A quick HID bulb question
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A quick HID bulb question

Default A quick HID bulb question

My morimoto 3five 5000k hid kit arrived this afternoon and I plan on installing it after work tonight. I just wasn't sure which way the bulbs should be installed as far as the direction of the electrode (if thats what its called). Should it be on the bottom or the top. Thank you for any help
    2012 Volt Premium in Viridian Joule
    Morimoto 3Five 5000k HIDs
    126 lifetime mpg

http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/3368

I think someone suggested the electrode should be at the bottom to minimize any shadow from it.
    Jerry, #536 2011 Volt in Fresno, CA

Thank you. That's the way I put them in. Now I just need to wait until dark and try them out. They do give the front of the car a whole new look compared to the stock halogens.
    126 lifetime mpg

Advertisement

I love mine, (same brand/model) but If I ever have to replace the bulbs, I might go with 4,000 or 4,500 ones so they were a little closer to white than blue.
    Jerry, #536 2011 Volt in Fresno, CA

Quote Originally Posted by SharkVolt View Post
    I love mine, (same brand/model) but If I ever have to replace the bulbs, I might go with 4,000 or 4,500 ones so they were a little closer to white than blue.
    I would strongly recommend lower color temps because the higher color temps (over 5000K) reflect of fog and rain and reduce your ability to see in poor weather conditions. (This is why fog lights are yellow... Not blue.) 4,000K is closer to the Volts original lamps. 4K is a better color temp choice from a safety point of view.

I went grocery shopping tonight and took a 20 mile detour on curvy dark back roads and a few busy roads to give the hids a test drive and I love them, lol. I can see a lot better now. Lines and anything with a reflector really stand out and visibility is much better on fresh paved roads then it was with the factory bulbs. I must have went by close to 100 cars and not one flashed me so their not too bright which is always good.

The real test will be the next time it rains. They gotta be somewhat better then the factory bulbs, which completely sucked.

Tomorrow I just need put the covers back on the back of the headlight fixtures. I didn't have a big enough drill bit to modify them so I figured 1 night without the covers wouldn't hurt.

And I was on the road to another 50 mile all electric run if I kept going, lol. Finished the trip with 25 miles and still had 25 miles range left
    126 lifetime mpg

Aye, install the bulb with the ground wire facing down to avoid the ground wire shadow.

Now has anyone figured out a way to aim the headlights horizontally? Mine are cross-eyed. You can watch the hotspots move closer together when backing away from a wall or spread further apart when driving towards a wall. They should be a fixed distance.
    2013 Volt Base - Summit White: Xpel Ultimate clear bra | Llumar Pinnacle tint (F50%,R15%) | Husky Weatherbeater Floorliners | Continental PureContact tires

http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/3382

Mine seem to be adjusted just right.

According to alldata, you can't adjust them horizontally, only vertically. I would try re-seating the bulbs in case one is in crooked.
    126 lifetime mpg

+ Reply to Thread