Lancer PHEV Coming from Mitsubishi incl. 500hp Evo Model
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lancer PHEV Coming from Mitsubishi incl. 500hp Evo Model

Default Lancer PHEV Coming from Mitsubishi incl. 500hp Evo Model

UK's Autocar broke this news yesterday. The story was picked up by GCR this morning as well.

The story focuses more on the excitement around the possibility of a 500hp Lancer Evo hybrid (which would be interesting). But then glazes over the revelation that Mitsubishi plans to bring a standard Lancer PHEV as early as 2014. This is the first time this information has been released to my knowledge.

The Lancer PHEV is said to be based on the Outlander PHEV technology. What could make things very compelling would be if Mitsu keeps the 2-motor config (as Autocar suggests is the case), thus making the Lancer an AWD 5-seater plug-in sedan. With a 12kWh pack, depending on price this could give the Volt and Fusion Energi some competition.

Of course, a 500hp AWD Evo PHEV would be something I wouldn't mind taking for a drive either

Some quotes from the article:
    With the new-generation Lancer hatchback being readied for global launch next year and a plug-in hybrid version of that car already in the product plan, highly placed Mitsubishi executives are discussing options for a petrol-electric performance car. The model would inherit technology directly from the companyís MiEV Evolution II Pikes Peak prototype racer and take the Evo into a new performance dimension.
    Itís still early days for the car, whose viability depends on market acceptance of Mitsubishiís new plug-in hybrid PHEV technology.
    If it is built, the new Evo, whose styling is likely to be influenced by the Concept-RA shown at Detroit in 2008, will follow a less performance-orientated Lancer PHEV in the mould of the existing Outlander PHEV, itself due in the UK later this year. Like the hybrid Outlander, the Lancer PHEV is expected to combine a 2.0-litre petrol engine with two 80bhp electric motors. It should be capable of at least 150mpg and 50g/km on the European combined economy and CO2 emissions test and have an all-electric range approaching 40 miles.
    If the market takes to that car, it leaves the door open for the new Evo, and the early signs are that the Lancer PHEV could be a success. The Outlander PHEV has only been launched in Japan and the Netherlands, but Mitsubishi has already received more orders for it than expected ó a situation that has slowed the carís market rollout elsewhere.

The more electric cars the better, assuming they are well engineered and durable.
    Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 51,445 miles, 156 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 67%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1375 miles, 250
    MPG, 96% Electric, 3% gas, Saved 61 gal., 26 kW-hr/100 miles
    VOLT TIPS & SECRETS Free Volt Manual here: Owners Manual (PDF)

You've got my attention!
    The Lancer was one of the cars I was considering if I didn't go with the Volt. I would love to have either the Lancer or Outlander PHEV! Maybe, just maybe they will be out by the time my lease is up
    Love My Volt!

Blue Topaz, Black/Ceramic White Leather, Nav 2012
    New Hampshire

Advertisement

Now InsideEVs
    http://insideevs.com/500-hp-plug-in-...n-coming-soon/

Quote Originally Posted by emartin00 View Post
    You've got my attention!
    The Lancer was one of the cars I was considering if I didn't go with the Volt. I would love to have either the Lancer or Outlander PHEV! Maybe, just maybe they will be out by the time my lease is up
    When is your lease up? Barring anymore hick-ups, we should hopefully see the Outlander here by Q2'14.

Still waiting for the first AWD plug-in in the states. The Rav4EV isn't.

MrEnergyCzar
    My Chevy Volt Videos: One Year Review (click here) | Sexy Volt Car Wash (click here) |
    ................................Two Year Review (click here) | 10,000 Mile Review (click here) |
    44,000 miles on 220 gallons | 50 miles per dollar (50 MPD)
    My Social Media Sites: http://xeeme.com/MrEnergyCzar
    9/30/2011 Delivered. (8,154th Volt Produced)[/QUOTE]

There have been talks about this for a while; it started out as a proposed diesel-electric. I hope Mitsubishi has come to their senses and decided to stick to gasoline. I'd have to see verification on this, but the Outlander PHEV, I believe, is using the 4B11. The EVO would then adopt an almost identical drive train with increased motor power, Active Yaw Control, and a 4B11T that probably doubles the power output of the Outlander's ICE. Either way, if Mitsubishi can commit to the 2014 release mark that they've been promising from the beginning, the EVO PHEV will be my next vehicle.

+ Reply to Thread