Consumer Reports Volt Article
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Consumer Reports Volt Article

Default Consumer Reports Volt Article

Consumer Reports has put out their initial report on the Volt. I have always trusted this organization. They typically tell it like it is.....even if its not what you want to hear.
    Not surprising...they like some things about the Volt....and dont like others. Still its an interesting read. And I haven't canceled my order.....

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...olet-volt.html

Stilgar

Consumer Reports is another mouthpiece that doesn't get it. They examine the MPG in CS and forward the similarity to other cars. Call parts of the driving experience odd and annoying.
    I have driven this car twice and can relay that there is nothing odd or annoying about it. The 20-60 mph acceleration is a rush. I find the Volt experience exciting and rewarding. Most owners will use about 1 gallon of gas per week. Somewhat dissimilar to other cars on the road. Consumer Reports state they will dig deeper at a later time. Go find a refrigerator or coffee maker to review. You just don't get it.

Consumer Reports rarely does a good job when reviewing cars. They are not car people and treat cars like TVs, refrigerators and other consumer goods. A car is a high-end costly purchase for most people. It's not like buying a TV.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgar99 View Post
    Consumer Reports has put out their initial report on the Volt. I have always trusted this organization. They typically tell it like it is.....even if its not what you want to hear.
    Not surprising...they like some things about the Volt....and dont like others. Still its an interesting read. And I haven't canceled my order.....

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...olet-volt.html

Stilgar
    Trust me, if the car had a Toyota badge on it they would have LOVED everything about it.

CR does tend to look at things purely from a "cost" of ownership. Features and Quality trade offs for your dollar. They do point out lots of things that every buyer should consider like what your trade offs will be for your dollar. Your utility rate, how your drive vs. other cars that you might be interested in.

The huge caveat to all of this is that the Volt is without a doubt a car that people will fall in love with so the typical weight one would bear upon a CR review doesn't amount to much.

Make no mistake, their take on the interior accoustics and audio system will be of much interest to me.

"...modest fuel economy if straying beyond the EV range."

Modest? 37 MPG City/Hwy combined is modest? How many other cars get that? Gimmie a break. OK, we get that the Prius gets better mileage after the Volt switches to CS mode. But compared to most cars, 37 is far from modest.

Quote Originally Posted by honoreitiscom View Post
    Modest? 37 MPG City/Hwy combined is modest?
    They didn't get 37...

Once the battery is depleted and the car is essentially using only gasoline as its fuel, we averaged 30 mpg overall in mixed driving. While 30 mpg is good in general, it is no better than a conventional small sedan or subcompact.
    and

We typically got between 29 and 34 miles when running on electricity alone. We kept the car’s climate control in Auto mode during our trials, and the outdoor temperatures averaged about 50 degrees F during our stint with the Volt.
    Numbers like that we see from people who are floggers. Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't have the climate control on eco, and if they ran it hard in sport mode.

So yeah, YMMV.

I too read CR's article and am disappoinjted in their approach. I think Motor Trend got it right. The car is revolutionary in its design and its economies are secondary. Whether the CS mode gets 30-40 mpg does it really matter? What if it only got 15 mpg like the Corvette? Would it matter to most Volt buyers? Probably some, but its only noise to me. In fact, a lower mpg in CS would make me keep the battery more fully charged so I can get as much EV range as possible.

I got to test drive a Volt yesterday and it was delightful. It went from EV to CS mode while I was driving and no one asked what the mpg was at that point. The switch came smoothly and seamlessly.

I value CR's opinion on form, fit and finish, including the sound system. If I was looking to buy a Camaro or a Corvette, CR would not be my first reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    They didn't get 37...

and

Numbers like that we see from people who are floggers. Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't have the climate control on eco, and if they ran it hard in sport mode.

So yeah, YMMV.
    I'll take the EPA's word on mileage when comparing to other vehicles, which happens to agree with what most reviewer's saw. Seems disengenuous to drive the Volt in a way to achieve 30mpg in CS mode and then leave an open reference comparing "other" vehicles mileage that they must know will be filled in the reader's mind with EPA numbers.

Advertisement

at 0.11$/kWh (including all taxes and fees) and 4.25$/gallon, it makes a heck of a lot of sense up here...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text