GM Volt Forum banner

Getting stuck in "engine running due to temperature" mode

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  supafrovolt 
#1 ·
it's been a brutally cold winter up here in ny and most mornings it's dipped below the magical 26 deg f threshold, so the engine has come on frequently. i've noticed just recently that it seems i can get "stuck" in this mode... It appears to be related to the engine running in this mode whne i shut down the car. the next time i start it up, the engine comes onimmediately, and seems to run for an extended dperiod of time. if i simply reboot the car (shut it off and power it back up) the engine does not start and i can continue with battery power. is anyone else seeing behavior like this?

#2 ·
Yeah, I have seen that when I don't precondition the car and the ICE kicks in until the computer thinks the battery pack is warm enough to optimally function. I have also had the ICE stay on longer that I would have thought necessary when there is a very cold, howling wind - which has only happened about 5 days out of 10 around WDC lately.

#3 ·
I think is is tied to cabin heating. I have drivin at temperatures below 27 F and the engine runs about 30 % of the time (heat on fan only). I had to turn in the heat the other day due to frosting of the windshield and the engine ran longer. One time the engine started and I turned the heat to fan only and the engine shut off after running 10 seconds.

#4 ·
I've recently noticed that when having the climate setting at "FAN ONLY" (during <27F), the ICE runs much more frequently than when set to comfort. Leaving it to fan only nearly doubles the EV range I would typically get when the ICE does not turn on at all (27-32 F) though the ICE is extremely inefficient during this time (10-25 MPG) mostly depending on if you are stopping a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.