+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I think we have a problem!

Default I think we have a problem!

ok stats are

2012 premium spec 11 weeks old

3900 miles

Love it...

Driving home tonight i had to do a longer than average commute that used all my electrons up. Volt switched to range extender mode, no issue. I checked my finish charge time and thougt i would through some power back into the battery for my early morning departure so switched to mountain mode, no issues.
    After 20 mins i went back to normal mode and the gas tank stayed up but was on full battery mode as ice off and power chart showing flow, still no issue.
    As i slowed down nearing the end ofmthe commute i noticed my ice mileage going up while still on battery only and showing juice still in battery. I can confirm ice was not on at this point.
    Shut vehicle down at home for an hour restarted and still gas gauge bolded ice miles in power screen going up even though on full electric. Im a bit puzzeled at this as car drives perfectly as usual.
    Its plugged in now 120v for the nigt hopefully ok by morning.
    Anyone else noticed any of these symptoms?

Thanks in advance,
    Mountie

I think it's just the Volt taking care of the "accounting". You used gas to charge the battery by using Mountain Mode, therefore the miles that you put into the battery are counted as gas miles.
    2013 - Silver Topaz - D24056

Since you used gas to charge the battery in MM, the miles you rack up, even if 100% electric show up as ICE miles.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

If you use gas to charge your battery, then the miles count as gas miles.

EDIT: Houston, there is NO problem.
    Last edited by David B. Kelting; 07-03-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    2012 Blue Volt
    Voltstats.net: 2012-16084 (C-6084)
    Hidden Content
    In my garage charging (L1) for the 1st time on 24-Mar-12
    Typical Commute: 34 to 39 miles each way (Charging at Work on L2!)Hidden Content
    All-Time Best....55.4 eMiles on a single charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountie View Post
    I checked my finish charge time and thougt i would through some power back into the battery for my early morning departure so switched to mountain mode, no issues.
    eh, why fill it with electricity from gas, as opposed to grid electricity?
    As i slowed down nearing the end ofmthe commute i noticed my ice mileage going up while still on battery only and showing juice still in battery. I can confirm ice was not on at this point.
    those are still gas miles, whether you put them in the battery ahead of time, or are actively using the generator's output.

Could be a problem of course but I agree that this is unlikely. When you move between modes like you did, how you think the miles should be calculated may not match what the car thinks. As falcon says, if the gas gauge is on screen then all the miles are gas miles, even if you're drawing all the power from the battery.

Everything actually seems perfectly normal but I don't fully understand the bolded part when you say: "Shut vehicle down at home for an hour restarted and still gas gauge bolded ice miles in power screen going up even though on full electric."

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    Could be a problem of course but I agree that this is unlikely. When you move between modes like you did, how you think the miles should be calculated may not match what the car thinks. As falcon says, if the gas gauge is on screen then all the miles are gas miles, even if you're drawing all the power from the battery.

Everything actually seems perfectly normal but I don't fully understand the bolded part when you say: "Shut vehicle down at home for an hour restarted and still gas gauge bolded ice miles in power screen going up even though on full electric."
    Sorry not a very good tech writer lol, battery greyed out and gas gauge is not greyed out. I do understand what everyone is saying about the accounting side of things but why count gas miles twice when the original mountain mode miles are counted initially? in my eyes electric is electric miles....
    The reason i wanted to charge up a bit is i would not have had time to charge fully by morning as i only have a 120v charger at the min, i do have a 240 at work which is nice.
    Regards and thanks everyone for helping a worried volt newbie in the heart of oil country Alberta.

Mountie

If you go into mountain mode before you deplete the charge at about three miles to go, you can rack up a charge to about 13-14 miles of batter and switch back to CD mode and register another 13-14 EV miles. I did that for about 140 miles when I bought my volt while driving from FL to PA. Gave up due to tired finger pressing buttons.
    VIN: B-2672 Crystal Red - Light Neutral Leather (4-years owned on July 5, 2016 @ 69,000 miles) Current Hidden Content
    USA-made 8.16KW Solar PV - SolarWorld + PowerOne Aurora ** Hidden Content -- 47 MWh since 12/12/2012

Thank you to Hidden Content for a great purchasing experience. Hidden Content

Quick update just checked on charging volt and all screens look normal now the fuel guage has been replaced by the battery. Thanks for all the quick replies.

Mountie

12. Advertisement

Sorry not a very good tech writer lol, battery greyed out and gas gauge is not greyed out. I do understand what everyone is saying about the accounting side of things but why count gas miles twice when the original mountain mode miles are counted initially? in my eyes electric is electric miles....
    Consider (numbers simplified, other factors ignored):
    Empty battery, you drive 25 miles on gas, consuming .7 or so gallons of gas.
    Empty battery, you enable mountain mode for 10 miles, and gain a charge of 15 miles, consuming .7 gallons of gas or so, then drive the remaining 15 miles on "battery".

Basically, those "electric" miles you gained from mountain mode aren't free - they're still from gas, and while mountain mode was active, your MPG would be quite low (mostly compensated by the additional range now stored in the battery).

In either case, the full 25 miles are ultimately gas-generated, which is what the car's accounting is about - it tries to distinguish electricity generated from gas, and electricity obtained from the grid. Whether it uses it immediately is irrelevant, you can pipe the same amount of electricity into the motor now, or into the battery and then the motor later.

The reason i wanted to charge up a bit is i would not have had time to charge fully by morning as i only have a 120v charger at the min, i do have a 240 at work which is nice.
    I'd rather get there with 0 range left, and charge to full, than get there with some range left partially generated from gas. If it can't make it the full way on electricity, it can still switch to gas then...
    (Especially so if electricity is cheaper than gas, keep miles with gas as the source to a minimum)
    Last edited by shiranpuri; 07-04-2013 at 12:24 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text