Cargo Cover Hook Broke
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Cargo Cover Hook Broke

Default Cargo Cover Hook Broke

One of the four cargo cover plastic hooks broke today just from the stock elastic cargo cover pulling on it. Those round hooks unscrew a few degrees and can be taken off. There are two plastic tabs that lock into the plastic cargo sidewall when the hook is twisted. Anyway, just from the force of the cargo net it broke the hook. I wasn't even in the car when it happened. This isn't a big deal if the dealer has these hooks available, because without all four hooks, that stretchy cargo cover doesn't cover much of the cargo area. It's funny but when I first saw the cargo cover I said to myself there is no way that this thing is big enough to cover the area behind the rear seats
    Volt #912

This was one of the surprises when taking delivery of the Volt. I imagined a rolling cover like other vehicles, but this undersized cloth is one item that GM needs to improve on next years Volt. If the hooks break under normal use, imagine if some items are placed on top of the cover!

Thanks for the info, glad I diden't order one of these covers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by marlow View Post
    Thanks for the info, glad I diden't order one of these covers.
    I'm pretty sure the cargo cover being discussed is the one that comes standard with the Volt, not an add-on.

The part being discussed here is the stock fabric cargo area cover that is supplied with the Volt.
    Volt #912

So I know this is an old thread, but it's the only one I could find...

One of my cargo cover hooks broke the other day as I was pulling that corner of the cover off so I could put my rucksack inside. Silly and naive perhaps, but I was surprised as hell. It's a solid piece of (maybe?) ABS and it broke right off just under the ball. I could not find the piece in a cursory search, and decided to stop off at the dealer on the way home. No surprise the part is not in stock, but the price? $9 bucks and change! Two with tax was over 20 dollars! It's been over a week and I don't have the part yet, so I'll check a little later this week. It’s the ONLY thing that’s gone south in 17 months and almost 16k miles, so that nice, but what a thing to fail!
    So much Hardware! So much Software! So many Electrons! And it's got Tires, too!

#163718 "DasVolt2"
    2014 Volt, Crystal Red with EVERYTHING but polished wheels. Ours on October 25, 2014

#8954 "DasVolt"
    2012 Volt, Black, with everything.. Ours on February 14, 2012 Retired on October 25 2014 at 37,395 miles of driving pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Voltmeister View Post
    No surprise the part is not in stock, but the price? $9 bucks and change! Two with tax was over 20 dollars!
    The little rubber air flaps under the driver and passenger door edge (two per door) are $3 each. Parts are where the money is.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 84,576 miles, 135 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 74%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1366 miles, 125
    MPG, 65% Electric, 33% gas, Saved 48 gal., 27 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

Three of the hooks broke off on my cargo cover. Dealer replaced it under warranty. To prevent them from breaking again, I took them off and filled the backside with a two part epoxy.
    2013 Volt White Diamond Tricoat, Premium Trim Pkg, Mylink/Navigation, Bose Speaker System, Polished Aluminum Wheels, Safety Pkg 1, Safety Pkg 2, Cargo Net, All Weather Floor Mats & Cargo Mat, Rear Seat Storage/Barrier, Non Slip Foam Pads Door Bins & Cargo Bins, 3M Fingerprint Fading Screen Protector for the Center Stack, 3M Door Edge Protector, 3M Door Retro-reflectors, Aspheric Mirrors, Cabin Filter, Short Front Air Dam, Clipper Creek PCS-15, Clipper Creek LCS-25, Volt logo Storage Bag

Quote Originally Posted by sandimasvolt View Post
    Three of the hooks broke off on my cargo cover. Dealer replaced it under warranty. To prevent them from breaking again, I took them off and filled the backside with a two part epoxy.
    Huh, interesting idea. I may do the same after I take a close look at them. Of course, I don't use mine to hang wet laundry, haha.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 84,576 miles, 135 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 74%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1366 miles, 125
    MPG, 65% Electric, 33% gas, Saved 48 gal., 27 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Z View Post
    This was one of the surprises when taking delivery of the Volt. I imagined a rolling cover like other vehicles, but this undersized cloth is one item that GM needs to improve on next years Volt. If the hooks break under normal use, imagine if some items are placed on top of the cover!
    I can't imagine placing items on top of the cover. What would be the point? It's incredibly flimsy.
    2013 White Diamond Tricoat, polished aluminum wheels, and everything but NAV and Bose, purchased Jan. 2013. Our other car is a 2008 Prius.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text