Public Charging Station Experiences
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Public Charging Station Experiences

List of Public EV Charging Station Databases/Maps January 12, 2011

Several database of EV charging stations can be found on-line. Each database uses both search functions and maps with symbols to enable station finding. No one database contains a comprehensive list of EV charging stations.

Electric Car Stations - http://electric.carstations.com/

A wiki-type listing of EV charging stations, this web site allows users to post the address, charging type, and directions to available charging stations. Users can also post photos of each charging station, links to other information about the station, and comments. While not a comprehensive list of sites, it has potential to become comprehensive. EV Charging stations outside the US are also shown. The list clearly indicates the type of charger available, either NEMA 5, SAE J1772, or induction paddle.

US Department of Energy, Alternative Fuels and Advance Vehicle Data Center, with 2 links:

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/locator/stations/ - uses a Google type map

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/fuel...locations.html - a state by state listing

This site also lists other types of alternate fueling stations, such as hydrogen or natural gas. The DOE has done a pretty good job of finding and listing charging stations. This site may be the most comprehensive available today.

Coulomb Technology - http://www.mychargepoint.net/find-stations.php

This site lists only stations connected to the ChargePoint network. Connected over local area and wide area networks, EV stations on the network display station status, as used, available, or broken. Access requires either a call to the network operator or use of a swipe card. The site shows EV stations in the Continental US, Hawaii, and Puerto Rica. Coulumb stations all have NEMA 5 connections, and most have J1772 Level 2 (240 v) connections.

Ecotality Charging Network - http://www.theevproject.com/charging-maps.php

This site lists only Blink brand charging stations installed by Ecotality. The installations are funded in part by the US Department of Energy and Chevrolet. Interestingly, a check shows some stations listed by Ecotality are not listed by the DOE database. Blink charges have only SAE J1772 Level 2 (240 v) connections.

Regional Charging Databases

California - EV Charging Newshttp://www.evchargermaps.com/

Maintained by Tom Dowling, who was an EV-1 driver (before GM canceled all EV-1 leases and crushed almost all EV-1's) and who now drives an electric RAV4. Mostly listing old induction paddle type EV charging stations, this list is almost exclusively limited to California. Last update is shown as August, 2010. The database allows comments to report charger availability. This site is probably the least comprehensive of the general listing.

New York City - Beam Charging http://beamcharging.com/

Beam installs Coulomb Technology charging stations in parking garages around the NYC area.

South Caroline - PlugIn Carolina http://www.plugincarolina.org/

PlugIn Carolina is a non-profit that is installing charging stations throughout South Carolina. The group is supported by Duke Power, SCE&G, Santee Cooper, and Lockhart Power, as well as private donations. As of early March, 2011 they had installed 40 stations, and have funding for 45 more.

Spain - Electro Maps - http://www.electromaps.com/

This site lists EV charging stations in Spain and the islands of Majorca and Eivissa. In English, Spanish, and Catalan.
    Last edited by WVhybrid; 03-06-2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: add more links

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I'd rather that you just post it as a comment in this thread, so that further discussion continues here with the previous history at our fingertips. In the FAQ I can link directly to posts, via the URL for the post number in the upper right corner of each post (e.g. mouse over the "#27" for this post).
    Ah, I hate to seem really dense, but how do I get to the FAQ? I looked in both the site FAQ and the forum FAQ and still don't have a clue.

Catching up on posts right now for the first time in several days ... I'll get your excellent post above merged in tonight. Thanks!

My FAQ is linked in my signature below. Right now the other way to get to it is:
    1. Forum home page
    2. Site Suggestions subforum (at bottom)
    3. Frequently Asked Questions

A few of us have asked Lyle to consider linking to this FAQ I've created, some way that's better than what we have now, and I guess he's thinking about it

Lyle, I'm posting a lot less offten here now, so my sig is a lot less visible. We really do need an easier way to get to this FAQ I've created. See the FAQ thread (link in sig below) for suggestions on how to do that ...
    2011 Volt #284, ordered 30-Jul-2010, built 30-Nov-2010, shipped 15-Dec-2010, delivery 22-Dec-2010, lease return 22-Dec-2013, Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - do yourself a favor and register at Hidden Content immediately so you can track your Volt's performance

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

My wife and I went Volting this afternoon and visited the College Square Shopping Center where they've installed two ChargePro Stations. The stations are mounted on an island, right at the front of the Safeway store, where you might normally find handicapped parking. Anyway, the J1772 Plug looked brand new and unused, and it mated up the the Volt perfectly and we got the little horn chirp and steady green. An hour later, we had an additional 8 miles AER. There was no charge to use it. (Pardon the pun) My wife and I felt like celebrities as we answered numerous questions about our Volt and the charger.
    I certainly liked using the charger, but it's a little too close to the front of the store for my taste. I was too paranoid about my new Volt being a target for door dings from SUV driving soccer Moms and free ranging shopping carts.

MML at the Charge Port2.jpgVolt at Safeway1.jpgMML at Charge Port1.jpgVolt at Safeway2.jpgMML at Charger.jpg

Notice that the Prius had to park in "regular parking".

Volt 0063
    Last edited by barry252; 01-23-2011 at 07:30 PM.

The list of charging station databases has been updated. If anyone knows of other listings of charging stations, please post them and I will update the list for the ChrisC FAQ.

WVhybrid
    status=4200

I had an ultimately amusing experience yesterday using one of the two public charging station setups currently in San Francisco. The units were at the Hilton Financial District (Chinatown) hotel public parking garage and were the first J1772 stations installed in the city.

The units themselves had no real instructions beyond some internationalized abstract drawings. I figured out that I needed an RFID card of some kind but upon looking at the website of the manufacturer, ParkPod, it wasn't apparent how to request one. The weekend parking attendants hadn't been trained and didn't know how to help. It turns out that the hotel has an RFID card and the attendant is supposed to waive it in front of the charging unit to enable "free" charging (after you pay the parking fees).

Just as I was giving up and beginning to drive away from the charging units, a VP from the manufacturer waved me down. It turns out they have a local office nearby and he was coincidentally stopping by to see how the units were doing (on a Saturday afternoon). He got it to work and the garage offered to charge me only for the first hour of parking.

I ended up paying $4 for 5 hours of parking and got 40+ miles worth of electricity. With gasoline at $4 a gallon in San Francisco, I effectively got free parking and freedom from oil since the recharge enabled me to make an 80 mile round trip to and from San Francisco entirely on battery!

Quote Originally Posted by WVhybrid View Post
    Ecotality Charging Network - http://www.theevproject.com/charging-maps.php

This site lists only Blink brand charging stations installed by Ecotality. The installations are funded in part by the US Department of Energy and Chevrolet. Interestingly, a check shows some stations listed by Ecotality are not listed by the DOE database. Blink charges have only SAE J1772 Level 2 (240 v) connections.
    OK...here's the message that I found today from the quoted site above:
    The EV Project website will no longer be tracking all available public electric vehicle (EV) chargers.

Moving forward, this site will only show charging maps that display the Blink™ commercial and public charging stations that are deployed for The EV Project and are compatible with the Chevrolet Volt, and the Nissan LEAF; the Blink Level 2 Commercial Pedestal Charger, equipped with the SAE J1772 EV Connector, the standard for Level 2 EV charging in the United States, as well as the Blink DC Fast Charger, outfitted with the CHAdeMO Compliant EV Connector, the CHAdeMO organization-endorsed DC Fast Charger connector used on fast-charge-capable EVs worldwide.

Please check back to be updated on the progress of The EV Project.

Default Public Charging Station in Clemson, SC

I noticed that the Clemson Area Transit (CATbus) headquarters in Clemson, SC has 2 free Level 2 chargers available 24/7, so after dropping my wife off at the gym I drove the extra 4 miles to see if I could get an hours' worth of free propulsion. The GE charging stations were in plain sight as I drove up, and I slid into an empty "Electric Vehicle Parking Only" space by one of the chargers. The GE unit is about 14" square and roughly 5' tall, with a single thick cable ending in the standard J1772 plug. A row of green LEDs along the top of the unit signaled it was ready to operate. The instructions on the unit indicated that I should wave my card in front of a sensor to begin charging, but since I had no card I just tried connecting to the Volt. Right away the Charger status LEDs turned amber, and the Volt gave its single horn chirp as charging commenced. In just under an hour I had increased my estimated range by 9 miles. Since it was 4 miles each way to the charger, I only gained 1 mile for my time, but it was worth the trip to see if public charging actually worked. It does!

-- BillK #C8623

I've now used three public charging stations in Maryland, two today alone, one at the Penn Station garage in Batlimore, the other at the Union Street parking facility on the University of Maryland campus in College Park. In all three circumstances I swiped my ChargePoint card to release the J1772 plug. The charge itself is free at these stations. So I've had good success, as use of these stations has made it possible for me to run on battery power almost all the time and has cost nothing.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by artsci View Post
    I've now used three public charging stations in Maryland, two today alone, one at the Penn Station garage in Batlimore, the other at the Union Street parking facility on the University of Maryland campus in College Park. In all three circumstances I swiped my ChargePoint card to release the J1772 plug. The charge itself is free at these stations. So I've had good success, as use of these stations has made it possible for me to run on battery power almost all the time and has cost nothing.
    You should try the phone app. You can prep the charger for use before you even get out of the car.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Volt #947 Delivered on 2/25/11 -- Sold!
    240V Blink Installed 10/28/11 -- Returned!
    2011 Jaguar XF White
    2011 Jaguar XF Gray
    1998 Lotus Esprit V8 TT
    2004 Lamborghini Murcielago 6spd Manual Coupe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 4 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text