Volt Diagnostic Tool
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 10 LastLast

Thread: Volt Diagnostic Tool

Default Volt Diagnostic Tool

I am reposting the response that WOT gave re: diagnostic tool. I am sure some of you guys that get a Volt will want to dive more deeply into the data that is stored on the Volt's computer.

Here is WOT's response:

George
    This will not be easily accomplished with a mere scan-gage or CAN appliance without detailed information on the GM Parameter ID structure. Most of the "generic" devices out there (including scan-gages) will monitor and display only basic OBDII and engine related items, many of which are SAE mandated. However after that things get a bit more proprietary with respect to GM's own "interpretation and implementation" of CAN known as GMLAN.
    The EREV specific PIDs you are looking for are very likely spread out amongst the 28 networked modules the Volt employs to comprise it's GMLAN network/s.

The only tool solution guaranteed to delve into it all is the genuine article, the Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) produced by Bosch for GM.
    http://www.boschdiagnostics.com/TEST...PAGES/MDI.ASPX

The MDI combined with access/license subscription to GM's Global Diagnostic System software, (a GM version of Bosch ETAS) would IMO be the only reliable method of getting this data.
    HTH
    WopOnTour
    2012 Silver Ice Volt w/ leather and polished aluminum wheels

Quote Originally Posted by George S. Bower View Post

WOT said:
    The only tool solution guaranteed to delve into it all is the genuine article, the Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) produced by Bosch for GM.
    http://www.boschdiagnostics.com/TEST...PAGES/MDI.ASPX

The MDI combined with access/license subscription to GM's Global Diagnostic System software, (a GM version of Bosch ETAS) would IMO be the only reliable method of getting this data.
    HTH
    WopOnTour
    Thanks,
    How would one get access/license subscription to GM's Global Diagnostic System software, (a GM version of Bosch ETAS)??

What kind of a readout/ display would be best for viewing the data live while driving??

Any idea how much the Bosch MDI is??(it was not on the link)
    Last edited by George S. Bower; 10-12-2010 at 03:13 PM.

OK, I missed it the first time but it looks like you get a subscription from the ACDelco Tech Connect website. Hmm, I wonder how much that is??

Advertisement

It wont be cheap, my guess $1500 and I am known for being optimistic.

Would it be possible to have a program running on the onboard UI computer and display information on the center console display? I'd even be willing to pay GM some more money for more info.

I haven't seen anyone say there's already an instantaneous watt/gas consumption gauge, and that just seems *completely* broken! Higher end cars have had those for years, so if it's missing it's a step back there...

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Would it be possible to have a program running on the onboard UI computer and display information on the center console display? I'd even be willing to pay GM some more money for more info.

I haven't seen anyone say there's already an instantaneous watt/gas consumption gauge, and that just seems *completely* broken! Higher end cars have had those for years, so if it's missing it's a step back there...
    Rusty
    I havnt seen a car with a "built-in" diagnostic display since Cadillac dropped it back in the mid 90's.
    Cadillac had done this since the early 80's but GM dropped it in order to keep their diagnostic processes "common" throughout their vehicle lines.
    The new system is a combination of the MDI unit shown HERE and an aftermarket subscription to GM-TIS (yes George available at AC Delco Tech-Connect) which should permit you to download and install the Global Diagnostic System software to use the MDI on the Volt. (or other Global-A based GM cars and trucks 2010 and newer) The software has a weekly lease, so in order for it to function you will need to log into TIS at least weekly (ie subscription required).

The Volt has 27 primary electronic control modules all networked on the GM-LAN (CAN) networks which include:

-Auxillary (14V) Power Module
    -Battery Charger Control Module
    -Battery Energy Control Module
    -Coolant Heater Control Module
    -Drive Motor 1 Control Module
    -Drive Motor 2 Control Module
    -Electric A/C Compressor Control Module
    -Engine Control Module
    -Fuel Pump Control Module
    -Hybrid Powertrain Control Module A
    -Hybrid Powertrain Control Module B
    -Transmission Control Module
    -Park Brake Control Module
    -Multi-Axis Acceleration Sensor Module
    -Electronic Brake Control Module
    -Variable Power Steering Control Module
    -Steering Wheel Angle Sensor Module
    -Body Control Module
    -Instrument Panel Cluster
    -Inflatable Restraints Sensing Diagnostic Module
    -Passenger Presence System Module
    -Radio Control Module
    -Telematics Communication Interface Module
    -Remote Heater and Air Conditioning Control Module
    -Front Seat Heating Control Module
    -Keyless Entry Control Module
    -Parking Assist Control Module

Additionally there a few additional "master-slave" modules operating on Local Interconnect Networks (LIN) dedicated to some primary functions (such as power windows)

MDI/GDS is able to communicate and display data from each of these devices (as well as control various over-rides, manage feature customizations, and perform firmware/software updates) As I mentioned previously there probably won't be an aftermarket scan tool or scan gage device able to display EVERYTHING. However, some might display of the basic PIDs from the ECM as well as possibly DTCs reading and clearing.

WopOnTour
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 04-18-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Default Where can I find the GDS User’s Guide?

WopOnTour,

I perused the MDI User’s Guide (http://service.gm.com/userguides/english/mdi-en.pdf) and the TIS User’s Guide (http://service.gm.com/userguides/eng...;s%20Guide.htm).

GDS is one of several software applications accessible through TIS. (See the attached TIS homepage screen image that I’ve uploaded with this post.)

The TIS User’s Guide says very little about GDS, doesn’t give any examples or explanations of it. All it says is that the GDS component of TIS “provides access to the Global Diagnostic System which utilizes the MDI Scan Tool (J2534 Interface Tool)”, and then ... “for complete information concerning GDS, refer to the GDS User’s Guide.”

I ran advanced google searches using various search terms, such as “GDS User’s Guide” and then just simply “GDS”, on the following website domains:

www.acdelcotechconnect.com
    http://service.gm.com
    www.boschdiagnostics.com

... but came up empty.

Do you know where I can find the GDS User’s Guide?

Thanks,

Charles Whalen

Let me try that attachment upload again, as it didn't come through on my last post.

OK, well, unfortunately the file attachment upload function of this forum isn't working for me today. Never had a problem with it in the past, but can't seem to get it to work today. So I give up on that.

Advertisement

Charles
    To the best of my knowledge there has been no published Users Guide for GDS
    There is a "Help" file once the software is installed but that is about it AFAIK.
    You might be able to find some documentation on BOSCH ETAS in which GDS is based
    At this point I'm still trying to determine if the "aftermarket" version of TIS (as made available through AC Delco Techconnect) will even permit non-GM accounts to even install GDS from TIS.

Currently GDS only functions as a scan tool for certain 2010-11 vehicles including the Volt.(it also acts as a J2534 programming device for 2008 and newer GM vehicles) However recently it's been announced that GDS2 is about to rollout (presumably sometime in Q4) so if you are truely interested you may wish to wait before pulling the triggger on an MDI package.

If you're trying to determine what information would be available when using MDI/GDS on the Volt, I could probably take some screenshots and post them.

WopOnTour

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 10 LastLast