Charger Installation
Grab our Forum Feed

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 7 LastLast

Thread: Charger Installation

Well I have everything covered then.... I put in a 6-3 wire this is about 100 ft back to the panel, just before we sheet rocked so that I am prepared for anything and I also happen to be a career firemen, so if I burn it down, I'll be ready too.

Ha ha! Hilarious!! But I think with a dedicated circuit of #6 wire at 100', you should be in pretty good shape.

Default Wire sizing table

This is the table I use for wire sizing. As posted, it depends on the distance. The table is for a 2% voltage drop. Looks like 43k could have gotten by w/ #10 wire for a 20 amp circuit with a 100' run. #12 at 20 amps is only good for 70'.. With #6 wire at 100' he's good for 50 amps. ---it never hurts to build in some growth capability.

Last edited by George S. Bower; 10-20-2010 at 04:24 PM.
    2012 Silver Ice Volt w/ leather and polished aluminum wheels
    lease over in May 2015
    new vehicle TBD

2012 Gray Model S

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Thanks George! I think that "Wiring Simplified" is the same book I have at home, but I had a heck of a time finding a chart like this online (quite surprisingly, I might add). I finally gave up and posted my general comment without a reference.

I agree, I lost this table for a while and could not easily find one online. As you can see, I've used it alot.
    2012 Silver Ice Volt w/ leather and polished aluminum wheels
    lease over in May 2015
    new vehicle TBD

2012 Gray Model S

My charger was installed today. Looks lonely without a Volt next to it!
    Attached Images
    Robert Becker
    Chevy Volt Customer Advisory Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by greencar View Post
    My charger was installed today. Looks lonely without a Volt next to it!
    Congratulations to you too Robert. Yours also wound up under a rack I see. How long did it take them?

Very Good. Thanks for the chart. Since I've got the wire covered, any opinions on which 240V charging system? The SPX seems like Chevy's pick, but what about Coulomb and the others? I'd rather spend a little more money and have a high quality product with a quicker charging ability... If thats possible. And not to say the SPX isn't great, I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by the43k View Post
    I'd rather spend a little more money and have a high quality product with a quicker charging ability... If thats possible. And not to say the SPX isn't great, I just don't know.
    I don't know about quality, but it's unlikly you'll find a charger that can charge a Volt any quicker. The Volt's limited to 3.3kW charging, which the SPX will do (as any other unit will as well). If you want to invest in the home improvement of a faster charger for a future EV (like a next year Leaf, or maybe another member of the Voltec family with a higher charge rate), then you'll want a charger with 30A or 40A capability.

12. Advertisement

Ok, So I understand this correctly. No matter why charger I buy or how many Kilowatts it can send down the line. The chevy volt, as of this moment, can't handle and more power then 3.3KW. Therefore, my charging time is limited to whatever time 3.3KW can charge???? So I guess regardless of my wire or charger, if I want a faster charge time, I either need a different vehicle or the next version of the Volt. YES???

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 7 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text