Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) of Volts
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) of Volts

Default Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) of Volts

As WopOnTour posted here yesterday, the dealers have to go through a Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) process on the Volts after they receive it and before they give it to you. On the one hand this is just like any car, so for example here is the PDI form for a Chevy Silverado:

http://gmhouston.com/pdi/2010SilveradoLD.pdf

On the other hand, this is a special car, and in particular the PDI calls for driving it several miles until CS mode kicks in, to confirm that that system works, and then they will want to charge it back up to some minimum SOC before handing off to the customer.

One of us here is going to be the first to go through that process. When you do, please get a copy of that PDI form (you'll be asked to sign it) or at least take a steady snapshot of it. And then post here. Thanks!

A Volt Advisor told me today that they expect the PDI process to take one full day, and certainly the dealers will want to go slow on their very first unit.
    Last edited by ChrisC; 12-14-2010 at 04:56 PM.
    2011 Volt #284, ordered 30-Jul-2010, built 30-Nov-2010, shipped 15-Dec-2010, delivery 22-Dec-2010, lease return 22-Dec-2013, Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - do yourself a favor and register at Hidden Content immediately so you can track your Volt's performance

With the flurry of deliveries starting today, just a reminder to get a copy / picture of the PDI form ...

I'm picking my volt up tomorrow so I'll try my best to snag one! I'm so excited!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Default Pre-Delivery Inspection - what is required?

Anyone know the specifics about this process? [Especially those who have already taken delivery?]
    If already posted, please provide the link.

I just want to have open eyes when I take delivery and be assured that my dealer did all they are supposed to have done.
    thanks,

Here is WopOnTour's posting from the "Tracking your Volt Order" thread ( http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....8894#post48894 ):

Now guys/gals let me say this.
    (since so many of you appear to be "newbs" to the new car experience - no offence)

But your patience will likely again be tested once your Volt reaches your delivering dealership.
    FYI GM has implemented a carefully planned pre-delivery routine and in-field quality assessment that permits your factory trained Volt technician to validate the functionality of most all of the Volt's operation and features, prior to you taking possession.

The cars are intentionally being shipped with only 2 gallons of premium fuel and a 40% SOC to permit the technician to test CS functionality and then confirm charging operations (also as protection in case of post-production storage periods) .
    These technicians have also been requested to drive the Volt only the minimum number of miles to permit verifying most all modes of Volt operation. They are also requested to use the MDI/GDS scan tool to "reset" the lifetime fuel economy data at the completion of these tests so that the numbers will reflect those of the new owner only. The vehicle will then go for pre-delivery cleaning/detailing for a showroom appearance on delivery

So my point being that some of these processes will take a little time (usually no more than a day or two) once your Volt "lands" on dealer pavement.
    So please be patient while you dealer performs these services with due diligence in order to insure your going to be 100% satisfied with your Volt and the delivery experience in general.

ENJOY ALL THAT IS VOLT!
    (aka "Just Drive and Smile")

Regards
    WopOnTour

Quote Originally Posted by Cab Driver View Post
    Here is WopOnTour's posting from the "Tracking your Volt Order" thread
    Thanks for that link!
    Now I'm wondering whether anyone who has received delivery had an experience consistent with WopOnTour's description?

Did the dealership provide a completed checklist of all these PDI steps? Was the lifetime fuel economy data actually reset? Any other observations or lessons learned from the delivery process are welcome!

My dealer today added that they're required to wait until GM's Regional Inspection Expert clears each car. I've not heard that before, and I've not seen evidence of that before in the speed of vehicle inspections holding up delivery to customers. Granted we here in California are the tail of the initial release and maybe they've rushed things through the initial customer deliveries...

Is my dealer confused, and the dealer factory trained technician's qualification and inspection all that's needed? Or is my sales manager correct, and a regional inspector's OK also needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    My dealer today added that they're required to wait until GM's Regional Inspection Expert clears each car.
    Who is your dealer and where? Mine is Rotolo, Fontana, CA. I will ask them about the process you describe above.

Quote Originally Posted by sgc View Post
    Who is your dealer and where? Mine is Rotolo, Fontana, CA. I will ask them about the process you describe above.
    Bob Stall Chevrolet, La Mesa CA (So Cal). It was certainly news to me! You appear to be fast tracked (and good for you!). The rest of us are waiting for the So Cal Volt Express Train, hopefully pulling in to station early next week.

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    My dealer today added that they're required to wait until GM's Regional Inspection Expert clears each car. I've not heard that before, and I've not seen evidence of that before in the speed of vehicle inspections holding up delivery to customers. Granted we here in California are the tail of the initial release and maybe they've rushed things through the initial customer deliveries...

Is my dealer confused, and the dealer factory trained technician's qualification and inspection all that's needed? Or is my sales manager correct, and a regional inspector's OK also needed?
    Same here in Texas. My Volt hits the ground in Austin this evening or tomorrow. My dealer said they are flying in a technician to do the Pre Delivery Inspection. I won't get the car until Tuesday or Wednesday. They will let me know on Monday morning when it will be ready. We also have a PR event that I don't have to attend but my car does, I hope this happens on Tuesday.

Jerry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text