Best way to plug in at Hotel?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Best way to plug in at Hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    So is that what the amber light means? "I'm charging, just not very hard." Then I'll plug everything in while I'm still hooking up the contraption (it's a bit of a pain). My Volt is currently charging up at a Holiday Inn Express in Willcox, AZ, after it's 496 mile trip from San Diego.
    See pages 9-48 to 9-50 in the Volt Owner's Manual. The solid yellow on the dash means the charge cord is OK but the vehicle is not charging. You should get solid green or flashing green on the dash. Also check for green lights on the portable charge cord box. If these aren't green, you are not good to go.

-Book

So is that what the amber light means?
    I never wrote it was amber, my dashboard light is green during the slower charge while enjoying the infotainment system. Book's post is right on. Plus, if the horn doesn't honk once, you are not charging! if the horn occasionally honks, then plug into a firmer socket. The manual goes into this seemingly nit-picky detail, but it's true.

If you don't get the green light on the dash (at the center windshield), then try plugging in without extension cords or any other stuff between the charger and wall outlet. The lower amp setting (on the charger) can be tried as well. And while on the subject, GM insists you plug into utility power. NO generators or converters! Pure utility power only!

PS: Imagine plugging in at the hotel/motel late at night, end up with a bad electrical outlet, and occasionally hear horn honking all night! With the Volt, you can unplug, make the neighbors happy and fill up with fuel in the morning!
    Last edited by Mark Z; 01-03-2011 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Z View Post
    And while on the subject, GM insists you plug into utility power. NO generators or converters! Pure utility power only!
    I may need to look into this further. I would like to be able to plug in to a remote site I may be beginning work at in February. We will be running most of our power from very large diesel generators-- I'm talking about generators about the size of a small shed here! I don't recall their power output, but I'm guess it's between 100A and 200A. They have meters on them for power output, which stay rock solid for voltage and frequency. I have to believe that the power quality is first rate; at least as good as the power you get from the lines in some areas, which can be subject to brownouts and interruptions.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Default More hotel fun

Found another advantage of plugging in at a hotel/motel on the road. After spending a week with my FIL in central TX, we've spent the last couple days with my middle child here in sunny Lubbock TX (where I've had the pleasure of seeing what ~26 degrees does to my AER).

The hotel we're staying in had promised us a spot to plug in, and sure enough they've had ONE. It's on a pillar at one end of the check-in portico, so my car's parked front and center in *the* prime spot at the hotel while it's recharging.

Which also means its under the (somewhat) watchful eyes of the front desk, and always directly being watched by a security camera. While we don't have snow forecast for tonight, if we did I'd be covered. Nice!

Tomorrow we're in Albuquerque, and the hotel there says we'll have pretty much the same arraignment parking under the portico (don't know about the security cam). We'll have to see what Flagstaff has to say our next (and last) day on the road...

Tomorrow we're in Albuquerque, and the hotel there says we'll have pretty much the same arraignment parking under the portico (don't know about the security cam).
    Have a nice layover in Albuquerque. The weather's supposed to be GREAT, high of 47 today and 48 tomorrow. (I'm just 100 miles north. You wouldn't be interested in a little side trip, would you? )

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
    Have a nice layover in Albuquerque. The weather's supposed to be GREAT, high of 47 today and 48 tomorrow.
    The weather HAS been great, which is really rather disappointing for someone wanting to test out his new Volt in the real world. Wanting a leisurely drive home from Lubbock, we called ahead to Flagstaff for the night. "Don't know if you can plug in, you'll have to call back in the morning." Got the same answer from one of the two hotels in the chain in Sedona.

The other hotel said "Sure", and we're now parked adjacent to the front door charging as I type. It's the hotel in the chain with an absolutely GORGEOUS view of the canyon wall, with a balcony to watch the sunrise and sunset. And a price to match (AAA $170 a night). Fortunately we've collected enough hotel "frequent flier" points on the trip that tonight is comped :-). Reset a trip odo when we pulled off I-17 (in CS mode). Had 196 MPG by the time we got to the hotel some 24 miles later.

Went out to the Golden Goose here in Sedona for dinner. Excellent food with ample portions, very good prices (entrees in the $14-$20ish range, I'd have expected nearly twice that), and very good service. After starting dinner thought to ask if there was a place for a PHEV to plug in. Yup, directly adjacent to the front door. And they'd be more than happy to accommodate.

Recommend!

We're finishing off our 3500+ mile trip tomorrow with the final 460 mile leg from Sedona to San Diego. The car's performed flawlessly and has been an absolute joy to drive. Comfortable, with good performance, and the best gas mileage of any car I've ever owned. Sure, it gets between 32 and 45 MPG on the open road depending on speed, temperature, terrain, and whether your dealer remembered to inflate your tires... I've seen > 40 MPG @ 65 MPH. Speed limits out here? Generally 75. The most common speed we've driven is 77-78, which has gotten in the mid 30s or so. Best mileage? I trailed a semi at 68-70 for a few miles today in Gallup, and got above 56.

But between gas and charging we've seen just a tad under 40 MPG on the trip even though it's much colder than we normally see back home. We're very pleased.

Biggest drawback? Nearly every rest stop on the trip involves an extra 10-15 minutes of discussion, talking to people who say "oh wow, is that really a Volt?!!?!". OK, not a drawback at all :-)

Michael, it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife in Albuquerque. I'm glad you were able to make the ~200 mile round trip to see an example of the Volt you'll be getting from Amarillo (hopefully you'll know soon when).

The Volt's been GREAT on the road, but it'll be nice for it to take us home tomorrow.

Michael, it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife in Albuquerque. I'm glad you were able to make the ~200 mile round trip to see an example of the Volt you'll be getting from Amarillo (hopefully you'll know soon when).
    The Volt's been GREAT on the road, but it'll be nice for it to take us home tomorrow.
    Thanks again for the Demo.

The weather HAS been great, which is really rather disappointing for someone wanting to test out his new Volt in the real world. Wanting a leisurely drive home from Lubbock, we called ahead to Flagstaff for the night. "Don't know if you can plug in, you'll have to call back in the morning." Got the same answer from one of the two hotels in the chain in Sedona.

The other hotel said "Sure", and we're now parked adjacent to the front door charging as I type. It's the hotel in the chain with an absolutely GORGEOUS view of the canyon wall, with a balcony to watch the sunrise and sunset. And a price to match (AAA $170 a night). Fortunately we've collected enough hotel "frequent flier" points on the trip that tonight is comped :-). Reset a trip odo when we pulled off I-17 (in CS mode). Had 196 MPG by the time we got to the hotel some 24 miles later.

<snip>
    It sounds like a great trip, and I love Sedona. I'm jealous!

That is a great idea. Paul S.

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Slazas View Post
    That is a great idea. Paul S.
    Not sure what the "That" is, but please be careful in using an extension cord--it MUST be properly sized/rated for the amperage load.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 8 9 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text