question about the energy info screen
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: question about the energy info screen

Default question about the energy info screen

so, today was my first day driving the volt to work...i'm working on contract away from home, so i won't get to charge every night. i charged before i left my house yesterday, then drove the 450 miles or so from PA to NC (stopping once for gas along the way). along the route, i used about half of my battery (til i got to the interstate, nearly all of the drive is highway), then put the car into hold mode. i stayed in hold mode until i got about halfway, at which point i got bored and started playing around...put the car into mountain mode and watched the battery recharge itself to fill the buffer. the trip also included a ride down fancy gap mountain, a very steep downhill grade which actually added another tick to my battery (and from the top to the bottom increased my electric range, according to the car, from 20 mi to 35 mi). once i got to the bottom of the mountain, i put it back into hold mode and drove on gas the rest of the way (about another 70 miles or so).

this morning, from hotel to work, i ran in battery mode...but when i went to the charge info screen (the one that shows mpg on this charge), the gas miles number was increasing - not the battery miles. is there something wrong here, or is the car smart enough to know that it was using miles on the battery that had been recharged by the gas engine while in mountain mode?

Any range you added from the engine running in Mountain Mode gets put on your gas miles, not your battery miles.

After all, you did get that energy from gas, so credit it to gas.
    Joined GM-Volt.com in 2008. Bought a Volt in 2013!

2013 Summit White

"The balance of power is the scale of peace. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside. Horrid mischief would ensue were one half the world deprived of the use of them; the weak would become a prey to the strong." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by crackers8199 View Post
    Is there something wrong here, or is the car smart enough to know that it was using miles on the battery that had been recharged by the gas engine while in mountain mode?
    You have in fact answered your own question.
    No nothing is wrong and yes the car is very smart. It knows when you charged it using gas.

7 August 2012 - 2013 Volt - D3079 - Blue Topaz Metallic - Pebble Beige Cloth - Comfort Package and Safety Package 1 came home.
    https://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1667

Advertisement

very cool...that's what i figured, just wanted to make sure. thanks guys!

+ Reply to Thread