Some Unique Features of the Volt
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Some Unique Features of the Volt

Default Some Unique Features of the Volt

Here are some of the features I dug out

1.Window switches on the arm rest are piano key like shape– push to lower – pull up the front edge to raise the window
    2. Heated seats are both Auto or Manual control
    3. There is an Audio mute button on steering wheel
    4. Can use USB memory stick to transport music, audio or video to the Volt
    5. Roller thumb wheel switch on steering wheel to select Radio, CD or DVD
    6. Spring back to center roller thumbwheel switch on the steering wheel for Cruise control increase/decrease speed settings
    7. Traction Control cannot be turned OFF.
    8. Stability Control cannot be turned OFF
    9.The fold out key in the remote keyless entry device can be used to start the vehicle if the battery in the remote is dead; by placing the blade in the slot in the dashboard storage compartment.
    10. The ICE can be forced to run by opening the hood.
    11. The Electric Parking brake will automatically release if the vehicle is put in drive and start to move.
    Last edited by Xzlon; 10-28-2010 at 02:07 AM.

Didn't know about #9, that is good to know. Some reviews were saying you would be stuck if the battery died, I didn't think gm would be that stupid.

Indeed, good to hear about #9, I saw those reviews too -- and now know that if I see it again, to put that reviewer in my "lazy writer" column.

#1 is fine with me, as that's how my current car (and Audi) works, although it's a little weird for people who are used to rocker controls.

As I've said before, I'll just have to live with #11. I will definitely miss a real handbrake.
    2011 Volt #284, ordered 30-Jul-2010, built 30-Nov-2010, shipped 15-Dec-2010, delivery 22-Dec-2010, lease return 22-Dec-2013, Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - do yourself a favor and register at Hidden Content immediately so you can track your Volt's performance

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ssj4vegita2002 View Post
    Didn't know about #9, that is good to know. Some reviews were saying you would be stuck if the battery died, I didn't think gm would be that stupid.
    Actually #9 is sort of interesting, as all placing the FOB in that position does technically is put it in very "close-coupled" proximity to the receiver/transmitter assembly for the passive remote start system.
    Normally when you press the START button a "challenge" is issued by remote electronics and IF a learned FOB is detected within the car, (once challenged the FOB sends it's ID via a radio frequency) the vehicle is permitted to "start" . Sure, a little different on the Volt of course as it just allows the vehicle to fully power ON and permits electric drive functionality, but other GM cars have a similar passive push button start.

However when the battery in the FOB gets weak, it might not have sufficient power to send it's "learned ID" across the RF in a strong enough signal to be detected. SO when the driver attempts to start a "FOB NOT DETECTED" message will appear in the drivr info center. Assuming the FOB was in fact present, the most likely cause of this is a weak battery. So the owner's manual will direct the operator to place the FOB in the glovebox position as indicated, which places it so close to the receiver/transmistter that the vehicle should start.so it really has nothing to do with the key itself, but more of proximity to the electronics.

HTH
    WopOnTour
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 10-30-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Hmmm. That's actually disappointing if it is as you just described. It would require some juice in the fob battery, so a completely dead/failed fob would kill the car. Perhaps there's a passive RFID chip/antenna embedded in the fob, in addition to the active electronics, that can be read at close range?

A learned FOB even without a battery would still permit starting because the proximity of the specified placement creates enough inductive energy from the module antenna to power the FOB's transponder permitting it to send it's code.

The FOB has it's own receiver/transmitter for low range (passive) operation.
    So it is used when in proximity to automatically unlock the door/s when you pull a handle, or as I said permit starting once you enter the car.
    The FOB also has a long range transmitter but the only time it's used is when you issue commands through the FOB buttons (door lock/unlock or remote start/precondition for instance)

Worried about a lost FOB perhaps?
    In the event a FOB is "lost" the owners manual recommends it be replaced immediately and in the process of relearning the new FOB (done by the dealer) the old FOB's code is rendered inoperative and useless.
    WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 10-30-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: I re-read yourresponse ChrisC

#11 The Electric Parking brake will automatically release if the vehicle is put in drive and start to move.
    ...I can't immediately think of any highly likely circumstance where that would bite someone in the butt, but the chances of it being an issue for someone some day with kids are probably not too slim seeings how there isn't a key that needs to be turned.

Quote Originally Posted by omnimoeish View Post
    ...I can't immediately think of any highly likely circumstance where that would bite someone in the butt, but the chances of it being an issue for someone some day with kids are probably not too slim seeings how there isn't a key that needs to be turned.
    Keep in mind when parking the application of the park brake is typically mechanical cables at the calipers being driven by an electric motor.
    Once in motion (after PB either manually or automatically released) you CAN still re-apply the park brake in an emergency situation, however in this case the default behavior is the application of ever increasing pressure for the duration the button is lifted. however technically this is HYDRAULIC pressure delivered to th calipers from the electro-hydraulic control unit (similar to regular braking).
    But as an additional safety measure, in the event of a detected system pressure fault/failure , attempting to operate the park brake while moving will revert to the cable operated park brake apply.
    WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 10-30-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks WOT for the confirmation that the fob has the passive/RFID mechanism, that's reassuring.

12. Advertisement

Here's a unique feature, learned from Phil Colley tweet on their cross-country trip to the LA auto show:

"Fun fact: using cruise control w/ low setting on Volt, ur exact speed is maintained up- or downhill; not so on most cars"

... meaning that because it has engine braking (i.e. regen braking), the cruise control system effectively uses accelerator on downhills to keep the car from running ahead.

http://twitter.com/ChevyVolt/status/2805568469213185
    2011 Volt #284, ordered 30-Jul-2010, built 30-Nov-2010, shipped 15-Dec-2010, delivery 22-Dec-2010, lease return 22-Dec-2013, Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - do yourself a favor and register at Hidden Content immediately so you can track your Volt's performance

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text