GM Volt Forum banner

First Long Trip

4K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  rlars1 
#1 ·
Well, long for me.
Took a 400 mile round trip on Saturday. I got 34.7 mpg on gasoline.

This was driving 65-75 (mostly 70-75) with the AC on ECO set at 72 degrees. It was hot out too, 98-101 for half the trip.

Performance wise, the Volt has enough zip to pass a car going 75. It is little strange at first for no "down shift" when passing.

I am satisfied with this.

#4 ·
I drive every other month to DC from NYC in horrible stop and go traffic to speeds in excess of 65 mph. I normally range from 40 to 44 mpg in ICE on those runs. Runs have included use of heater and Air depending on season. So as above thread said, your numbers seem low and should hopefully improve.

#5 ·
34 seems "lead foot" low. :) I got 34 only once, by doing something I wouldn't advise and since realized was an improper use of the car. I did a 360 mi trip in Mountain mode! Doh!
Since then I average 37-42. Dallas to Amarillo (360mi) and Dallas to Austin (200mi), both decent length trips. 37 is going 75 MPH with ECO AC, 2 people, uphill (about 100 feet rise compared to sea level) across the whole trip. 42 is easy to get if I keep it under 65.

#6 ·
How many miles do you have on your ICE? All new ICE require at least a couple thousand miles on it before they operate most efficiently. That could be a contributing factor in your low CS MPG.

#7 ·
Was it using regular gas and not premium? Also, check your tire pressure and Make sure it is 38 psi, at least.

#12 ·
Yes, mine gets 35mpg on regular, and just this weekend I got almost 42 on premium (albeit at slower speeds). I've seen 40mpg driving 65mph.

#8 ·
The MPG(cs) reported via OnStar on my car seems quite low compared to what I get via the odometer and live stats one the energy display. The couple of times I've filled up and done the calculation with long division, confirms the better numbers: 40 mpg @ 68 mph with climate control on Eco. Less than 1,000 miles on the engine so far.

#9 ·
Hmm ... let's see. I have 61,409 miles on my Volt, with a lifetime average of 59.3 MPG. 24,100 of those are battery / CD miles, so the 1036 gallons over 37,309 miles with the engine running (sometimes) during CS mode gives me a lifetime average of 36.0 MPG. But I drive my Volt as a regular car (I've already given at the office for energy conservation, particularly by driving the Volt instead of my Yukon XL), so I'll drive the speed I want and be comfortable. Last January, I drove a total of 1,064 miles in one day - and I wasn't nursing it along at 50 MPH.

#10 ·
BTW, my sticker says 37 MPG on gas. This is the first car I've owned, ever, where the lifetime average came within 3% of the EPA estimate over a period of 61,000 miles.

#11 ·
What we are saying is consider how the Three T's affect mileage - Temperature, Terrain and Technique. I add a forth T for Time. Time of day like how heavy traffic was/is can impact your results too.

#13 ·
Interesting results. How many miles do you have on the genset? (just curious?) I think some people have said that MPG gets better after a few breakin miles. I recently did a 600 mile weekend, mostly 75 mph and AC on Eco and averaged 37.5 hand calculated MPG (subtracted 35 miles from my calculations - the console includes the 'free' miles from the battery). I was playing with Hold and Mountain modes the whole trip, but I'm not sure I actually helped myself any. Tire PSI was 41 cold.

Boy is the ICE quiet. Really can't hear it except on the long uphills when it winds up! I wish I had to travel more!

#14 · (Edited)
Well, long for me.
Took a 400 mile round trip on Saturday. I got 34.7 mpg on gasoline.
We're averaging 38-Lifetime against ~10K miles. A few peaks ~42, but most around 37-39. About to put another 4K on the Volt without charging this summer.

By the way, I think I'm seeing a power tube as your avatar but I don't know from where it would have been installed. Maybe the finals in a 2K-watt amp or the preamp/first stage in a TV/Radio station's transmitter? I've helped pull a Klystron from the finals of a TV station's backup transmitter one night with a friend. That thing was huge!!!

#18 ·
I just did my first long trip this past weekend as well, 420 miles but over 4 days, 160 each way plus 100 EV miles while there, for a trip average of 71 mpg. On the way there got 42 mpg for the 141 gas miles, then on the way back 41 mpg for the 103 gas miles.

Speeds of 50 to 75 (mostly higher) and climate at 70-74 (outside was 80-90 degrees mostly)

The Volt mpg seems very reliable and consistent. In this case saved 3 gallons of gas over my Prius, or 33% less.

And there's no beating the gas-free all EV local miles at the destination. The "obsolete" Prius is staying home from now on! :)

#19 ·
I just did my first long trip this past weekend as well, 420 miles but over 4 days, 160 each way plus 100 EV miles while there, for a trip average of 71 mpg. On the way there got 42 mpg for the 141 gas miles, then on the way back 41 mpg for the 103 gas miles.

Speeds of 50 to 75 (mostly higher) and climate at 70-74 (outside was 80-90 degrees mostly)

The Volt mpg seems very reliable and consistent. In this case saved 3 gallons of gas over my Prius, or 33% less.

And there's no beating the gas-free all EV local miles at the destination. The "obsolete" Prius is staying home from now on! :)
I'm envious!

~2700 miles so far on this leg of our trip and averaging 38.1 MPG. But that was earned driving 65-70 on cruise- control through the Southwest deserts of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona w/110+F heat and the moutains of California, Oregon and Washington state. A few burst of 80-85 out of frustration to get around self-appointed "hall monitors" driving side-by-side probably added to the drop as well.

We've only seen one other Volt on this entire trip. I guess many Volt owners don't do many miles on or near the highway.

This pic taken in Portland after visiting several warer falls on curvy, 6-8% grade roads and before the last 200 miles driven yesterday..

Vehicle Car Multimedia

#20 ·
In June I took a week long trip to the east coast from Chicago. 2100 total miles at 41.6 MPG and the car was packed to the brim with camping gear, etc and 2 adult passengers. Was only able to charge once on the road(at campsite). Drove in hold mode with windows closed and AC on ECO. Speed was between 65-75.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.