Best way to plug in at Hotel?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 9 LastLast

Thread: Best way to plug in at Hotel?

Good advice above on the window / extension cord / insulation method. Thanks guys!

Sort of off topic, I saw somewhere that Motel 6 was sponsoring something EV-related, so they may be more likely to be an EV-friendly place to stay. I haven't investigated that yet, but will be doing so for my trip back from DC in December.

So what is everyone thinking in terms of hotel charging etiquette? Should you always ask permission, or just plug in and see what happens?

I'm thinking at least at first I'll scope out an available outlet, then mention to the desk clerk that I noticed an outlet and ask if I can plug in overnight. If there is a cost objection, I'll offer to pay an additional $1.50 for the night, which is likely more than the cost of the charge. If I find I'm getting turned down a lot I suppose I might start plugging in without asking.

Any EV owners with experience in this area?

Quote Originally Posted by honoreitiscom View Post
    So what is everyone thinking in terms of hotel charging etiquette?
    I plan on asking when I make the reservation. A "No" will get a "Thank you for your time, I'll be staying someplace else."

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    Perhaps future iterations of the car-side connector and charge door will allow for locking the cord on the car's side.
    Perhaps a future iteration of the Volt will allow the 110 v charge cord to be directly connected via reel to the vehicle instead of being a portable accessory.

I know, because we live near Detroit, that some folks will steal anything they can. I really don't see any usefull purpose in stealing a Volt charge cord though. I am sure those folks don't own a volt and there isn't enough value in the copper wire to bother with.

I will look ahead and call to ask and the resulting comment might be NPNS just like the car. I will only stay at hotels that allow you to plug in.

Take Care, TED

Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    I really don't see any usefull purpose in stealing a Volt charge cord though.
    If they can sell 'em to a junk-yard, and decorded Volt owners have to go to junk yards to replace theirs, there's a market...

Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    I really don't see any usefull purpose in stealing a Volt charge cord though. I am sure those folks don't own a volt and there isn't enough value in the copper wire to bother with.
    One word: eBay.

Wrap some old duct tape on the cord to make it look beat up.

12. Advertisement

Since it's somewhat on topic, I'll take this opportunity to post the "installation" instructions for the 120V charger cord assembly. Of course the unit is fully portable, but mounting it off the floor/ground is generally considered desireable.

In case anyone missed it. I've posted the installation instructions for the GM Accessory "Voltec" charger in this thread
    http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....6153#post46153

HTH
    WopOnTour
    Attached Files
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 11-19-2010 at 02:31 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 9 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text