

21 mile range would cut my MPG from 240 to around only 100.... meaning I'd need to burn twice as much gas....

MrEnergyCzar
    My Chevy Volt Videos: One Year Review (click here) | Sexy Volt Car Wash (click here) |
    ................................Two Year Review (click here) | 10,000 Mile Review (click here) |
    35,000 miles on 160 gallons | 56 miles per dollar (100 MPD)
    My Social Media Sites: http://xeeme.com/MrEnergyCzar
    9/30/2011 Delivered. (8,154th Volt Produced)[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I am not personally interested in buying a C-Max energi, but I was looking at the numbers and something occurred to me.

C-Max Hybrid - $25,200
    C-Max Energi - $32,950
    It's to do with the compromises going the "Energi" route, when compared to the regular hybrid such as space (which is the main reason most buyers opt for the C-Max in the first place.)

I agree, seems like a no-brainer getting the Energi.

Well when I bought mine last spring, the energi was still few and far between (my local dealer won't carry them), no incentives (other than the fed tax), and it has much less cargo room than the hybrid. The latter was the specific reason along with a much larger passenger section that I gave up my volt for a CMax. If it were today? Yeah, I'd seriously consider the energi since I discovered that a hitch and cargo carrier can solve many capacity issues.

Another thing: the energi only comes in the higher level SEL trim so the price diff is even closer if you compare it to the price of the hybrid SEL trim which starts at $28,365 vs energi @ $29,995 with all current incentives.
    Last edited by fotomoto; 08-21-2013 at 05:53 PM.
    Doug

2013 CMax Energi (His)
    2013 CMax Hybrid SEL (Hers)
    2012 Jet Black Volt (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by MrEnergyCzar View Post
    21 mile range would cut my MPG from 240 to around only 100.... meaning I'd need to burn twice as much gas....

MrEnergyCzar
    Worse yet, those are FORD mileage estimates. If their 47 MPG turns into 38MPG real world driving, that means the 21 miles EV range of the Energi could be as little as 17 miles in real world driving!
    2012 Summit White Volt #22801
    2007 Black Pontiac Solstice GXP

Ford makes a great product and the Sync system blows way the lame infotainment in the Volt. Friend just bought the C-Max Hybrid and I have driven it, much roomier than the Volt and I like how in the C-Max, your much more upright in the seating position.
    2012 Crystal Red Volt #10921 - Plug Powered #76

Advertisement

Sync is great when it works. I have three friends with Ford Sync (3 different vehicles from the last 2 years) and they're all experiencing numerous hangups and having to reboot the system by pulling over and restarting the car. It's a common occurrence, apparently.

I agree though, Chevy could've done better with the infotainment, but given the other benefits of the Volt, i can live with it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast