GM Volt Forum banner

Trailer hitch on a Chevy Volt??

81K views 64 replies 38 participants last post by  dhrivnak 
#1 ·
So has anyone looked into or thought about how/if a trailer hitch can be installed on a Volt?

I have this electric bike:
http://epluselectricbike.com/buy-bikes-online/electric-commuter-bikes/e-surly-big-dummy

Since it's long and a bit heavier than regular bikes (due to the battery and motor), the only/best method for hauling it around is a trailer hitch mounted bike rack as opposed to the type that slips in under the trunk/hatchback lid. I'm just wondering if the undercarriage of the Volt is conducive to installing a trailer hitch like normal cars? Does anyone know?

#3 · (Edited)
The manual is pretty clear on this, "General Towing Information - The vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer or another vehicle." page 9-62

They had to modify body parts (i.e., cut) to mount those trailer hitches you saw. So, back to pavers123 question, it wouldn't be pretty or simple, but might not void the waranty like using it to pull a trailer.

#4 ·
Pavers123 - I too am in desperate need of a bike rack for our Volt. I'm not gonna do any version of a roof rack (even when they come out and I know they're not available now). The "strap-on" boot rack is not my preference - I wanna go with a "hitch mounted system". I think the two other posters got off track a bit - just so we're clear: I'm NOT INTERESTED IN TOWING ANYTHING OR ANYBODY - this is all about bikes for me.

There's a shop here in Santa Monica that is 100% dedicated to racks and they send a ton of biz to a welder in West LA. The day I dropped in they had 3 cars up on blocks with bike rack hitches being installed. This was the first Volt they'd seen, we talked in depth. The back up light sits too low for the hitch to go under the light, we'd scrape it off on every driveway. They are willing to mount it higher and simply cut into the body for a port in above the back up light, in the bumper or under the license plate. I think a hole under the plate is something I can live with (when rack is of, plate covers hole. When rack is on the plate either flips up or comes off and sticks to rack via magnets or something similar. This does set the bikes up higher than normal (high enough to catch more wind but not so high to hit the top of the garage if forgotten).

If you've made any progress - let me know. Ian

PS. yes to all, I have fit my bike in the back with both seats down - simply won't do after a mtn or cyclocross race (bike's too dirty). And, sometimes I travel with friends who are racing as well so we need seats and bikes. And no my second car won't be a mini van, it's Rav EV and sometimes I travel beyond range for races.

#7 ·
http://www.chevroletvoltage.com/index.php/Volt/

The Volt is a classy sedan which looks right at home on the streets of Beverly Hills. But does it fit the lifestyle of the driver who wants to go for a surf or race a triathlon? Is there room for a board or a bike?

My friend Colby borrowed my Volt last weekend to see if a test drive would encourage his parents to purchase. His mom has leased the Mini E for the past year, but his dad drives a SUV, so the Volt had to be able to take Dr. Trudeau (photo, at left) surfing. They were able to fit his 9 ft. board in the car and close the back by putting down the backseats and the passenger seat.

My husband Ian, a triathlon coach and an avid cyclist, needs to be able to bring several bikes at a time to races and rides. Although you can fit one bike comfortably inside the Volt with the back seats down, two bikes are not feasible, unless you don’t mind stacking them on top of each other. My friend Darell feels that the lip of the trunk is unnecessarily high and the opening of the hatchback needs to be wider for easier loading. I tend to agree, although we both love the look of the Volt and sometimes design takes precedence over practicality.

Since it is too new a vehicle model, there is currently no rack made specifically for the Volt, neither for the roof nor for the hatchback door, so we are getting a trailer hitch rack made. A custom one is required due to the low placement of the center rear light, and we will still need to carve out some of the rear bumper to allow the hitch to come from under the vehicle. We are hoping for an access point that is hidden behind the license plate. Note: the Volt cannot tow, the trailer hitch rack simply holds bicycles.

Adding a rack will increase drag and reduce mileage, but being able to attach one makes the Volt more attractive to a larger number of drivers, and to the Trudeau family, I hope.

Alexandra Paul is a longtime electric vehicle advocate, actress and former EV1 driver. She is working with Chevrolet to educate consumers about EVs and the Volt. Full disclosure, Chevrolet is paying her for her time, but her opinions will always be hers.

#9 ·
FYI, I saw a post on FB several days ago about someone who had a bike rack on their Volt. I think it went from the 38+ EV miles to like 24 EV miles when they had bikes on it.

But no big deal for those that want to go ride their bikes because bikes get awesome MPG.

#13 ·
Scott, I think the Ian in your quote is IanPeace. :) Nate
<grin> That may be ... there are so many Ian's around tho. (Doh!)

#14 ·
#17 ·
I put a hitch on my Ford Fusion Hybrid, no problem. For the distance and amount of time I would have it on, it would not be a big impact for me.

It's understandable that they would do what they could to get the best fuel mileage out for the car, BUT, aren't most of the environment types outdoors people? Wouldn't it have been even cooler if they thought of this too and designed the most efficient car with a bike rack?

#21 ·
I have a solution for volt owners. We are a trailer hitch manufacturer here in Kent Washington. Our engineers have been hard at work designing, computer testing, and real world testing our hitch for the chevy volt. The great news is that it is finished and ready for production. They come in both sizes, 1.25" and 2". The best part of the hitch is that it is a no drill installation. It is also a stealth series hitch. Our stealth series are completely hidden when not in use. Check out our video of the installation here on youtube and you can find links to order the hitch.
All of our hitches come with a lifetime warranty as well.

We are now members of the forum here. We actually heard about the need for the hitch from members of this forum and another volt forum If you have any questions please let us know, we would be more than happy to help out.

Matt
Torklift Central

#22 ·
License Plate Model Trailer Hitch- We have a volunteer!

Great News! Torklift Central has a volunteer here in Washington State. We will be completing the Research and Development next week. Once we have the video we will post it as soon as its rendered and ready for youtube. There will be a 2" and 1.25" model, each complete with templates. Pre-Orders will start once we have the video posted to youtube. Production and shipment to start in the beginning to middle of February.

Thank you all for your patience and persistence.

Matt
Torklift Central

#26 ·
Great News! Torklift Central has a volunteer here in Washington State. We will be completing the Research and Development next week. Once we have the video we will post it as soon as its rendered and ready for youtube. There will be a 2" and 1.25" model, each complete with templates. Pre-Orders will start once we have the video posted to youtube. Production and shipment to start in the beginning to middle of February.

Thank you all for your patience and persistence.

Matt
Torklift Central
Sweet! When you have time, could you tell us more about the stealth version versus the non-stealth version. And (always an and" any videos of it in use with a bike rack on the hitch??????
Bob

#24 ·
GM has been very clear that they do not intend the car to tow. Any action you take in that direction would be entirely at your own risk. HAving said that, the Volt powertrain is better suited to towing than any other small car I can name, and the body and suspension are pretty sturdy. I suspect it would work well, but I can't recommend it without having tried it or seeing something from GM. (During development testing, GM used trailers to simulate sustained hill climbs, there are a few pictures out there...)

#25 ·
I suspect that the issue is that a trailer would reduce the EV range and the engine may not be able to keep up with the increased sustained power demand at highway speeds (especially up a mountain pass). It that's the case, I can deal with the limitation. I intend to tow a small trailer short distances around town (take the raft to the lake, pick up some drywall at the hardware store, etc.).

I wish GM would just come out and give us a reason. Otherwise, my greatest fear is that towing will overheat and/or damage something expensive (battery, motor controller, motor, etc.) and the warranty will not cover it.

#30 ·
#32 ·
I'm pretty sure someone on this site has removed the rear bumper cover...but i can't find the post about it...:(

#33 ·
Ok got the invisible hitch. I have all the instructions and install looks simple enough. But I am having a hard time figuring out how to remove the bumper cover. Bottom and sides are simple enough but how to get the top off is what I can't see. Directions say to push down on the tabs and pull it off, can't see the tabs to push.

Does anyone have advise for removing the rear bumper cover?

2015 Volt

#35 ·
I have a Stealth Ecohitch on the way (thanks Torklift!), so I'll be able to add my 2 cents in the next week or so.

Decided on the stealth vs the invisi-hitch due to the lower position of the stealth version. Plus the invisi version wouldn't work well with the cargo box I intend to use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.