Malfunction Indicator Lamp on
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Malfunction Indicator Lamp on

Default Malfunction Indicator Lamp on

I took my car into the dealership a couple of weeks ago to get a tire replaced (nail too close to sidewall). They comped the new tire, washed the car and filled it with gas (not sure if this is a GM thing or a dealership thing, but I appreciated it). They told me anytime I bring the Volt in for service they wash and fill it. Today I noticed the engine icon stays on. The owners manual calls it the "Malfunction Indicator Lamp" and says that it could be either bad fuel or the gas cap is on wrong or something more serious. I checked the gas cap and tightened it another click, but now I am wondering if they pit either bad fuel in the tank or low octane fuel. Either way I am taking it in today and getting another free tank and a wash. This time I will make sure it is 93octane.

Quote Originally Posted by Iansvolt View Post
    I took my car into the dealership a couple of weeks ago to get a tire replaced (nail too close to sidewall). They comped the new tire, washed the car and filled it with gas (not sure if this is a GM thing or a dealership thing, but I appreciated it). They told me anytime I bring the Volt in for service they wash and fill it. Today I noticed the engine icon stays on. The owners manual calls it the "Malfunction Indicator Lamp" and says that it could be either bad fuel or the gas cap is on wrong or something more serious. I checked the gas cap and tightened it another click, but now I am wondering if they pit either bad fuel in the tank or low octane fuel. Either way I am taking it in today and getting another free tank and a wash. This time I will make sure it is 93octane.
    Contact Onstar and ask them for the codes...
    Paul in VT
    D-41733

A number of people have commented that if you over fill the gas tank, it will splash into the vapor recovery canister (or something like that). This will cause the MIL to come on. I would guess your dealer overfilled the tank.
    Love My Volt!

Blue Topaz, Black/Ceramic White Leather, Nav 2012
    New Hampshire

Advertisement

I'm pretty sure that filling the tank with regular octane fuel instead of premium will not activate a MIL. More likely that it may have been overfilled, as emartin00 said. Like Paul in VT stated..."call OnStar and get the codes"...and we can look them up.
    2012 Blue Volt
    Voltstats.net: 2012-16084 (C-6084)
    http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1028
    In my garage charging (L1) for the 1st time on 24-Mar-12
    Typical Commute: 34 to 39 miles each way (Charging at Work on L2!)
    All-Time Best....55.4 eMiles on a single charge.

Overfilling can flood the canister that traps the gas fumes. You might smell some fumes in the cargo area if this happens.

This problem showed up in the 2011 MY cars but I thought they had changed the design slightly to prevent overfilling. It's been a while since anyone reported this. If you get a P043E code then you know this is probably what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by emartin00 View Post
    A number of people have commented that if you over fill the gas tank, it will splash into the vapor recovery canister (or something like that). This will cause the MIL to come on. I would guess your dealer overfilled the tank.
    I always pump gas on the slowest setting and when it clicks the first time I stop. It's a good practice to get into.
    Cory___E160205___ 2014 White Diamond Tricoat___Black Leather
    VoltStats ___ Volt Forum FAQ ___ Volt Acronyms and Abbrev.