Extended warranty options
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Extended warranty options

Default Extended warranty options

There has been some discussion regarding extended warranty options in various threads. I perused the GM site and found that GM extended warranties can be purchased at any time that the original warranty is in effect, in the case of the Volt, three years and 36K miles. Although not specifically stated, it appears that GM extended warranties can be purchased from any GM dealer. Their FAQ states that you are "encouraged" to buy it from the dealer where you bought the car.

In other words, there's no urgency to buy an extended warranty when you buy the car, and it appears that you can shop around.

I hesitate to start another Prius comparison, but of note with regard to this topic, in the Priuschat forum there are one or two Toyota dealers who specialize in online sales of extended Toyota warranties at substantial discounts. Such a situation may also exist for GM.

Details on the GM extended warranty plans and the GM extended warranty FAQ here: http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/faqs.html

There are also a number of third-party auto warranty sellers out there with varying reputations, buyer beware. With a generation one vehicle of this complexity, I personally wouldn't want to recommend going down that road. Of note, if considering an extended warranty at time of purchase, ensure that you're getting the GM one. Or just wait. You've got up to three years or 36K miles to decide.
    Last edited by Marty; 12-21-2010 at 01:19 AM.

Thanks. It was a service that you started this thread. I've been going back and forth on this in my mind and I have not started researching anything yet. This is good to know:

...that GM extended warranties can be purchased at any time that the original warranty is in effect...
    I wonder for those purchasing out of state or from a long distance away in-state or at a bordering state if/how they plan on approaching the local dealers for service for the car or for purchasing an extended warranty. There is the simple fact that at the time of purchase the car was not available locally.
    Last edited by scottf200; 12-21-2010 at 01:42 AM.

OK, I have a little more information on this after doing some research.

1. The GM extended warranty is similar to Toyota in that you can purchase it from any GM dealer at any time as long as the standard warranty is in effect (three years, 36K miles).

2. GM has three levels of service plans. Their brand name is GMPP (GM Protection Plan). The options in order from most coverage and cost to least are Major Guard, Value Guard, and Basic Guard. In my opinion, Major guard is the only one that makes sense for the Volt due to the complex electronics, heated seats, etc. The lesser two plans will keep the car running but that's about it. Road service and even temporary lodging during repair are covered.

3. There are at least two GM dealers selling the GMPP online at discounted rates. Rather than promote any one in particular or leave someone out, I'd just suggest that you use Google or your search engine of choice. Genuine ones have the GM logo and reference the GMPP and Major Guard, etc. on their website. Aftermarket warranties won't. As of today, the Volt isn't listed on any of the websites I found and at least one online dealer wasn't able to quote it by telephone although they expect to have it in their system early in 2011.

4. The mileage purchased under the GMPP is calculated in a strange (to me) way. Miles purchased are added to the odometer reading at the time of warranty purchase, and the price is adjusted accordingly. In other words, if you buy a 36K mile extended warranty when your car leaves the lot with 50 miles on it, your warranty expires when the odometer hits 36,050 (but it's cheap). If you buy it with 30,000 miles on the car, then it expires when the odometer hits 66,000 miles (but it's more costly). Years of coverage are also based the time of warranty purchase.
    Last edited by Marty; 12-21-2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Correct coverage start time based on GM FAQ.
    #639 - I =D~ my car. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

My dealer said the same thing. You can buy anytime up until 36mos but cost goes up as mileage on the car increases. Agree top warranty is a god idea but damned if the dealers don't make this process stressful with pricing and discounts all over the place. Inassume this is a big profit center for them

Dogpile will search Google, yahoo, bing and ask

I used: GMPP "Major Guard" genuine

http://www.dogpile.com/dogpile_other...7?_IceUrl=true
    Last edited by scottf200; 01-30-2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Test if sig is added.

Quote Originally Posted by travelguy2500 View Post
    My dealer said the same thing. You can buy anytime up until 36mos but cost goes up as mileage on the car increases. Agree top warranty is a god idea but damned if the dealers don't make this process stressful with pricing and discounts all over the place. Inassume this is a big profit center for them
    It's a huge profit center for them.

And, yes costs go up as mileage on the car increases but so does the time and mileage covered by the warranty. The miles covered by the warranty are added to the odometer reading at the time the warranty is purchased, not when the car is purchased. The clock starts then, too. So if you buy a 4-year 48K policy at the time you buy the car, you're wasting all but one year and 12K miles of it because that's already covered (except maybe the rental and lodging). If you buy it just before three years and 36K miles, it will cost you more but take you through a total of seven years and 84K miles.

In other words, the clock and odometer on the extended warranty start running when you buy the warranty, not when the three-year 36K base warranty expires.

From http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/faqs.html
    When does a GM Protection Plan begin?
    The term and mileage of coverage is calculated from the date of contract purchase and the current odometer mileage on the vehicle.
    When does a GM Protection Plan end?
    Vehicle service contracts purchased on all vehicles end at the time or mileage selected.

All vehicle service contracts and Smart Care vehicle maintenance contracts end at the time or mileage selected (whichever comes first) calculated from the date of contract purchase and odometer mileage at time of contract purchase. For example, a 24,000-mile plan, purchased for a vehicle with 40,000 miles, will end when the odometer reaches 64,000 miles (unless the time period expires first).
    Last edited by Marty; 12-21-2010 at 05:13 PM.

Re: Timing the purchase
    From another FAQ... at least from these guys (general 3rd party sellers?) .. they cannot sell one within a month or 1000 miles of the basic one ending.

http://gmextendedwarrantystore.com/faqs.html

Question: What makes a vehicle eligible for a GMPP Extended Warranty through the GM Extended Warranty Store?

Answer: A vehicle is eligible if it is currently covered under the original bumper-to-bumper factory warranty. If your vehicle is within 1 month and/or 1,000 miles of the factory warranty expiring, we are not permitted to sell you an extended warranty online.

If your vehicle's factory warranty is expired, you may still go to your local GM Dealer and purchase the General Motors Protection Plan. Your vehicle may require an inspection prior to this purchase to ensure that no repairs are necessary at that time.

We leased our car but extended to 15K miles per year. The extended warranty for up to 45K miles was $800 for zero deductible and $700 for $100 deductible. We declinded.

Jerry

I asked for quotes from three online GMPP vendors. I had a long talk with one rep, more details when I get them. All of the online vendors are regular GM dealers. They do the GMPP online as a way to generate additional business by selling the GMPP at discount but higher volume.

None had rates for the Volt yet, all are researching them. This likely means that many Volt dealers don't have info yet either. This seems to be similar to the US Bank and Ally situation where support information regarding Volt-specific programs isn't getting to the dealers in a timely manner. Edit: According to two sources, the Volt is in the category "Class D2". This should allow them to quote it.

I got the following information which may be useful. Based on this, it doesn't seem like there is any need to buy an extended warranty at time of purchase.

1. The rates are tiered and go up based on the vehicle mileage when purchased. 0-11999, 12000-23999 and 24000-35999 miles are the price breakpoints. The break at 11999-12000 is a fairly large increase.

2. GM revises their rates every September 1, usually (always?) upward.

So in my opinion, it makes sense if you're going to buy an extended warranty to do so in late August or when you have about 11500 miles on the car, whichever is first. Keep in mind that the warranty is an add-on to the miles and months from when the warranty is bought so late within the price tier is better for the customer.

The Major Guard is the only one that covers the annoying but expensive-to-fix stuff like window motors, radio/CD player, air conditioner, displays, charge door latch solenoid, etc. The others are pretty much drive train only.
    Last edited by Marty; 12-22-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Add class D2

12. Advertisement

What price are they asking for the three levels of extended service?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text