Tracking Your Volt Order
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 305 FirstFirst 1 2 42 52 62 102 152 305 LastLast

Thread: Tracking Your Volt Order

I'm going to write a post here that collects what we know about allocations and markets and orders advancing past 1100. I'm putting together a FAQ for this forum and I want to point to this post when someone says "why am I still at 1100?" Thus ...

A Dissertation On Why Your Order Hasn't Moved Off 1100 Yet

First, it depends on what market you are in. The 2011 Volt production run is being limited to dealers in CA, MI, DC, TX and NY/NJ/CT markets. Further, there is a "first wave", where for the first couple months the cars are only going to CA, DC area, Austin TX region, and the New York City metro area. Then there is a "second wave" that fills out the rest of those launch markets, so that would mean the rest of NJ, the rest of CT, the rest of Texas (all of it?) and finally (groan) Michigan. Those second wave cars start delivering in March. (delivery, right? not production start?)

In NJ and CT, there seem to be a dividing lines, where parts of each state are considered close enough to NYC to be first wave, and the rest are second wave. The dividing line for NJ is reported to be between Somerville and Morristown. The dividing line for CT appears to be between Fairfield and Waterbury.

Second, you need to know where your order is in your dealer's sequence. So, that means you need to know:
    1. How many allocations your dealer has for the Nov-Jun 2011 production run (e.g. 6 Volts)
    2. What position in line you are (#1, #2, etc.)
    From that you can roughly determine when in the production cycle your car is going to get a production allocation. However, dealers aren't strictly required to slot their allocations in the order they received them. When GM has an allocation slot available for a dealer, they ask the dealer "which of your orders would you like to take that slot?" A reputable dealer will request allocations based on what position their customers are in line, but are not legally bound to. In other words, if the dealer's mother-in-law decides she wants a car *NOW* and manages to get a slot, she might move up :-) (thanks Rusty)

With that info above you can estimate your production timeframe. The market will determine when deliveries will start, and your position in line will determine when within that start-to-end window you will get your car. All of your dealer's allocation won't show up at one time -- they will be spread out over the 2011 production run that ends in June. If your car is at the very end of the line (produced in June) then you'll likely have it in hand in July.

Finally, ignore the 2030 status code. See the "track your order" link in the FAQ I've linked below for info about how 2030 is "special", and more info about status code in general, including what 2000 means, 3400, 3800, et cetera.
    Last edited by ChrisC; 02-23-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    2011 Volt #284, ordered 30-Jul-2010, built 30-Nov-2010, shipped 15-Dec-2010, delivery 22-Dec-2010, lease return 22-Dec-2013, Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - do yourself a favor and register at Hidden Content immediately so you can track your Volt's performance

I drove down to Torrance to attend the second Southern California Volt meetup on Saturday organized by some CAB members at the GM Powertrain Advanced Technology Center. Very cool in-depth tour of the 150-person center that specializes in designing and testing electric motors and their controls, inverters, chargers and fuel cell related stuff. Lots of historical interest like old prototype in-wheel electric motors and a collection of old EV-1 prototype and product charging stations. They also ran through the same power point presentation that they gave the automotive media back in September. CAB members Colin, Chelsea, Mark, Kris (I think), Bill Nye, and 30-50 other folks were there. Unfortunately, no photos were allowed during the tour inside the building.

Anyway, one piece of information I picked up on was that some or perhaps all of our Volts were built before the final "1.0" software was ready. Perhaps the final thing that needs to be done for the cars already built (status code 3800) is to update their software before they can be shipped. That software is now done or perhaps undergoing very final validation. I got the impression that there should still be time for the "1.0" software to be installed and the cars shipped so that many of them will arrive by the end of the month (or at least be invoiced to the dealers so they can wrap up customer sales for tax reasons).

Chris,
    There may be exceptions to your post above. The Dealer told me that I was fourth in line out of 4 orders he had processed for his 4allocations. He said he did not know why My order jumped ahead of his other three. Maybe he just did not understand the system and made some responses to GM that affected my order. What do they say? Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

10/25/2010 - (1100) Order Placed at Dealership Order passed GM edit tables but dealers has not received allocation to place order
    10/25/2010 - (1102) Order Entered via Web
    11/02/2010 - (2000) Order Accepted by GM Dealer used allocation to place order into production
    11/02/2010 - (2500) Order Preferenced Order pulled to the production system
    11/03/2010 - (3000) Order accepted by production control. Parts being ordered and production process is underway.
    11/23/2010 - (3100) Order available to sequence.
    11/23/2010 - (3300) Order Scheduled for Production Order is scheduled into the plant build cycle
    11/24/2010 - (3400) Order Broadcast (Internal Plant Paperwork Order Produced) Order is sent to various build & supplier areas to bring order together

Production week 12/13

Norm
    Last edited by Xzlon; 12-06-2010 at 01:08 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Xzlon, No actually Chris was exactly on target regarding allocation and the process for orders. Once per month the dealer recieves an allocation report that shows which week each car will be available to submit for production. Each dealer is wholly responsible for their orders up and until the point that they reach status code 2000. If a dealer has an allocation for week 1 then they pick and submit an order from Thursday thru Tuesday night on what is called an consensus report. On Tuesday night after submission GM will process the order request thru what is called a Pass One report. That is where the orders are checked to make sure #1) dealer had allocation #2) vehicle and options are not on constraint. If the order passes the Pass One report then it is Accepted by GM for produciton (status code 2000. Once again.....The order sequence and order of customers orders in line are wholly controlled by the dealer. Participating dealers for the Volt rollout were given special training and had to agree to some very specific terms and training to even be able to offer the Volt. And they were instructed not to oversell their allocations, which was a huge issue for the Camaro rollout. In other words, dealers out sold their allocations in hopes they would receive more cars which did not happen and many customers were left without a car until after the initial rollout period was over. This was mitigated hopefully within the Volt rollout by written agreement between GM and the participating dealer. Excellent write-up Chris and I am sure it will be of great value to the Volt customers whom are waiting for the second wave. Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N View Post

Anyway, one piece of information I picked up on was that some or perhaps all of our Volts were built before the final "1.0" software was ready. Perhaps the final thing that needs to be done for the cars already built (status code 3800) is to update their software before they can be shipped. That software is now done or perhaps undergoing very final validation. I got the impression that there should still be time for the "1.0" software to be installed and the cars shipped so that many of them will arrive by the end of the month (or at least be invoiced to the dealers so they can wrap up customer sales for tax reasons).
    This would certainly be an interesting reason why all those Volts are just sitting around waiting to be shipped. I for one am 100% behind the idea of having bug free software in a "fly-by-wire" car!

Just as a fyi..still no Volts past 3800 as of a minute ago. Now 240 in system.
    Regarding software...It is a distinct possibility however, software updates could also be performed by the dealer at the time of the PDI (Pre delivery inspection) just sayin! Heck I have had two updates on my Camaro since 5/09 and they are regular and routine. We had a fun name for all the guys that were in our QC hold like you all are. We came up with" Area 51" because we knew it existed but nobody knew what was going on there. We now have an allumni of Area 51 members and have become close friends with many that had the same experience. It was months later when we finally found out a few of the secrets as to why our cars were in lockdown and at that point it really did not matter nearly as much. In our case it was due to some missing parts that were not available as they went down the assembly line and had to be installed prior to delivery....Yet we were told we were in Quality Control. Bottom line in our case is that all of us received our cars in perfect condition with no issues. Just not as quickly as we all wanted them to come. Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyconnects View Post
    We had a fun name for all the guys that were in our QC hold like you all are. We came up with" Area 51" because we knew it existed but nobody knew what was going on there.
    Larry
    Jeepers! I knew that the Volt was going to be hi-tech...I didn't realize that it would also have "stealth" technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyconnects View Post
    Just as a fyi..still no Volts past 3800 as of a minute ago. Now 240 in system.
    That is amazing that of the 350 Volts + or - built that 240 are being tracked and I would bet 90% of those 240 folks are from right here.

Jerry

And they are all stuck in Area 51!

12. Advertisement

No they are still trying to figure out the lease details lmao.... Once they figure out how to change the $350 a month to $400 a month without getting everyone all up in arms then they will be released from area 51 lmao. j/p

+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 305 FirstFirst 1 2 42 52 62 102 152 305 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text