Best way to plug in at Hotel?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 9 LastLast

Thread: Best way to plug in at Hotel?

Default Best way to plug in at Hotel?

Here's a pic of 2 Volts plugged in over night at the Omaha Marriott (on the chevroletvoltage.com cross country trip to L.A.). Am I too paranoid, or are there others who fear the charger being stolen in the middle of the night? My thought for outdoor charging such as at a hotel was to plug the 120V charger into the port on the Volt, then feed it into the Volt cabin through the driver's window, then attach it to an extension cord that is fed back out the driver's window and plugged in to the outdoor power outlet. Then roll the window almost all the way up, with the cords sticking out. Make any sense?

Well these are two GM exec's (one is the marketing dude) traveling cross country to LA. They probably have a box of extra charging cords in the back.
    Last edited by MichaelH; 11-15-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by honoreitiscom View Post
    Am I too paranoid, or are there others who fear the charger being stolen in the middle of the night?
    I can't speak as to whether we're too paranoid or not, but this also troubles me. I'd feel a lot better if there was a way to actively secure the thing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

LOL
    They must have had to dial back the charge rate on both control heads to prevent those breakers from blowing!
    Certainly leaving the charge cord housing open to the elements isn't the best solution from a safety standpoint either.

Although not recommended there's really nothing wrong with what you are proposing, with the following caveat (taken directly from the owners manual)

Quote Originally Posted by Volt Owners Manual
    Warning: An extension cord should not be used to charge the vehicle. Use of an extension cord may increase the risk of electric shock or other hazards.

If an extension cord is used because of limited access to 120V AC power, use the following safeguards:

The 120V AC outlet should be GFCI protected.

The extension cord should be:
    GFCI protected.
    12 or 14 gage, 3 conductor.
    Rated for outdoor.
    I would just place the charger control head directly on the floor (not the seats due to potential heat buildup)

Something else that may help (and something I've done to prevent water intrusion and pinching when routing cables/cords/hoses into a passenger compartment) is to fashion a temporary foam seal from a short section of hot-water pipe insulation, (avail at HomeDepot) trimmed to the length of the window with a ~1" gap. You can also cut a couple of slots (at an angle) into it to slip-fit the 2 cords. Then just place it on the half-raised window, arrange the cords and roll it up "just" until a weatherproof seal is formed.

Also you if you are using the smartphone app, you might want to make sure the "unplugged" warning is engaged for extra security.

HTH
    WopOnTour
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 11-15-2010 at 06:45 PM.

I love the foam pipe insulation! What a great idea! Thanks.

If the car is disconnected from the charger without a key fob present, I'm pretty sure it starts honking like a car alarm.

Most hotels don't have windows you can open; the picture above seems like the most practical way to go, though not elegant.
    Last edited by ClarksonCote; 11-15-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Hidden Content - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Hidden Content - Keep yourself from getting unplugged!

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

Quote Originally Posted by ClarksonCote View Post
    If the car is disconnected from the charger without a key fob present, I'm pretty sure it starts honking like a car alarm.
    This is true, and effective providing you are within earshot. (although pretty much everyone seems to just ignore the honk-honk-honk of these types of theft deterrants)
    It arms when you lock the doors using the FOB and is disarmed when the doors are unlocked (either by the FOB or passively when the handle is pulled with a FOB in close proximity)

WOT

If you're on the ground floor and the climate is mild, many hotels have a nice air conditioner with a 220V 20 amp cord on the wall facing the parking lot. :-)

Also the car will alarm (lights and horn) if the charge cord is unplugged while the doors are locked.

Quote Originally Posted by WopOnTour View Post
    This is true, and effective providing you are within earshot. (although pretty much everyone seems to just ignore the honk-honk-honk of these types of theft deterrants)
    It arms when you lock the doors using the FOB and is disarmed when the doors are unlocked (either by the FOB or passively when the handle is pulled with a FOB in close proximity)

WOT
    I agree, most people ignore those alarms. I would hope that it would still deter anyone who starts to try to steal a charge cable though. Time will tell.
    Hidden Content - Provide backup power to essential appliances.

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

12. Advertisement

Perhaps future iterations of the car-side connector and charge door will allow for locking the cord on the car's side.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 9 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text