Volt Diagnostic Tool
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 5 11 LastLast

Thread: Volt Diagnostic Tool

Quote Originally Posted by WopOnTour View Post

If you're trying to determine what information would be available when using MDI/GDS on the Volt, I could probably take some screenshots and post them.

WopOnTour

Hi WOT,

Would you still be willing to post screenshots so I can know what is available when using MDI/GDS on the Volt? In particular, I'm interested in general battery information (temp, SOC, voltage, power limits, etc.), E-motor info (e.g. speeds) and also the status of the three clutches so I can know what mode the system is operating in.

Thanks for the help,
    Volt_Fan

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1340[/ATTACH

gds2 drive motor
    Attached Images

battery temp data.jpg

battery temp

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Thanks alot for posting the screenshots. Could you also post a screenshot of "Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2"? I want to see what type of info this module contains. Lastly, do you know if the MDI/GDS2 tool allows you to record the data while driving so you can review after the drive?

if you are look at data it is record the data you can add bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Volt_Fan View Post
    Thanks alot for posting the screenshots. Could you also post a screenshot of "Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2"? I want to see what type of info this module contains. Lastly, do you know if the MDI/GDS2 tool allows you to record the data while driving so you can review after the drive?
    Volt_Fan
    I hope you can appreciate the initial reluctance to immediately respond when we have someone join the gm-volt.com forums and immediately commence requesting advanced levels of technical information, currently available only to corporation and dealership personnel. (such as user "Gm world class tech" has posted)
    As far as your requests for actual screenshots of the data available, I think it's safe to say virtually ANY data you or anyone would want IS available via the MDI/GDS equipment. In fact, the data-sets are so extensive, it would require me to span 3 or 4 thread postings in order to list them all!

It's certainly not that we/I suspect what you are asking is for some form of industrial espionage or anything, it's just that it circumvents a Volt data collection research program that we have been developing here on gm-volt.com for many months. (if not longer)

Certainly some people wish to understand the various Voltec systems and control strategies to a higher level than your average Volt owner.However the neccessary equipment is somewhat proprietary, quite techncially involved, and expensive. So a plan has been formulating for some time now, in which we might be able to share an MDI unit as well as a GDS subscription (and related costs) such that would permit and support our own gm-volt.com "mini" research programs in order FOR EVERYBODY to be able learn as much about the Volt as possible.

The current plan might even include the initiation a private members forums here on gm-volt.com where some of the details might be hashed out by those that become involved. So this would probably include some fast-track training on the software, the available data-sets from the 33 available modules, then discussing and prioritizing various research proposals. Eventually then we would create a schedule for the MDI (that we already have) to be shipped to various members, in order for them to complete their data collection projects, and report back to the group so we can collectively interpret, document, and eventually publish the results.

What was holding us back somewhat was the in availability of the GDS2 software as up until 3 weeks ago it was not available for lease-purchase outside of GM dealers. That changed and it currently appears GDS2 subcriptions for aftermarket non-GM clients are now available. However what I am attempting to determine at this time is receiving confirmation that un-fettered access to the Volt's systems remain available in the AFTERMARKET version of GDS2 before we went ahead and paid for a subscription only to discover that it won't do what was expected. With aftermarket automotive software like this it isn't uncommon for it to operate differently than at the dealership level.

So we still need a bit of time to formulate everything at numerous levels but I am quite confident that it WILL happen. An immediate step will be to commence to gage interest by collecting names of forum members that wish to participate. I already have a small list compiled that FOR NOW I plan to keep private. So if you or anyone would like to be added to "the list" all I would ask for now is that you submit to me a request via a PM.

Keep in mind there WILL be some costs involved but with enough interest we could probably keep that down to something less than $100 per person. As well keeping in mind that once we ask Helena for a private forums, we will be asking for for full personal disclosure (names, addresses, etc) in order to maintain a secure structure for both the equipment, subscriptions, and the responsible use of the data collected.

So I repeat, if any members here feel they want to participate in such a program, that they merely PM me expressing this interest and I will attempt to keep these people informed of our progress until such time that we can actually get this going.

WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 03-11-2011 at 02:55 PM.

It is surprising to me that they didn't provide a third screen display of information useful to an EV operator. The answer "Most drivers wouldn't know what it means" is a non starter. They put an oil pressure gauge on the ICEs. It would be lots easier to program a display of battery amps and voltage than that silly floating ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Whalen View Post
    WopOnTour wrote:

That pricing, while expensive, is worth it to me to be able to access the very basic, fundamental battery data I want to be able to see [... that all other EVs provide (for free) to the driver, as a matter of standard practice, and any seasoned, experienced EV driver just expects to be able to see this most basic, fundamental battery info of pack voltage, amperage, and temps, and would feel that he is driving blind without that info (which would be like a conventional gasoline car not having either a tachometer or an odometer)]. Charles Whalen

Has anyone tried to use ElmScan 5 tool (http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/p...5-compact.html) with the Volt?
    Driving an Ampera since 8th December, 2011.
    Hidden Content : Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Herto View Post
    Has anyone tried to use ElmScan 5 tool with the Volt?
    I took a quick look at the software description that comes with it. While it picks up many of the common messages I don't think it'll pick up the new messages that describe much of the Volt's operation. Since it looks like they allow you to connect directly to the scanning hardware I think you could monitor the actual bus traffic. But knowing which codes to ask for and how to pick out the bits you're interested in might be fairly difficult.

My wife wants me to go with her on another 1ker to #2 town this Thursday-Sunday. I convinced her today that I'll take the time off work to do it IFF we get a DashDAQ with the Volt upgrade. Yeah, if it's available for instant ship we'll still have to ship it overnight. Oh well.

My current idea on top priority monitoring (in alphabetical order) is
    1. Battery Power (Calculated by <High Voltage Battery Current> * <High Voltage Battery Voltage>) [slider/digital]
    2. Engine Speed (RPM) [dial*]
    3. Fuel Level (%) (probably will calculate ((<Fuel Level %> * (-.093)) + 9.3) for gallons to fill-up) [slider/digital]
    4. High Voltage Battery State of Charge (VICM) (don't know what VICM is, but there's a couple other choices) [slider(/digital?)]
    5. Instantaneous MPG (Calculated as 720*<SPEED>/<MAF>, give or take) [digital]
    6. Instantaneous MPkWh (Calculated as <SPEED>/<BATTERY POWER>, give or take) [digital]
    7. Motor A Speed (RPM) [dial]
    8. Motor B Speed (RPM) [dial]

*I'm pretty sure Motor A Speed == Engine Speed when the ICE is running, so they're likely to collapse into a single dial with an indicator light when Engine Speed > 0.

So that'll be 2 (or 3) dials, 2 digital only, and 3 sliders (2 with digital as well). I don't think that'll be too cluttered. But it's dependent on the DashDAQ being able to have multiple calculators. Especially for the MP(G/kWh) displays. I know it'll do one, I'm not sure it'll do two at the same time. And I'm mis-using it to do MPkWh as it is. I may see if I can mis-use it to calculate kWh/100 miles instead.

Candidates for the B page (and on) are Axle Torque, Engine Actual Torque, HVB Estimated Capacity, Hybrid Battery State of Charge (HCP) [ed: what's this?], Motor A Torque, Motor B Torque, Regen Braking Axle Torque, Transmission Output Speed, Transmission C1 Clutch Slip, Transmission C2 Clutch Slip, Transmission C3 Clutch Slip, Vehicle Speed, HVB State of Charge Gauge Position [ed: what's this?], System Power Mode [ed: what's this?], Transmission Ratio, Engine Coolant Temperature, HVB Current, and HVB Voltage.

Of these the only one that's a standard OBD message is the fuel level. All the other ones are Volt specific codes. All told the DashDAQ has some 1300 or so codes it knows about with the standard and Volt drivers, although many of them aren't germane to the Volt (such as turbo and wastegate info).

I know we could probably get even more great and cool info with the GM MDI w/GDS stuff. But I think this'll give me something to chomp for a bit, and it has a nifty in-car display :- )

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Yeah, if it's available for instant ship we'll still have to ship it overnight. Oh well.
    And yes, it was available with overnight shipping. Shipping's 2/3rds was much as the Volt option! Such is the price I pay for dawdling. Then again, I don't think my wife would have sprung for it without saying I wouldn't take the drive without it... I'll have to move the Helms manual to my Christmas list (I'm getting the DD as a very late birthday gift, since the manual wasn't available back then).

It should be here tomorrow, and then the mad programming race starts so that I can have it somewhat ready for Thursday's departure. My guess is I'll be reprogramming it every night while I'm on travel. Good thing I'm just the chauffeur for this trip :- )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 5 11 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text