GM Volt Forum banner

Surprise? From 10,000 to 25,000 Chevy Volts in 2011

11K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  jeffhre 
#1 ·
http://www.hybridcarblog.com/surprise-from-10000-to-25000-chevy-volts-in-2011/

Demand or increased production capabilities?

Because of surprising demand, according to GM, production of the Chevy Voltwill be increased from 10,000 units in 2011 to 25,000 units.

Surprising demand? Seriously? With a few hundred thousand early adopters having already expressed interest in the Volt to GM, how exactly did demand suddenly become surprising?

“We have been pleased and a bit surprised with the initial orders for Volt, and we don’t want to miss the opportunity” said General Motors CEO and President Daniel Akerson earlier today.

It’s not a one time opportunity, is it?

Anyway, from what I recall early Volt production numbers had little to do with demand and much more to do with a controlled rollout, just in case a few bugs that only the real world ever seems to find happen to turn up.

Regardless, glad to see GM pumping up Volt production. Doubling output demonstrates both confidence and some flexibility in production capabilities. Hopefully this is a sign of quicker than expected cost reductions as well.

Other google news: http://www.google.com/search?&q=gm+volt+25000+2011

See less See more
#2 ·
Does anyone know if these 25,000 Volts include both 2011 and 2012 model years built in 2011? Or is GM increasing 2011 MY Volt production from 10,000 to 25,000? Either way this will make a lot of people happy.

#3 ·
Adarondax, good question. I wondered that myself.

My only surprise for the moment is that GM is succeeding in delivering vehicles and ramping production, whereas Nissan is floundering. I do believe their current optimism is a good indication that the Volt has been very well rung out over the past 4 years, leaving GM confident to accelerate plans. A lot of that has to do with leveraging previous technology that was already fielded - drivetrain, engine, etc., leaving only the battery and the nav system and apps as the only new items.

#16 ·
Adarondax, good question. I wondered that myself.

... leaving only the battery and the nav system and apps as the only new items.
The plus the really hard part. Integration of all of these engineered systems for the first time ever, and the software and control systems. Plus homologation of all of the above (no PZEV designation, 8 year warranty, no flex fuel) which has proven quite difficult.

#4 · (Edited)
I think Hamtramck has the capacity for about 250,000 vehicles a year. It's currently cranking out the fossil DTS and Lucerne, but my guess is the geriatric twins will be put out to pasture soon. But their replacements could be build there. I think I read somewhere the Caddy XTS is going to be built at DHAM. I think even at 50,000 Volts a year, the factory would be working well within capacity.

#5 · (Edited)
To me, "in 2011" means calendar year. Car companies are usually specific when they talk "in the 2011 model year" or "in 2011" so I have to guess it is production through Dec 31st, 2011. My thinking comes from the short-fall due to battery production and battery companies do not think in "model year" terms, but rather calendar year. LG Chem probably is promising the 25K units in 2011. How GM uses them in model years 2011 or 2012, it's up to them.

I don't believe Volt needs to distinguisn between a 2011 and 2012 model year - just run the line and stamp the production date on it. Unless the seats or paint color change into 2012 model year, what will be changing to make a different model into the 2012 model year anyway?

I've always disliked the "model year starts 6 months early" mode of US car makers. I guess it's to get people into showrooms for a new year during the time of year some of them make more money - that is the upper middle class and higher who stop getting FICA withdrawn from their paychecks about then and start looking for ways to spend the extra cash. Plus, most test drives wouldn't happen in the snow if the model year change-over was in January. Back when I made a higher salary and also when FICA stopped earlier - I'd always look at this period as a raise :) However, things have changed and any extra money goes into the mortgage and emergency savings (just in case of layoff or whatever else happens).

#17 ·
I don't believe Volt needs to distinguisn between a 2011 and 2012 model year - just run the line and stamp the production date on it. Unless the seats or paint color change into 2012 model year, what will be changing to make a different model into the 2012 model year anyway?.
They will likely do their summer shutdown before the next MY. Surprised there is no clamoring to know what the changes will be for the MY 2012, in the interests of transparency.

#7 ·
More Volts!

This uptick in production really makes me happy. I have a deposit in at a dealer in Mich. and I am no.6 on a present allocation of 4. One car in the allocation has been ordered so that puts 3 allocations waiting for order processing and 2 waiting for allocations which includes me. Glad to see that GM is looking and listening and adjusting to conditions. Keep it going GM.

And Thanks to all on this Forum...

P:D

#8 ·
This popped up on google news date Jan 18, 2011. Note sure how these get posted and if the info was another discusssion with Dan A or just the same one. Heck couldn't help bumping this "old" good news thread again anyway.

http://www.mibz.com/29897-gm-to-double-chevrolet-volt-production-in-2011.html

Dan Akerson, CEO of General motors, confirmed a hybrid version of Cadillac SRX and announced that the GM plans will built twice more Chevrolet Volt units in 2011 than initially planned.

The officials of Chevrolet US announced that General Motors will double the production number for Volt during 2011. The Americans aim to build 45,000 Chevrolet Volt units per year in 2012, and for 2011 they want to build not less than 25,000 vehicles. The reason behind the increase in production numbers is the high demand registered by this model and its introduction in more and more Chevrolet and General Motors dealerships.

The end of 2011 will mark Chevrolet Volt’s debut on the European market. The Europeans will also receive its version built by Opel and called Ampera, a vehicle that benefits from the same Voltec drive train. First, the Volt units shipped to Europe will be built at the GM plant in Hamtrack, Michigan, but the Americans might also use a European plant to built Chevrolet Volt in order to reduce the costs.

As about the hybrid version of Cadillac SRX, Dan Akerson said that “is very likely” for the model to enter production. Despite Volt’s success, the model will not be built in a Cadillac version, staying a member of the Chevrolet family for the US market.

#9 ·
Well I think I am number 7 0r 8 out of four at my local dealor ship in Michigan, Ive noted several comments from people out of state that ordered them early from here and had them shipped to them (so much for Michigans allacoations) I expect that I might end up with a 2012, the major changes when they pump up the volume will most likely be made to manufactuer them at a lower cost and try to sell them at a higher cost as long as the tax incentives still apply.

#11 ·
I know that Michigan is in this group. The dealers here are all screaming that they can't get allocation though. It seems that most dealers here have an allocation of 2 cars and no one at GM is talking about increasing that number. They also need a Volt on the floor of their stores to show perspective customers. Again, they can't get any.

#13 ·
I have been following the tracking thread. My VIN #1220 was produced on 1/26 and VIN #1515 was produced on 2/10. By my calcs that is an average of about 33 cars per day in the last two weeks. Staying at that pace will only get GM to about 7,000 units by year-end 2011. (I assumed a four day work week and 49 weeks of plant production per year, two weeks off in summer and one week off for Christmas)

If they want to make 25,000 Volts in 2011 GM would need to increase production to 143 next week and hold that number through year end. Since I doubt they will be able to immediately ramp from 33 to 143 the unit-per/day target will keep going up every week to meet 25,000. They could easily find themselves needing to produce over 200 per day.

It sounds like DHAM has the overall production capacity but what about the component suppliers and Volt assembly line?

#14 ·
They must be now working more then 4 days a week now. My order status updated this morning from 3000 to 3300 so may be they up the shifts to 6 days and adding in one day of overtime. Next would be to add a new shift. Doing that can really increase the output drastic fashion.

P

#15 ·
Adding a second shift doesn't seem to be a trivial task. Assuming that some of the folks added will already have assembly experience, they still take time to learn the new assembly techniques and get acclimated to shift work again. If they are unable to hire many with assembly line experience, then the learning curve becomes steeper and longer (and what happens to quality during that period?)

Perhaps someone with car building experience can contribute to this discussion?

WVhybrid
status = 2400

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.