GM Volt Forum banner

Trunk space

21K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Aircool6 
#1 ·
Can anyone who actually has possession of, or knows the exact figures of, the trunk space address that question? If I remember correctly, the Volt only has a 10 cubic ft. of trunk space. If that is true, it could be a deal killer as I am a teacher and have two small kids. Therefore, I need all the space I can get. My Ford Probe GT has close to 20 cubic ft. and fold down rear seats. I can use it also like a pickup when I want to. What are the exact dimensions of the trunk in the Volt?

#2 · (Edited)
You may be disappointed...but you do realize the rear seats fold down independently?

From this article: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Chevrolet_Volt/Interior/

Cargo
Cargo space is pretty small on the Chevrolet Volt. There is only 10.6 cubic feet of cargo space in the rear, which is less than what’s in the Honda Civicsedan – and the Civic is a compact. There is much less cargo space in the Volt than in the Toyota Prius. Nissan hasn’t released the cargo capacity of the Nissan Leaf yet, but the Nissan Versahatchback, which is smaller than the Leaf, has 17.8 cubic feet in its rear cargo area. The Leaf also lacks a gas tank, which means more cargo space. Reviewers seem to be disappointed in the cargo space in the Volt.

"The cargo space measures 10.6 cubic feet -- quite small for a hatchback."--Cars.com
"Like the Toyota Prius, the Volt features a liftback design that reveals a fairly shallow and narrow trunk."--Left Lane News

#3 ·
Interesting question. I couldn't find the dimensions of the Volt or the Probe GT trunk space. However it is interesting that both cars have identical rear seat sholder dimensions -53.9 inches. So the width of the Volt's trunk is about the same as your Probe, but the cubic volume is quite different, 10.6 for the Volt verses 18 cubic feet for the Probe, so that would mean the height or the length of the Volt is less. Looking at pictures of both vehicles, I am surprised as the Volt's rear looks deeper. Also of note is both cars are hatchbacks. The utility of the hatchback over conventional trunks for carrying outsized cargo cannot be overstated. I used to own a Saab 900 which never failed to amaze me with its cargo-carrying ability. I helped some friend move once and blew than away by transporting a full sized couch in the Saab. The Saab's trunk floor was even with the bumper so there was no lift over issues. This isn't the case with the Volt, I noticed that it had a 10 to 12 inch lift over into the trunk. I think the Probe also has a similar trunk. I think the best thing to do is take your Probe over to the dealer and compare trunks. I'm guessing that it will not be an issue.

#4 ·
I was actually going to wait until I'm closer to ordering my own Volt before registering with the forum, but I registered just now so that I could answer this question, as I seem to have some of the information people are looking for and thought I could be helpful.

When I was at the LA Auto Show about a month ago, I took along a tape measure to check some of the dimensions (forgot to do that when I went to the Volt Unplugged drive). The width of the trunk area wall-to-wall is 40 inches; as a point of comparison, I measured a Cruze also, and it's rectangular area is also 40 inches, but it has usable room outboard of the rectangular area behind the wheel wells. The length from the back bulkhead to the back seats at floor level is 32 inches; note that the rake angle of the seats and rear window will mean there is somewhat less usable space higher from the floor. The diagonal dimension of the floor is 50 inches. The height from the floor to the rear cargo cover hook (see the photos Scott linked above) is 15 inches; obviously you can load it higher with the associated reduction in rearward visibility.

I hope this is somewhat helpful...

#7 ·
Thought I would also compare my Corvair, which remember, had the fold down seat added as standard equipment in the late '60 models because of trunk space complaints!
The 1960 had 15.9 cu. ft. of trunk space according to "The Corvair Decade" by Tony Fiore which is considered the Bible of the Corvair. I found a reference to a Mechanics Illustrated article that stated that the '65 model had 4 extra cu. ft of space which would put it in the 20 cu. ft. area. It was a much lighter car than the Volt at 2650 lbs. but much, much slower. In the 110 hp. version had a 0-60 time of 17.5 seconds and 20.9 seconds in the standing 1/4 mile with a top speed of 65 mph. The 180 turbo optioned version got 17.2 seconds in the 1/4 mile at 78 mph and 10.2 seconds from 0-60. The very heavy Volt would make the Corvairs look like they were standing still.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.