Reasonable estimate for wiring charging station; wire through two crawl spaces?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Reasonable estimate for wiring charging station; wire through two crawl spaces?

Default Reasonable estimate for wiring charging station; wire through two crawl spaces?

Hi,

We have the estimator coming out this week and I was wondering what a reasonable estimate would be for an electrician to mount a Level 2 charge station onto either an exterior brick facade on our home, or on a pedestal next to the house, and run copper from the station to the meter - for the labor costs only not including wire or charging station or meter or meter connection. If pedestal mount the pedestal would be right next to the brick facade outside wall.

The copper from the station would most likely be through the brick facade via hammer drill hole through brick, fed down through the stud cavity and through the stud bottom plate, through subfloor and into cralwspace. Either that, or a hole dug (into dirt) along side of the foundation and copper could be fed that way, hole drilled through the header joist which is resting on the crawl space foundation, and into the crawl space. I don't mind removing drywall to feed through the joist cavity in the former version.

The two crawl spaces are separated by a foundation wall. Wire can be fed through the separating foundation wall hole already there for the duct work - between duct and foundation wall hole for that duct. Wire then goes to the back of the house most likely through another header joist in second crawl space, outside, then up along the rear outside wall of house and to the new 240v meter.

The total run of copper is approximately 52 feet plus or minus 5 feet total. Run through driveway side crawl space is about 24 feet and run through second crawl space is about 28 feet.

Both crawl spaces are low clearance require crawling on belly.
    Last edited by nadsab; 07-15-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nadsab View Post
    for the labor costs only not including wire or charging station or meter or meter connection.
    $500-1500, that would be my guesstimate. All the crawling around and gymnastics will take extra time and will be reflected in the bill.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

I'm guessing you are going to hear around $1000-$2000.
    DDs 2013 Jet Black Volt, '08 VW Passat Wagon 2.0T
    Toys '73 Buick LeSabre 455, '54 MG TF

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

My electrician would do it for me for about $300-400 if I bought the copper myself (about $150 for good 8-ga or 6-ga to future-proof it and $30 for a good breaker). If the estimator is from Bosche and this is part of some sort of EV-program, they will quote you $1000-1500.
    VIN: B-2672 Crystal Red - Light Neutral Leather (4-years owned on July 5, 2016 @ 69,000 miles) Current Hidden Content
    USA-made 8.16KW Solar PV - SolarWorld + PowerOne Aurora ** Hidden Content -- 47 MWh since 12/12/2012

Thank you to Hidden Content for a great purchasing experience. Hidden Content

I had a very similar installation. It cost me $1650 (Cdn) plus tax, but I got a 50% rebate from the Govt. of Ontario. LCS25, cable, hardware, and labour were included in that figure. I thought that was reasonable, and since I was getting a generous rebate, I didn't haggle. The service was excellent.
    2012 Volt, White, premium interior, nav and entertainment.
    2.8L/100 km., 55/45 EV and ICE lifetime
    Greenback Troll #2.75

Quote Originally Posted by bonaire View Post
    My electrician would do it for me for about $300-400 if I bought the copper myself (about $150 for good 8-ga or 6-ga to future-proof it and $30 for a good breaker). If the estimator is from Bosche and this is part of some sort of EV-program, they will quote you $1000-1500.
    Yes it is Bosche.

That is what I was thinking - If I were to do this job myself and charge someone for it, it would take me alone about 1/2 to 2/3 of the day - to run the wire and drill the holes. I would bill it for less than 500 bucks if doing it for someone. Mounting to brick is really nothing just drill into brick and mount.

I would prefer 8 gauge - I would like to go with 6 but not sure if the city inspector would like to see 6 gauge in the crawlspace.

Anyway one of the crawl spaces is difficult to maneuver in, I have been in there dozens of times doing work over the years and am willing to get in one crawl space to recieve drag and carry wire and feed it through the hole to the guy on the other side. The other crawl space is much easier to work in and would be pretty easy for the installer. I can do all the grunt work and frankly I don't think I want anyone in the difficult to work in crawl space because I want to make sure all the duct work is put back into place correctly when the job is done. I am pretty picky as to how work is done.

I hate going down there but as soon as I started talking crawl space the installer got worried on the phone and started talking about the possibility of it being over 2500 bucks.
    Last edited by nadsab; 07-15-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyodor View Post
    I had a very similar installation. It cost me $1650 (Cdn) plus tax, but I got a 50% rebate from the Govt. of Ontario. LCS25, cable, hardware, and labour were included in that figure. I thought that was reasonable, and since I was getting a generous rebate, I didn't haggle. The service was excellent.
    1,650 sounds like a reasonable price to me if everything is included.

I would be willing to help the guy if it came in that low and we could get the job done in a half day.
    Last edited by nadsab; 07-15-2013 at 01:13 PM.

me and a friend did mine for around a 100.00 and a 30 pack.......

Add about 8' to each end for termination and drops.

Depends on if Detroit makes them install conduit. It could easily top $2500 to run metal or plastic conduit including the rest of the job. What permits are required and how much? How close do they allow to a vibrating metal duct? Can you even do the run in the same chase?

How old is the house? You might have to bring other electrical up to code when doing a new install. (Again, depends on the city.) Is there aluminum wire? Is there knob-and-tube wiring?

If your power entrance (main panel) doesn't have room, they may have to replace that as well @ around $1500. What other 240v loads do you have? Is the power entrance 200amps, or larger?

Too many variables to correctly estimate without looking at the job. Assuming you have none of the above issues, I'd think around $2000.

/I did mine myself by reusing an old range circuit. Around $175 for parts at HD including a 125amp sub-panel.
    Last edited by Loboc; 07-15-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    Driving a show car. Every day! Hidden Content

------------------------
    2014 Crystal Red ELR (REDD) code R w/Cashmere interior
    L2 - GE WattStation
    iOS 10.3.2 on iPhone 6. MyCadillac App version 3.6.0
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Loboc View Post
    Depends on if Detroit makes them install conduit. It could easily top $2500 to run metal or plastic conduit including the rest of the job. What permits are required and how much? How close do they allow to a vibrating metal duct? Can you even do the run in the same chase?

How old is the house? You might have to bring other electrical up to code when doing a new install. (Again, depends on the city.) Is there aluminum wire? Is there knob-and-tube wiring?

If your power entrance (main panel) doesn't have room, they may have to replace that as well @ around $1500. What other 240v loads do you have? Is the power entrance 200amps, or larger?

Too many variables to correctly estimate without looking at the job. Assuming you have none of the above issues, I'd think around $2000.

/I did mine myself by reusing an old range circuit. Around $175 for parts at HD including a 125amp sub-panel.

There is no way they will be putting conduit in the crawl space - that would require drilling into the foundation wall separating the two crawl spaces and that is not going to happen - I won't allow it. I will turn them down if that is what they want to do and I don't even care if it is free.

Since the 240 volt line is not going into the existing service panel which is full, and will be tapped right off of the main line on the exterior of the house with it's own separate breaker box mounted to an exterior of the home, doing any other work than that should not be required because it's a totally separate circuit with it's own mini service panel and main tap right off of the main line to the house.

No Aluminum wire in the house.

And no way anyone is going to put in a new service panel. We don't need it LOL.

I do believe it is at or over 200 amp service to the home will check on that.

No knob and tube wiring house built in late 50's.
    Last edited by nadsab; 07-15-2013 at 01:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text