free 240 volt chargers
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: free 240 volt chargers

Default free 240 volt chargers

My son showed me an article that stated that the first 4000 Volt buyers qualify for a free 240 volt charger and that the installation of the device is also at no charge. Is this true? How can I know if my recent Volt order makes it within the first 4000?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20...?tag=mncol;txt

Here's a video that mentions it near the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfZx6...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    My son showed me an article that stated that the first 4000 Volt buyers qualify for a free 240 volt charger and that the installation of the device is also at no charge. Is this true? How can I know if my recent Volt order makes it within the first 4000?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20...?tag=mncol;txt
    There's some discussion of this in other threads. You might try the search function. If your order is confirmed and allocated you're probably in the first 4,000. Also, not every Volt owner will want or qualify for a free charger, so the 4,000 chargers may go to the first 6,000 or so Volt buyers. There are three potential "gotchas" with the free program.

1. The charger must be installed within certain "metropolitan" zip codes. Not all of California qualifies, and much of other states may not either. There are two manufacturers participating and their zip code boundaries are slightly different. They are Coulomb and Blink.

2. The installation cost of the charger may or may not be covered, there is conflicting information. There seems to be some debate on this, as well as whether a customer can opt to do the work himself or use his own electrician in place of the program installer and still get the charger for free. Installation costs alone through the program seem to start at around $1500 and go up from there. The $1500 is for a very basic installation, a breaker and a few feet of conduit.

3. The charger must be one of two specific models, it must be networked, and you must allow the government to monitor and track its use. This probably isn't all that onerous as it will provide feedback for developing infrastructure.

GM has teamed with SPX to co-ordinate charger sales (and giveaways) and installation, although you should be able to contact Coulomb and/or Blink directly if you choose. The SPX Volt website is https://www.homecharging.spx.com/volt/.

However, if you have the means to install it yourself or hire a local electrician at a reasonable cost, you may be able to buy the non-networked Voltec charger from SPX directly for $490. Not exactly free, but if you can buy it this year you can write off 50% of its cost including installation on your taxes. This tax credit expires at the end of the year.

As of right now, SPX has not been able to sell me a Voltec charger despite several attempts to buy one and the clock is ticking on the tax credit. The demand for these units has exceeded the supply, they're ramping up manufacture, and SPX is out of stock. You need to have a confirmed Volt order at some stage in production (I'm not sure what status code, but probably at least 3000) and SPX will verify this with GM before selling you a Voltec charger. I have it on pretty good authority that they are working on the problem and hopefully will be able to at least take your money this year for tax purposes. At least one person on this forum has successfully ordered and received a Voltec charger from SPX without having to pay SPX for installation so they do exist.

Advertisement

SPX called me back and told me I'm approved for a free Coulomb charger. I pay for the install.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasSidwa View Post
    SPX called me back and told me I'm approved for a free Coulomb charger. I pay for the install.
    Can you choose the installer or do you have to go with sPX?

If you can get it installed this year you can write off half of the installation cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    If you can get it installed this year you can write off half of the installation cost.
    It's my understanding that if you owe a single penny of AMT, the half off installation cost (up to $2000) does not apply. But I'm not a tax consultant...

I already installed the wiring and breakers for my charger myself. Its a complete joke that it may cost 2000 bucks to have a electrician do if for you, do it yourself. It took me about 6 hrs. I actually installed about 110 feet of 6 gauge wire. I only did this because at some point there may be a rapid home charger that charges in less than an hour. I don't want to have to go thru the headache of rewiring again. Although depending on your wire distance a larger gauge wire may be required anyway. Review wire codes online. Anyway, even if you are afraid of putting your hand in a service panel. Do everything else. For me, it was drilling a bunch of holes in my joists from my panel to my garage, bringing it into the panel and hooking up a 40 AMP double pole breaker. Now for the DIY'ers be sure to have it in conduit when necessary (IE surface mounting wire). Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by the43k View Post
    I already installed the wiring and breakers for my charger myself. Its a complete joke that it may cost 2000 bucks to have a electrician do if for you, do it yourself.
    The $2000 may be a joke, depending, but if you don't know what you're doing then it does make sense to pay someone.

I know enough to do it myself, but I just had a garage built and had the electrician run cable (I think I have 8-gauge, not 6) to a sub-panel in the garage. If installation of the charger costs $1500 from there, that's highway robbery. I signed the contract saying I would pay an SPX-approved installer, but if that's the case I will do my best to back out.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasSidwa View Post
    Hey Chas,

So I assume you're within one of the metropolitan areas?
    Volt Emergency Power Wiring Kit - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Leaf Emergency Power Wiring Kit - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Commercial Level 1 Charging Station
    Volt/Spark/ELR Charging Reference Magnet

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic - Love the blue!

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by the43k View Post
    I already installed the wiring and breakers for my charger myself. Its a complete joke that it may cost 2000 bucks to have a electrician do if for you, do it yourself. It took me about 6 hrs. I actually installed about 110 feet of 6 gauge wire. I only did this because at some point there may be a rapid home charger that charges in less than an hour. I don't want to have to go thru the headache of rewiring again. Although depending on your wire distance a larger gauge wire may be required anyway. Review wire codes online. Anyway, even if you are afraid of putting your hand in a service panel. Do everything else. For me, it was drilling a bunch of holes in my joists from my panel to my garage, bringing it into the panel and hooking up a 40 AMP double pole breaker. Now for the DIY'ers be sure to have it in conduit when necessary (IE surface mounting wire). Good luck.
    I did the same thing (6 gauge wire). Then read that they require a 20 amp breaker to protect the charger. So now I have both a 20 amp and a 40 amp breaker in the box. Will connect to the 20 amp breaker for the Voltec and have the 40 amp breaker available for later.

Jim K.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text