Anyone else driving their Volt in Low Gear?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 7 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else driving their Volt in Low Gear?

Talking Anyone else driving their Volt in Low Gear?

In Low gear I noticed much more regenerative braking, and the owner's manual makes no mention about harming the Volt this way. It's so damn cool: you can be driving at 60+ MPH, shift to low and the car gently coasts until you touch the brake, THEN you get the dramatic braking effect, all the way down to 1-2 MPH. Fantastic!
    So, if shifting to Sport Mode and driving in Low, you get this very lively sporty perky responsive experience. You gotta try it!
    I don't think the Volt actually shifts any gears when Low is selected; it feels all electronic. Am I right?
    M

There's no gears, "L" is all electronic and basically gives the Volt maximum slowing power without using the brakes, i.e. maximum regen. I love how they mapped the gas pedal too; in this mode, if you're only slightly on the gas pedal, it equates to less regen, but not acceleration. Makes for a very smooth ride once you get used to it.

For the most part I've been using "L" around the city with a lot of stop and go, and "D" on the highways, unless I see somewhere ahead that I'll need to slow down more than normal.

The "L" feeling at any speed is defintely cool. With Sport mode and "L", the Volt feels like a very sporty vehicle.
    Hidden Content - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Hidden Content - Keep yourself from getting unplugged!
    Hidden Content - Keep yourself from getting unplugged!

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

Quote Originally Posted by MarvK View Post
    In Low gear I noticed much more regenerative braking, and the owner's manual makes no mention about harming the Volt this way. It's so damn cool: you can be driving at 60+ MPH, shift to low and the car gently coasts until you touch the brake, THEN you get the dramatic braking effect, all the way down to 1-2 MPH. Fantastic!
    So, if shifting to Sport Mode and driving in Low, you get this very lively sporty perky responsive experience. You gotta try it!
    I don't think the Volt actually shifts any gears when Low is selected; it feels all electronic. Am I right?
    M
    You are right. I drive mostly in Normal-L to maximixe my E-range. I learned quiclky how to feather the throttle when slowing so as not to "jerk" my passengers.

As I understand the transmission, the traction motor only shifts gears when running at speeds over 70mph. So if driving at speeds under 70, there is no shifting gears and any combination of Normal, Sport, Mountain, D or L can safely be used.

I like Sport-L when driving local roads and I'm not concerned for E-Range. For maximum E-Range, I drive in Normal-L to cushion my starts and regen as much as possible. On the highway, I use Normal-D. GM has done a great job giving us all these options. The Volt is a blast to drive and folks keep stopping me to ask about it. How cool is that?

VIN63

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

I'm using L almost exclusively as well.
    BLACK VOLT #218 - "PESTILENCE"

Same here. Mostly Normal-L for local driving. Sport-L for a few minutes of fun here and there. Normal-D only on long open stretches at highway speeds.

MC
    Volt #065

I only drive in L.
    --Colin Summers, Hidden Content and on Hidden Content as Voltaday.
    Member of the Hidden Content

Took delivery of my Captured Test Fleet Volt on November 11th 2010

Many thanks to all responders. Low is amazing! And of course thanks to GM. A marvelous result of American enginuity.

Marv

90-95% L use, but I still get a weird feeling I am going to blow out the transmission driving in L. After driving regular transmissions for 35 years, it is hard to reprogram your brain. Now if I could only stop trying to remove a non-existent key out of the steering column when I get out of the Volt
    Black w/Jet Black leather interior, polished aluminum wheels.
    Delivered 12/29/10
    Pictures Hidden Content
    Ignore the user "theBike45" he is a fake, and a oil & gas lobbyist.

I had been driving around town in Normal - D, but after reading this will see what difference going to Normal - L does in around town...that sweet SPORT mode is the best for showing off "BSD", but definitely culls a bit off the range. Have you guys noticed a difference between the - D and - L in Normal driving? I'll test it out myself as well....had been getting about 39 MPC with the Normal - D with downshifting to L when stopping (did this all the time with my Escape Hybrid).

12. Advertisement

Reading previous topics about "L" before driving the Volt encouraged me to try it. I was overjoyed at how well it works. It's as if you have carefully downshifted so you only have to press the brake for a short distance. Watch the car ahead, because you still need the friction brake. The brake travel requires a bit more distance to activate the friction brake, be careful and make sure you have fully pressed the brake pedal to stop the Volt.

It reminds me of the single pedal Disney Autopia cars. The announcer says, "To make your car go, push down on the pedal. To stop, take your foot off the pedal." One big difference, the friction brake is NOT applied in the Volt when you take your foot off the (accelerator) pedal.

http://www.themeparkaudioarchives.co...orrowland.html - Autopia Safety Spiel

What I appreciate about "L" is how it takes the guess work out of regenerative braking. You know that when you lift your foot off the accelerator, maximum regeneration occurs. It helps you stop faster too, because in that split second to get your foot on the brake, the Volt is slowing down. Where it doesn't work is when you want the Volt to act like an ICE vehicle when you stop accelerating. That is why "D" is perfect for those open roads.

Pure perfection in motion equals award winning performance.

(Limitations of regenerative braking with EV-1 reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regener...ke#Limitations )
    Last edited by Mark Z; 01-01-2011 at 10:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 7 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text