Drift back/forward on incline/decline when shifting into reverse. This happen to you?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drift back/forward on incline/decline when shifting into reverse. This happen to you?

Default Drift back/forward on incline/decline when shifting into reverse. This happen to you?

Every time I park on incline or decline and shift into reverse/drive my Volt drifts forward or backwards about an inch (or so) despite having my foot hard on the brakes. Curious if this is just my own issue or other experience it. Or is this a Volt quirk I need to get used to. The first time it happened I freaked out because I thought I was going to hit the wall I parked pretty close to.

Yeah, same here, was scary the first time. I just pulled over to answer my cell phone and did not engage the parking brake.
    Do you use the parking brake? I tried it once and the car still moved a bit.
    2013 Cyber Gray
    4.5 Kwh Home Solar Installation.
    ClipperCreek LCS-25 Charger.

Never had that happen, but if on an incline/decline I always use the emergency brake after I park. When starting up again I go through the sequence: Put fuoo on break, start Volt, put in gear, release emergency brake, release foot break and go. So at the point I put it in gear I also have the emergency break engaged.
    2013 Silver Topaz

Advertisement

I only use parking break on significant decline/incline. Okay, at least I know I'm not the only one and don't need to take it in for service.

It's caused by the trailing arm rear suspension. You will also feel the rear squatting or lifting up, depending on if your on an upgrade or down grade.

Regarding the parking brake, Does everyone know that you don't have to manually release it. Just put your foot on the Go-Pedal and it disengages automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by shoxsie View Post
    Regarding the parking brake, Does everyone know that you don't have to manually release it. Just put your foot on the Go-Pedal and it disengages automatically.
    The owner manual seems to imply that you should avoid this, but it is nice to have when you forget to disengage the parking brake. On page 9-32:

Notice: Driving with the parking brake on can overheat the brake system and cause premature wear or damage to brake system parts. Make sure that the parking brake is fully released and the Electric Parking Brake Light is off before driving.

Automatic EPB Release
    The EPB will automatically release if the vehicle is running, placed into gear, and an attempt is made to drive away. Avoid rapid acceleration when the EPB is applied, to preserve parking brake lining life.
    2013 White Diamond Volt, fully loaded, built Dec 2012, delivered Dec 20, 2012, purchased Dec 31, 2012 (D-3520)

It's not an automatic, automatic release. I know this because I walked down to the parking structure and watched the valet try to move my car. The brake was on and he obviously couldn't figure out how to release it, so I saw the rear end lift up pretty good before it starting backing out at a pretty quick rate.

I always engage the brake. My mind decided a long time ago that I should put more strain on the brake than on a transmission. Not sure if that is a correct way to look at it, but it's the way my brain works I guess. That little roll back freaks me out.

Default Parking brake use

It might also be a good thing to note that "Never Using" the parking brake can cause it to bind up from lack of use. It should be activated on purpose once in a while to assure that the mechanicals don't bind up from lack of use. The system activates the rear caliper mechanically, which is subject to a lot of road crud....
    2013 - Crystal Red - DU134030
    My "Obsession"
    Picked it up 4/19/2013
    All time best so far 56.2 Miles on Battery with 5 miles remaining

Advertisement

I'm picking my '13 Volt this Saturday.
    The lack of a proper Old School Mechanical Emergency/Parking Brake is one of the things I hate about a Volt.
    When the car goes black because of an EMP or the Master Cylinder goes south, I want an emergency brake that does not require electrical power.
    I have no idea how the Volt got certified with an Emergency Brake that requires electrical power.....

Back to the OP's question: Say What????? If you have your foot firmly pressing the brake pedal the car still moves forwards or backwards an INCH or so when putting it in gear???

How is that explained???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast