GM Volt Forum banner

Electric Bill

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  nhern202 
#1 ·
Everybody has been asking me, "what's going to happen to your electric bill now?'
Well, I got my first one...it was LOWER than January 2010!

OK, the Volt isn't free to operate. The car stayed home alot in January due to business travel and I was having trouble with my washing machine, therefore the electric dryer didn't get used too much. But the Volt was plugged in every minute that it was home, so I suppose the "maintenance" electric load isn't too bad.

Now I'm waiting for my $500 rebate check from my utility (LIPA).

P.S. I'm home more this month and my washer's fixed so February's bill will be the teller.

#2 ·
That's good news ! My last bill included 21 days of Volt ownership and an increase of $15.00 , and I can't tell if that increase was caused by the car, the colder weather, visitor staying in the house, or some combination. My next bill should give better clue ! But for now I am pleased not to see a significant increase........ Only a major decrease in the purchase of gasoline !!

Steve in Boca Raton

#4 ·
Hi,
I bought a “Kill A Watt EZ” outlet meter that monitors my Volts electric consumption. The device lets you enter your current cost per kwatt hour then it uses that to display a total cost of the electricity consumed through its outlet. I took my last electric bill that has kw/h cost and delivery cost sum to give me my total electric cost and divided that by the meter reading difference and got .1844

I used that figure on my “Kill A Watt EZ” outlet meter and can tell you seven days of plugged in garage storage, in avg. 22° F, has cost me about $1.90.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_322553-1558...+watts&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=ez+watts

Volt#671
NPNS!

#6 ·
Hi,
I bought a “Kill A Watt EZ” outlet meter that monitors my Volts electric consumption. The device lets you enter your current cost per kwatt hour then it uses that to display a total cost of the electricity consumed through its outlet. I took my last electric bill that has kw/h cost and delivery cost sum to give me my total electric cost and divided that by the meter reading difference and got .1844

I used that figure on my “Kill A Watt EZ” outlet meter and can tell you seven days of plugged in garage storage, in avg. 22° F, has cost me about $1.90.
Did that include any charging, or just storage/maintenance? In other words, was the Volt fully charged at the beginning of your measurement?

#7 ·
It did include some charging because I unplugged the car one day and sat in it with the climate setting at 80° then 74° and fan at half, seats on medium heat, while I played with nav and radio settings. The battery distance gauge dropped 2 miles from 38 to 36 that day before I was done about 35 minutes. I’m thinking of starting a YouTube channel with battery draining tests.
Like, how much time before the battery drains 1 mile while watching movie?
How much time before battery drains 1 mile while heated seats both on high?

Volt#671
NPNS!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.