Does radio ever go off?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does radio ever go off?

Default Does radio ever go off?

Is it possible to turn the radio off but still have center console screen working. Every time I turn on the nav system/energy panel(leaf button) the radio goes on. Is there any way to shut the radio off and still have the energy usage screen enabled? Also when ever I power on the car the radio goes on, no matter if it was turned off before I stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by agsdoc View Post
    Is it possible to turn the radio off but still have center console screen working. Every time I turn on the nav system/energy panel(leaf button) the radio goes on. Is there any way to shut the radio off and still have the energy usage screen enabled? Also when ever I power on the car the radio goes on, no matter if it was turned off before I stopped.
    You could simply turn the volume down. Note that the navigation voice volume and other sounds are separate configuration settings from the radio volume.

This is a famous question by now and every new Volt owner (including myself) has been frustrated with it.

Anytime the center stack touch display screen goes on, so does the radio. This might be for example turning on the climate control screen. The sudden unexpected blast of music continues to shock me. I quickly either hit mute or dial it down as quick as I can, but fact is GM needs a separate on/off button for the radio.

Maybe next year?...

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Thanks for the info and letting me know that it's not unique to my volt. BTW the car handled wonderfully in the snow today.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    This is a famous question by now and every new Volt owner (including myself) has been frustrated with it.

Anytime the center stack touch display screen goes on, so does the radio. This might be for example turning on the climate control screen. The sudden unexpected blast of music continues to shock me. I quickly either hit mute or dial it down as quick as I can, but fact is GM needs a separate on/off button for the radio.

Maybe next year?...
    amen, i've had mine for 2 days and this is VERY annoying

It's really not a big deal once you get used to it. Just turn the volume down before you shut down. Now when you power up again the volume will be right where you left it. It won't be loud unless it was loud when you last shut it off.
    VOLT # B-1276

Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    It's really not a big deal once you get used to it. Just turn the volume down before you shut down. Now when you power up again the volume will be right where you left it. It won't be loud unless it was loud when you last shut it off.
    I tend to agree. Multiple on-off/power buttons could be pretty confusing. Don't forget, the "radio" covers other sources as well: USB and HDD.

One alternative is to make the Pause function persistent, so that it stays wherever you left it--no matter what--unless you press the Pause button again. I might like that!

Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    my issue is that i commute 200m / day and i want the gps to work (with volume) without the radio working. is that possible? i need to be able to use the phone for that entire time, and the radio blaring the whole time is a deal breaker

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot28 View Post
    I tend to agree. Multiple on-off/power buttons could be pretty confusing. Don't forget, the "radio" covers other sources as well: USB and HDD.

One alternative is to make the Pause function persistent, so that it stays wherever you left it--no matter what--unless you press the Pause button again. I might like that!

i'm not necessarily advocating multiple power on / off, but a better separation of functions makes a lot more sense (at least to me). not sure why GM thought this was a good idea in the 1st place

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by drick View Post
    my issue is that i commute 200m / day and i want the gps to work (with volume) without the radio working. is that possible? i need to be able to use the phone for that entire time, and the radio blaring the whole time is a deal breaker
    Just turn down the radio. The different audio functions have different settable volumes. As to your phone, you *are* using Bluetooth, yes? Even if your radio volume is up, the radio's muted when a Bluetooth phonecall is active. So I think you're good to go.

P.S. Will you be able to charge at work, preferably at 240V? If not, a Prius will get you better gas mileage for a 200 mile commute. If you can fully recharge at work, the Volt should get you better mileage (though not enough to pay for the difference in cost - but the Volt's fun to drive!).
    Last edited by Rusty; 05-01-2011 at 03:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text