Hotel/Motel Charging Stations
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Hotel/Motel Charging Stations

Default Hotel/Motel Charging Stations

Does anyone know of a source that lists hotel/motel charging stations. Planning a longish trip and could vary the route (slightly) to gain an overnight charge if I knew the hotel/motel had a station.

I am not aware of a source that focuses specifically on hotel/motel charging stations. You should just look at the various online sources that show charging stations, find your proposed destination, and search to see which hotels or motels (or nearby parking facilities) have charging stations. It's not very difficult to do.

I have found that if you call a hotel or motel in advance and explain that you own a Volt and would like to charge it, they usually are willing to allow you to plug in somewhere for free. There are several other threads on this forum covering Volt owners' experience with charging at hotels. It seems that it is rare for a hotel to decline to allow charging.
    Last edited by CharlieO1; 08-04-2013 at 08:46 AM.

PlugShare

But a Volt does not need a charging station for 2 reasons, the key one being a standard outlet fully charges it overnight.

So call any hotel you want and request a plug, and please post it in PlugShare after to benefit the EV community.

Once enough hotel plugs are seen in use, the hotel will likely take the initiative to add L2 on its own.
    '12 Chevy Volt Topaz Blue "Oppy", 49k EV miles (91%) >400 mpg lifetime
    Longest trips: 988 mi @ 49 mpg (46 MPGe), 530 mi @ 69 mpg (57 MPGe), 420 mi @ 71 mpg (59 MPGe)
    VoltStats "Hall of Fame": 10,214 mi 1 tank; 130 EV mi 1 day; 2574 mi no gas
    My other car (the gas guzzler): '08 Toyota Prius Driftwood Pearl "Prity", 150k miles, 44 to 47 mpg
    https://www.facebook.com/DriveElectricCarsNewEngland

Advertisement

5. Default

Hilton Garden Inn in Lafayette LA let me charge every night for a couple of weeks when I stayed there. I parked near the pool and they left the door to the maintenance room open for me because the plug was in the room.
    Volt # 2262, picked up on Earth Day 2011. GO VOLT! LOVE THIS CAR!

We stayed at a Quality Inn in Heber Springs AR last spring and they let me plug into an outdoor outlet. I was able to fully charge my depleted battery both nights I was there. I also top off albeit at 8 amps at my in-laws cabin over in Mountain View.

So call ahead, be flexible and bring an extension cord. But be mindful you may not be able to charge at 12 amps.
    Tom
    USAF Retired
    My garage
    2014 Lime Rock Green Stingray
    2013 Cyber Gray Volt
    Best EV Range 54.x miles (more than once)

Going to San Jose,Ca from Austin,Tx later this month. Staying at Comfort Inn in Las Cruces, NM and Riverside,Ca on the way. Hope to be able to charge both nights. Will report back.

Ian B
    Gas stations are like dinosaurs, electric is the future, wake up!!

2011 Nissan Leaf SL, 5,051 miles
    2013 Chevy Volt Blue Topaz premium package

Most new construction Microtels have at least a handful of 110V outlets in their parking lots for customers to use as needed.

Marriot generally allows L1 charging at their hotels.

I must say I stayed at 4 different Best Westerns over weekends during this summer and each one was great about letting me charge. If they had an outlet out front of the main lobby they let me use it and if they did not have any exterior ones available they were fine with me charging from the room, even giving me a cone to 'hold' the spot in front of my room.

Also, Howard Johnson in Mystic, CT was extremely helpful allowing me to charge out front as well.

Not as fast of course as having a L2 installed but I thought it was great of them to not simply turn me away like some other places do. Like bazinga said, just call (or email them like I did) ahead and inquire. A manager always got back to me and I made sure to bring the email with me so if someone at the desk was unaware of what I was doing, I could just show the email.
    2013 Volt - Crystal Red - Jet Black Leather w/ Dark Accents - Premium Trim Package - MyLink Radio with Navigation - Bose Premium Speaker System - Enhanced Safety Package 1 - Enhanced Safety Package 2 - Sport Rims with Black Inserts

Advertisement

Motel 6 in OR let me plug in. Not a lot of options but we found one.
    Rolled in on fumes and zero battery. It was nice to have 40 plus miles of battery the next day to find gas at our leisure
    Last edited by jljeeper; 08-05-2013 at 07:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast