Leave the port door open so someone can plug you in? Useless
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Leave the port door open so someone can plug you in? Useless

Question Leave the port door open so someone can plug you in? Useless

So here's the deal. GF and I both have Volts and we share a Ge Wattstation. I intend to hook up a second charger for TMS reasons and preheating in the winter but for the time being we've been running into an issue.

At times she will leave in the afternoon and plug my car in so my TMS can run or I can preheat/cool without also having to go out first to plug the car in (we have a detached garage). Every time we do this the cars -doesn't matter which one- sends a text stating charging has been interrupted. Is there a setting we're missing in the configuration screen somewhere?

It would seem also that if anyone were to leave their Volt parked with the charge port door open near another EV that is charging, in the hopes that person would plug them in when they leave, that the car would just send a text and not start charging. It seems like the car needs to be unlocked or the key needs to be in proximity to the car for the car to start charging?
    -=Steve & Naomi=- Twin 2013 Diamond White Volts 15.68kW Solar powered

Quote Originally Posted by TwistnShift View Post
    So here's the deal. GF and I both have Volts and we share a Ge Wattstation. I intend to hook up a second charger for TMS reasons and preheating in the winter but for the time being we've been running into an issue.

At times she will leave in the afternoon and plug my car in so my TMS can run or I can preheat/cool without also having to go out first to plug the car in (we have a detached garage). Every time we do this the cars -doesn't matter which one- sends a text stating charging has been interrupted. Is there a setting we're missing in the configuration screen somewhere?

It would seem also that if anyone were to leave their Volt parked with the charge port door open near another EV that is charging, in the hopes that person would plug them in when they leave, that the car would just send a text and not start charging. It seems like the car needs to be unlocked or the key needs to be in proximity to the car for the car to start charging?
    I didn't know the answer, so I performed a test. My 2012 Volt was charging at work and was not yet fully charged. Went to it and unlocked it and removed the EVSE (L2) and then re-locked the car. Walked away and left my fob in my office and then returned to my locked Volt and plugged in. Got the soft and short horn beep and my Volt is once again charging. I can't test with my L1, as it is hanging in my garage.

Very cool that both you and your GF have Volts!

EDIT: Oh, I have one of those problematic Voltec L2 Charging Stations by SPX (no problems yet *finger crossed*).

EDITx2: Also, my setting is set to Immediate Charging.
    Last edited by David B. Kelting; 07-22-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    2012 Blue Volt
    Voltstats.net: 2012-16084 (C-6084)
    http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1028
    In my garage charging (L1) for the 1st time on 24-Mar-12
    Typical Commute: 34 to 39 miles each way (Charging at Work on L2!)
    All-Time Best....55.4 eMiles on a single charge.

Is delayed charge set?
    Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 46,590 miles, 147 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 69%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1102 miles, 201
    MPG, 88% Electric, 12% gas, Saved 45 gal., 25 kW-hr/100 miles
    VOLT TIPS & SECRETS Free Volt Manual here: Owners Manual (PDF)

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
    Is delayed charge set?
    No, both cars are set to immediate charge and both cars exhibit this behavior. If I leave my port open so she doesn't have to mess with my keys or anything and leave the car, when she moves the L2 from her car to mine my car immediately sends a text stating a charging error has occurred and the car never starts charging. No horn honk, no light, nothing. Same thing happens if I move the plug from my car to hers with her leaving her charge port open. If I go out to the car and unlock it then the car charges with no issues.
    -=Steve & Naomi=- Twin 2013 Diamond White Volts 15.68kW Solar powered

This might seem strange, but, try doing it without bringing any Volt keys with you. My theory is that the other Volt is seeing the key and locking itself out from charging with the wrong key.

In other words, the issue has something to do with there being two Volts in close proximity.
    Last edited by Loboc; 07-22-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    L+Sport and just drive!

------------------------
    2013 White Diamond (JaVolt)
    2010 HEMI RAM Quad Cab (Big Blu)
    L2 - GE WattStation
    iOS 7.1.2 on iPhone 5S. RemoteLink App version 1.9.10(910)
    http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/3090

Quote Originally Posted by Loboc View Post
    This might seem strange, but, try doing it without bringing any Volt keys with you. My theory is that the other Volt is seeing the key and locking itself out from charging with the wrong key.
    This seems reasonable...
    Paul in VT
    D-41733

Quote Originally Posted by Loboc View Post

In other words, the issue has something to do with there being two Volts in close proximity.
    Well that's not good. What if you are in public and there is some dude sitting in his Volt next to you. Does that mean you can't charge?

Also the sole notion that one Volt does not like company of its own kind is rather depressing.

What happens when you wait a few minutes between unplugging from one and plugging in the other?
    Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320

Quote Originally Posted by vdiv View Post
    Well that's not good. What if you are in public and there is some dude sitting in his Volt next to you. Does that mean you can't charge?

Also the sole notion that one Volt does not like company of its own kind is rather depressing.
    No...it is the fact the GF doesn't have his fob but HERS and is trying to plug in HIS Volt...in your scenario, hopefully you have YOUR fob when you are trying to charge...
    Paul in VT
    D-41733

Advertisement

From my experience, you don't need a fob to charge. Perhaps the GE EVSE is creating a fault when switching cars.
    B3320

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast