GM Volt Forum banner

ELR Suspension Refinements

24K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  ronmaf 
#1 ·
ELR driving confidence is enhanced by advanced suspension and damping systems, including Continuous Damping Control – which adjusts damping every two milliseconds – to maintain optimal vehicle ride control over varying road surfaces and profiles. The ELR rolls on 20-inch wheels with specially engineered low-rolling-resistance tires designed to balance excellent control and cornering capability with efficiency.

A solid, stable foundation underpins the ELR, featuring a body-frame-integral structure with main underbody rails running continuously from front to rear. Advanced, high-strength steels add strength and conserve weight. Additional contributors to the ELR’s driving experience include:

◾Wide front and rear tracks – 62.1 inches (1,578 mm) in front and 62.4 inches (1,585 mm) in the rear – along with a long wheelbase (106.1 inches / 2,695 mm) and a low center of gravity

◾HiPer Strut front suspension featuring lightweight forged aluminum components for reduced weight and more nimble, responsive action

◾Dual-pinion, rack-mounted electric power steering system with premium ZF steering gear designed to provide excellent feedback while helping to save fuel

◾A semi-independent rear compound-crank suspension with Watts link that incorporates weight-optimized trailing arms to absorb lateral forces, allowing the suspension to be tuned to handle vertical, forward and rearward motions

◾Hydraulic ride bushings in the front and rear suspensions

◾An electro-hydraulic regenerative brake system that captures energy and sends it to the battery pack

◾Standard chassis control systems include anti-lock brakes, traction control and StabiliTrak electronic stability control.

WOT

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
ELR driving confidence is enhanced by advanced suspension and damping systems, including Continuous Damping Control – which adjusts damping every two milliseconds – to maintain optimal vehicle ride control over varying road surfaces and profiles. The ELR rolls on 20-inch wheels with specially engineered low-rolling-resistance tires designed to balance excellent control and cornering capability with efficiency.

A solid, stable foundation underpins the ELR, featuring a body-frame-integral structure with main underbody rails running continuously from front to rear. Advanced, high-strength steels add strength and conserve weight. Additional contributors to the ELR’s driving experience include:

◾Wide front and rear tracks – 62.1 inches (1,578 mm) in front and 62.4 inches (1,585 mm) in the rear – along with a long wheelbase (106.1 inches / 2,695 mm) and a low center of gravity

◾HiPer Strut front suspension featuring lightweight forged aluminum components for reduced weight and more nimble, responsive action

◾Dual-pinion, rack-mounted electric power steering system with premium ZF steering gear designed to provide excellent feedback while helping to save fuel

◾A semi-independent rear compound-crank suspension with Watts link that incorporates weight-optimized trailing arms to absorb lateral forces, allowing the suspension to be tuned to handle vertical, forward and rearward motions

◾Hydraulic ride bushings in the front and rear suspensions

◾An electro-hydraulic regenerative brake system that captures energy and sends it to the battery pack

◾Standard chassis control systems include anti-lock brakes, traction control and StabiliTrak electronic stability control.

Here's a link for more info on the ELR
http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/cadillac/vehicles/elr/2014.html

WOT

#6 ·
Superior suspension components (vis a vis the Volt) are doubtless required to counteract those beautiful, but brick-like, 20 inch wheels. And the "long wheelbase" is barely longer than the Volt's (106.1 vs. 105.7). Some creative marketing at work in this press release, but I guess that is to be expected.

#8 · (Edited)
This seems 50% hype and 50% real to me. Compare the suspension with the Volt:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2011-chevrolet-volt-suspension-walkaround.html

The front doesn't look much different: same components and same subframe. They put in higher-end shocks with electronic damping control and (possibly) a slightly upgraded power steering. On the back, its the same twist-beam, but with a Watt's link added. That comes over from the higher-end Opel Astra model.

The huge 20 inch rims are worse in every aspect except the looks department, so it remains to be seem whether the overall experience is much better.

#9 · (Edited)
Well perhaps to some people a strut is a strut, and a steering rack, just a rack.
But the reality is ALL of these major steering and suspension components are significantly upgraded to performance grade systems.
The 20 inch wheels support a wider tire with a performance rated aspect ratio- definitely an improvement in the handling department (not just looks) and Cadillac's electronic Real Time Damping (RTD) system is something not offered on anything other than a Cadi

When you drive it- you shall see!

WOT

#10 ·
I believe the sum of all those individual improvements will be stunning, if my 2011 CTS-V's handling is any indication of the ELR's performance.

Some folks claim the base Corvette is almost as good as the ZR1. I beg to differ.

#14 ·
I believe the sum of all those individual improvements will be stunning, if my 2011 CTS-V's handling is any indication of the ELR's performance.
Yes, many incremental changes can add up to a very different end result. As you say, it's the sum of the changes.

#11 ·
Hydraulic regen? Does this mean that pothole bounce adds to the battery pack now? Teeheee

But seriously, that is a typo or marketing fluff. Right? Where would liquids go in the regen system?

#12 · (Edited)
It doesn't say hydraulic regen, it's electro-hydraulic, and there is a distinction ;)
But essentially "brake by wire" EHCU braking systems as used in hybrids and EVs are all very similar (in this case the EHCU aspects are really near identical to the Volt)
The only thing really special about the ELR in this regard is the regen-on-demand system via the steering wheel paddles...
WOT

#18 ·
Thanks for the update video!

So lets see, as of now it will be available in black metallic, light black metallic, lighter black metallic and red. Lots of choice there. No blues, no greens, no whites.

A few years ago I somewhat seriously considered a used Ferrari 348. Because, after seeing all the me too red black and occasional yellow ones, I saw a metallic emerald green one that I thought was just awesome.

#20 ·
My question is how does GM expect to sell this car full of technological wonders at a supposed $70k+ when it is having issues meeting sales figures on the $45k Volt.
Many of these suspension components should have been offered in the Volt as an SS. Also the Acceleration needs to be increased for the Caddi for the $$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.