2011 Volt Maintenance Schedule
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Volt Maintenance Schedule

Default 2011 Volt Maintenance Schedule

Below is the Scheduled Maintenance for the Volt from the 2011 Owners Manual (via GM Global Service Information)

Scheduled Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by 2011 Volt Owner's Manual Required Services

Every Month
    Engine oil level check. See Engine Oil .

Engine, power electronics, and high voltage battery pack coolant level checks. See Cooling System for more information.

Fluids visual leak check. A leak in any system must be repaired and the fluid level checked.

Windshield washer fluid level check. See Washer Fluid .

Tire inflation check. See Tire Pressure .

Tire wear inspection. See Tire Inspection .

Every 12 000 km/7,500 mi
    Rotate tires. See Tire Rotation .

Every 24 000 km/15,000 mi
    Check the engine oil filter for corrosion if driving in a corrosive environment, such as areas of high humidity, along an ocean coast, and/or areas that apply road salt during winter. Have the engine oil and filter changed if the filter shows signs of corrosion. After each oil and filter change, the oil life system must be reset. See Engine Oil Life System .

Cooling systems inspection. Visually inspect the hoses, pipes, fittings, and clamps. Replace, if needed.

Windshield wiper blade inspection for wear, cracking, or contamination and windshield and wiper blade cleaning, if contaminated. See Exterior Care . Worn or damaged wiper blade replacement. See Wiper Blade Replacement .

Engine air cleaner filter inspection. See Engine Air Cleaner/Filter .

Brake system inspection. See your dealer.

Steering and suspension inspection. Visual inspection for damaged, loose, or missing parts or signs of wear.

Body hinges and latches and key lock cylinders lubrication. See Recommended Fluids and Lubricants . More frequent lubrication may be required when the vehicle is exposed to a corrosive environment, such as areas of high humidity, along an ocean coast, and/or areas that apply road salt during winter. Applying silicone grease on weatherstrips with a clean cloth makes them last longer, seal better, and not stick or squeak.

Restraint system component check. See Safety System Check .

Fuel system inspection for damage or leaks.

Exhaust system and nearby heat shields inspection for loose or damaged components.

See Propulsion System Start Check .

See Electric Drive Unit Shift Lock Control Function Check .

See Park Brake and P (Park) Mechanism Check .

Cooling systems check. See Cooling System .

Accelerator pedal check for damage, high effort, or binding. Replace if needed.

Check the sealant expiration date printed on the instruction label of the tire sealant and compressor kit. See Tire Sealant and Compressor Kit .

Hood/Decklid/Liftgate Support Gas Strut Service: Visually inspect gas strut, if equipped, for signs of wear, cracks, or other damage. Check the hold open ability of the gas strut. Contact your dealer if service is required.

Every 24 Months or When the Change Engine Oil Soon Message Displays
    Every 24 months or when the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message displays, change the engine oil and filter as soon as possible, within the next 1 000 km/600 mi. The engine oil and filter must be changed at least once every 24 months. After each oil and filter change, the oil life system must be reset. See Engine Oil Life System . More frequent changes may be required when the vehicle is exposed to a corrosive environment, such as areas of high humidity, along an ocean coast, and/or areas that apply road salt during winter.

Your dealer has trained service technicians who will perform this work and reset the system. If the engine oil life system is reset accidentally, service the vehicle within 5 000 km/3,000 mi since the last service. Reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed.

Every 80 000 km/50,000 mi
    Engine air cleaner filter replacement.

Evaporative control system inspection. Check all fuel and vapor lines and hoses for proper hook-up, routing, and condition. Check that the purge valve, if the vehicle has one, works properly. Replace as needed. An Emission Control Service. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency or the California Air Resources Board has determined that the failure to perform this maintenance item will not nullify the emission warranty or limit recall liability prior to the completion of the vehicle's useful life. We, however, urge that all recommended maintenance services be performed at the indicated intervals and the maintenance be recorded.

Every 160 000 km/100,000 mi
    Spark plug replacement. An Emission Control Service.

Every 240 000 km/150,000 mi or every 5 years, whichever occurs first
    Engine cooling system drain, flush, and refill (or every five years, whichever occurs first). See Cooling System . An Emission Control Service.

Every 240 000 km/150,000 mi or every 10 years, whichever occurs first
    Engine drive belt inspection for fraying, excessive cracks, or obvious damage. Replace, if needed.

Every 10 Years
    Air conditioning system flush and refill and desiccant replacement.
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 05-21-2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: altered formatting for better read-ability

Humm, No cabin air filter??

So, I assume " Cooling systems check. See Cooling System." is the battery cooling system, since at 100K miles is " Engine cooling system drain, flush, and refill (or every five years, whichever occurs first)."

Quote Originally Posted by MVRacing View Post
    Humm, No cabin air filter??

So, I assume "• Cooling systems check. See Cooling System." is the battery cooling system, since at 100K miles is "• Engine cooling system drain, flush, and refill (or every five years, whichever occurs first)."
    Actually the reason why the cabin filter isnt mentioned is it doesnt have one. (at least from factory) But there is a filter that technically fits both the Volt and the Cruze soon to be released, so consider it "optional" equipment.
    Typically the cabin filter replacement schedule is every 25,000 miles (40,000km) or every 24 months, whichever occurs first. However it might require more frequent replacement if you drive in areas with consistantly heavy traffic, areas with poor air quality, or high dust levels (gravel roads). Replacement may also be neccessay anytime there's a noticable reduction of air flow, poor window defogging, or odors.

On the "Coolant System Check" That's service just an underhood level check of the THREE coolant reservoirs (ICE, Power Electronics, Battery) and a visual inspection of the radiators, hoses,pumps,and fittings for any signs of coolant leakage.

HTH
    WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 04-26-2011 at 12:31 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

I think there is really one important things missing from the schedule / and the GM manual which really suprises me from GM.
    1st. 2 Year brake fluid changes.
    Brake Fluid Dot3 is hydroscopic ie: it absorbs water leading to sooner brake fade under harsh conditions and then latter
    corrosion of brake components (Expensive ABS, Master Cyclinder and wheel calipers / wheel cyclinders)

2nd. Engine Coolant bleeding procedure for when the engine resovoir is empty.
    Remember on this vehicle it is a tough job as the engine appears to sit higher than the coolant resovoir - making this very important to do this right otherwise cracked head gaskets etc. $$ could result. It's not like you can baby it like in a conventional car the power train brain will show no mercy until it overheats.

3rd ICE/Power Battery Coolant change replacement / bleed procedures when your not at a GM dealer in emergency.
    In the real world even if rare leaks can a do occur and hence it would be of reassurance to me to have this extra information.

Otherwise a very well layed out informative owners manual.

Regards,
    Martin

I have never seen an American car manufacturer recommend brake fluid changes. They surely should, but they don't. I always change my vehicles brake fluid every 30,000 miles. The old stuff comes out a rusty orange and the new fluid is clear. Bleeding air from the anti-freeze is not a time dated maintenance item. It is a procedure that is a necessary when changing coolant in cars where the engine is higher than the coolant filler.
    VOLT # B-1276

Quote Originally Posted by Aus1 View Post
    I think there is really one important things missing from the schedule / and the GM manual which really suprises me from GM.
    1st. 2 Year brake fluid changes.
    Brake Fluid Dot3 is hydroscopic ie: it absorbs water leading to sooner brake fade under harsh conditions and then latter
    corrosion of brake components (Expensive ABS, Master Cyclinder and wheel calipers / wheel cyclinders)

2nd. Engine Coolant bleeding procedure for when the engine resovoir is empty.
    Remember on this vehicle it is a tough job as the engine appears to sit higher than the coolant resovoir - making this very important to do this right otherwise cracked head gaskets etc. $$ could result. It's not like you can baby it like in a conventional car the power train brain will show no mercy until it overheats.

3rd ICE/Power Battery Coolant change replacement / bleed procedures when your not at a GM dealer in emergency.
    In the real world even if rare leaks can a do occur and hence it would be of reassurance to me to have this extra information.

Otherwise a very well layed out informative owners manual.

Regards,
    Martin
    Duplicate post

See responses to all 3 of your concerns in this link
    http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....ng-information
    WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 03-10-2011 at 05:06 PM.

I've added WopOnTour's post above to the FAQ. Thanks WVhybrid for the tip via PM!

If anyone knows of changes to this for MY 2012 Volts, please post here.

FYI, I'll be auditing and improving the FAQ next month. 2011 has been crazy for me, but it's getting better now.
    2011 Volt #284, ordered 30-Jul-2010, built 30-Nov-2010, shipped 15-Dec-2010, delivery 22-Dec-2010, lease return 22-Dec-2013, Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - do yourself a favor and register at Hidden Content immediately so you can track your Volt's performance

Shouldn't all the mileage intervals be tied to EV, ICE, or total vehicle miles? Why would I change the engine air filter if it hasn't breathed in more than 20-30% of the total miles?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Volt #947 Delivered on 2/25/11 -- Sold!
    240V Blink Installed 10/28/11 -- Returned!
    2011 Jaguar XF White
    2011 Jaguar XF Gray
    1998 Lotus Esprit V8 TT
    2004 Lamborghini Murcielago 6spd Manual Coupe

^ good point voltage, also in the prius after 4 years I believe a member tested his brake fluid for hydroscopicness and found out that the brake fluid was still good because of all the regenative braking! It seems when you dont' use the friction brakes a lot, the fluid doesn't have a chance to get hot, so in theory not being able to absorb water as much :O

12. Advertisement

Kinda reviving this thread... Moving forward with Maintenance, What has everyone "Had" to do other than a few oil changes with their VOLT's? I picked up a MY13 last week, and figured they had an all inclusive package for $720 which included all maintenance for 4years 48000 miles, oil changes, fluids, brakes, tire rotations, etc. But after closely looking at this and doing my own tire rotations and only having the dealer change the oil (thats 6-7 fully synthetic at $59.99 each) thats roughly $330. way less than $720. I think I got conned into the package and no where have I seen any battery testing or VOLT centric/specific maintenance. Kinda Crazy if you ask me but it seems like basically the same schedule as a normal ICE car.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text