Help-My First Problem!
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help-My First Problem!

Default Help-My First Problem!

Hi-
    Just had my first glitch. Did a quick search and can't find anything on this. On our way back from dinner, I looked down at the speedometer and everything was frozen on the center display. It said we were going 15 mph at highway speed and couldn't switch displays with the rotary nob. Wasn't too worried until I got home, turned it off, and it's still on. It's been about 10 minutes and it is still frozen at 15mph even after being plugged in and sitting for a bit.

Any ideas?

Did you hit the OnStar button and see if they could scan the car and find out anything?

Scott

Hit your blue OnStar button, and ask them to pull any diagnostic codes. Let us know what you find out ...

Good luck!
    D10453 MY2013 Silver Topaz

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Haven't heard of that happening before. You might want to try a hard re boot. Unplug the EVSE then disconnect the negative cable from the 12 volt battery and let it sit for a few minutes before reconnecting the cable. That should reset all of the electronics if it is just a computer glitch.
    Note: this probably will give you a check engine light (MIL) but it will clear itself after a few drive cycles.
    2017 Premium Siren Red - H 0157 - Hidden Content Born 2/01/16 - Delivered 2/27/2016 Hidden Content
    2013 Crystal Red - D 2516 - Delivered 10/16/2012 .... Returned to Ally 11/07/2015
    U235 Powered

OK, an update. Went back out after writing the OP, and the display was then off. Pressed OnStar button and had them pull codes-none came back.

So, a couple of things thinking back on my day because a couple of things happened for the first time today. First of all, I bought a new Android Nexus 7 tablet today and I had plugged it into the USB port to charge it. This was the first time I'd physically plugged in a device. I read a couple of things on the old forums that Chevy thought that it was possible that plugged in devices could corrupt programming. Doubt this is still true, but worth a thought. I also noticed today that my Bluetooth on my phone wouldn't connect and the voice dialing wouldn't recognize my voice and kept coming up with the wrong number. This was the first time this had happened. The VR is usually dead on.

We'll see. Hopefully just a random glitch.

Sorry you had a scare and glad it resolved itself. Don't remember anything like this. There have been reports of displays going wonky but not anything like yours. I'm not surprised that it just cleared. It probably is random. A lot of people have plugged a lot of things into the USB port without this problem appearing, so it seems unlikely this has anything to do with the Nexus tablet. However, you never know.

Problems like this are very difficult to reproduce and/or fix.

It's likely that the feed to the display has some sort of electrical problem.

It's pretty unlikely that a feed through USB would cause this since we have three years of highly technical end users on this forum and not too many display issues reported. Especially the main display.
    Driving a show car. Every day!

Don't Pokemon and drive!

------------------------
    2014 Crystal Red ELR (REDD) code R w/Cashmere interior
    L2 - GE WattStation
    iOS 10.3 on iPhone 6. MyCadillac App version 3.5.0
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Sounds like your tablet caused a brain freeze in the infotainment system. Did it and the voice controls come back to normal or is it still having issues? If it's still having issues I'd call the Volt Adviser and describe the problems to them.
    2013 White Diamond Volt Owner.
    Hidden Content

These vehicles are extremely complicated. Unless it becomes a persistant problem I wouldn't worry too much about it. While I was driving in EV mode last year the green battery icon greyed out on me one day similar to the gas pump icon. Happend twice I believe with only a couple thousand miles on the odometer. 14,500 miles on the clock now and have not experienced it since. Unless your Chevy dealer sells and services Volts on a daily basis I would not let the techs tinker with the electronics unless you feel comfortable in their ability in doing so.

Just tell yourself it was only a "hiccup" not a "glitch".
    2012- Crystal Red Tintcoat
    "WATT GA5"
    EVSE- Eaton L2 (16-amp)

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Carmelsteve View Post
    Hi-
    Just had my first glitch. Did a quick search and can't find anything on this. On our way back from dinner, I looked down at the speedometer and everything was frozen on the center display. It said we were going 15 mph at highway speed and couldn't switch displays with the rotary nob. Wasn't too worried until I got home, turned it off, and it's still on. It's been about 10 minutes and it is still frozen at 15mph even after being plugged in and sitting for a bit.

Any ideas?
    OK, an update. Went back out after writing the OP, and the display was then off. Pressed OnStar button and had them pull codes-none came back.

So, a couple of things thinking back on my day because a couple of things happened for the first time today. First of all, I bought a new Android Nexus 7 tablet today and I had plugged it into the USB port to charge it. This was the first time I'd physically plugged in a device. I read a couple of things on the old forums that Chevy thought that it was possible that plugged in devices could corrupt programming. Doubt this is still true, but worth a thought. I also noticed today that my Bluetooth on my phone wouldn't connect and the voice dialing wouldn't recognize my voice and kept coming up with the wrong number. This was the first time this had happened. The VR is usually dead on.

We'll see. Hopefully just a random glitch.
    Carmelsteve,

I apologize that you are experiencing this concern. You mentioned that your speedometer and center stack was frozen? Or was it just the center stack? Also, you mentioned plugging in your USB port. This would have no affect on the IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster) If your IPC is still freezing, I recommend getting your Volt to your dealership for diagnosis.

If you would like I can get you in touch with your Advisor to assist in arranging an appointment. If you would PM me the last 8 of your VIN and best way for you to be reached.

Thank you,

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service
    If you have any further questions feel free to contact the
    Chevrolet Customer Care Team:
    (800) 222-1020
    Chevrolet Customer Care Hours:
    Monday - Friday 9AM to 9PM EST.
    Closed on Saturday and Sunday.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit Hidden Content