Frequently Asked Questions
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast

Thread: Frequently Asked Questions

Hear hear

I'm now catching up with what I've missed over the last 10 days and will update this FAQ accordingly.

Lyle, if you want to replace one of the FAQ links above, I could edit this FAQ to cover whatever material was in the FAQ being replaced.
    2011 Volt #284, ordered 30-Jul-2010, built 30-Nov-2010, shipped 15-Dec-2010, delivery 22-Dec-2010, lease return 22-Dec-2013, Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - do yourself a favor and register at Hidden Content immediately so you can track your Volt's performance

[QUOTE=ChrisC;47963]Frequently Asked Questions on this forum

You have done us all a great service with this FAQ. I recall reading about the kind of extension cord that should be used to hook the 120V charger to a plug in a parking lot. Is that in the FAQ? I am too much of a klutz to find it if it is....

Thanks for all you do.....

Good idea! It wasn't in the FAQ but is now. I just searched the forum for posts that I remember seeing and collected them in the FAQ. One of these days I'll collate all that info into one post and link to that instead.
    2011 Volt #284, ordered 30-Jul-2010, built 30-Nov-2010, shipped 15-Dec-2010, delivery 22-Dec-2010, lease return 22-Dec-2013, Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - do yourself a favor and register at Hidden Content immediately so you can track your Volt's performance

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Default Thanks for putting these FAQs together

Much easier to find needed info in them, than wading through messages.

I saved it as a favorite in the browser to make finding it easier...seems like it should be linked to under the "FAQS" on the main gm-volt page.

I see frequently that some people have this notion of "future proofing" their charger installation by using 8 or 10 gauge wire and by installing 40 amp breakers or larger. Under normal circumstances this would work ok. But of course doing this defeats the purpose of having a breaker which is purposely sized just over required load size to protect from shorts, etc. This mistaken notion has been corrected in the forums but this correction should be posted prominently in the charger FAQ so that someone hopefully does not end up burning down their house because they wanted to "future proof" their EV Charger installation.

Also for the charger FAQ... The voltec charger does not have an accomodation for someone who wants to run the wire from the top. This is done to provide protection from water getting into the charger I suppose. Since my charger is inside my garage this was not as much a concern for me, and entering the charger from the bottom was not the ideal solution for me, nor were the rear ports because I have block walls in my garage. My solution was to mount the charger to a wooden block, with a slot cut from the top of the block down to one of the rear ports. I filled the area where the wire enters the block with gray putty to protect from any "stray moisture."

Also the charger manual posted was not specific about the number of conductors required. I had thought since there are control electronics in the unit that it might require a neutral conductor for 120v electronics. This is not the case. Noting that a 12-2 conductor with ground is all that is required might be helpful.

Thanks again for putting the FAQs together, greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Marc Lee; 01-17-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Smile

Thank you, ChrisC, for putting together this FAQ and making it available to the community.

WVhybrid
    status = 1100

Thanks to the admins for moving this thread to the Newcomers sub-forum and making it sticky!
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content

Here is a link (apologize if it is posted elsewhere) to my favorite explanation of how the Volt's engine, battery and electric motors drive the wheels in different modes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80E1fOp95rA

Its a silent video and is a very simple clear explanation (at least to me).

That's a GREAT animation! Hoping for something similar on a conventional hybrid powertrain, I checked at http://www.greenmotor.co.uk/2010/10/...s-it-work.html. The composer said it's his first animation. I left a comment urging him to do another animation on a conventional hybrid, so we can better appreciate how the Volt differs.

Thanks for that video and the PMs to me suggesting other FAQ additions. I've updated the FAQ.
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content

12. Advertisement

FYI, I have been checking in here to apply FAQ updates, but only once a month or so. A couple days ago I updated the FAQ with a better link to leasing info, following queries from a friend who was picking up his Volt.

Please continue to send me a PM if you have something to suggest. I probably won't reply right away, but should get it updated in a couple weeks. And I hope to become more active here for the next 6 weeks or so as I get a bit more time. The last 4^H5^H6 months have been craaazeeeee ....

Also, a PM here is better than emailing me (if you figure out my email address). By keeping the feedback here as PMs, I can drop in here and edit the FAQ anytime, without having to go dig up the emails.
    Last edited by ChrisC; 05-30-2011 at 02:13 PM.
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text