GM Volt Forum banner

Long distance purchasers

28K views 90 replies 36 participants last post by  ChrisC 
#1 ·
I'm in Atlanta and have signed on the dotted line with a dealer in northern Virginia, in the Washington DC market. That's 600 miles away. I'd like to hear from others who are doing this as well.

nasaman, are you around? You're in Florida (Space Coast I assume) and also buying from Washington DC, right? That'd be about 1000 miles and would have me beat.

Anyone else? West coast buyers getting theirs from LA dealers?

I really don't intend for this thread to be about WHY. We have our reasons for wanting to be early adopters on this, and believe me I thought hard about this.

But in thinking about this, I realized that this decision is definitely not for everyone, and I wanted to itemize here some key factors that pay in enabling me to take this leap.

1. I know what I'm getting into. I am an electrical engineer and I've been studying this field closely for 2.5 years now (during my spare time). I really do understand the nuts and bolts and what things could go wrong. GM certainly does not need to educate me on the technology.

2. I don't need Level 2 charging for now. Which mean I will NOT need to install a charger, which means I won't need an electrician that understands what I'm installing, a utility that understands what rate plan I'm asking for, or a city inspector that understands what he's looking at. I don't need any of those things because, initially at least, I will be doing only 110V / Level 1 charging. One key reason for GM's limited rollout is they have to train a whole ecosystem of third parties about this, and they want to go slow at first. Fine, but that's not an issue for me.

3. I can live without a car. In a worst case scenario, the car has some sort of catastrophic failure, and my local Chevy dealer can't fix it. They will have had basic Volt repair training, but let's be honest, mine will be the first they've ever seen, and they almost certainly will not be able to do serious repairs. So I could be looking at weeks if not months with no Volt because it's been hauled on a flatbed to some faraway place for repair. And in that case, I have a bike and nearby mass transit (sadly underfunded but functional) and can commute that way. I don't expect this to happen, but engineers trade in failure scenarios, and this is one I'm prepared for.

And really, the above is my argument for why buying long distance is not for everybody. I'm taking a pretty big risk for the first few months (or maybe a whole year!) until my market gets launched, and I'm OK with that.

So, who else is doing this and what other things have you thought about?

See less See more
#2 ·
My trip from the Kansas City area to Sterling Heights, MI sometime next March will be around 800 miles.

You have more or less covered the main factors I also have considered in this decision. If the Volt requires service, I've got several options available.

#6 · (Edited)
This is great, thanks guys!

I'm #1 in line at my dealer, so NYAH. :)

There's a "Ted in Fort Myers" (FL) commenting in the front page articles, who apparently has one on order, so I'm hoping to hear from him here too.

You have more or less covered the main factors I also have considered in this decision. If the Volt requires service, I've got several options available.
Tell me more? You mean you have several dealers, that you know are pursuing Volt certification? Or non-Chevy options? For this initial period, the problems I'm most concerned about are going to be the Volt-specific ones, e.g. electric motor / controller problems and the like, that can't be taken to just any shop. That and firmware updates, which are likely to be fast and furious during the first year.

#3 ·
Tulsa, OK to Austin TX. 450 miles.

I have had all the same considerations as you.
I have a degree in EE, but am a software developer now.
I will be keeping my current paid for car, and leasing the Volt.
I currently budget about $200/month for gas, so I will basically be spending an extra $150/month for the entertainment of driving an electric car. I spend more than that on other forms of entertainment, that aren't near as fun as driving this car will be.

#8 ·
In the comments on a front page article today, a "John M" commented that he's in Miami and buying from VA. 1136 miles -- looks like a new leader. I'll try to get him to post here. GM, you really need to prioritize UP the launch of a market somewhere in the Deep South.

#9 · (Edited)
I am getting my Volt from a dealer in Fairfax Va. I ordered it after contacting about six dealers in the DC area and he was the first to respond. They tell me that I am number 3 or 4 in order for their first "flight" (delivery) of six Volts. I have received my 6 digit code and also got my call from Chevrolet thanking me for ordering a Volt and that they will contact me again for order tracking and build progress. The dealer did require a deposit which I FedExed overnight. I really wanted that Volt!!!
I plan on being in northern VA in October and will visit the dealer and do any early paperwork.
My wife and I will fly back one way when my car arrives (hopefully in Nov or early Dec.) and the dealer says "PICK IT UP!!!"
I already have Yahoo directions back to South Miami with stopover at Hilton Head Is. though I probably will not need them with OnStar and the standard navigation package. Yahoo quotes the trip as 18 hours 18 mins, total distance 1136.84 miles.

#10 ·
I live in Florida and spent > a week talking to a dealer in Sterling, VA (Sterling Chevrolet) and hoped to buy a Volt from them. Unfortunately, because of the shutdown of Saturn, the bluebook on my 2008 VUE was so low I would have been so severely "under water" trading the VUE for it that it just didn't make sense, so I'll have to wait for Gen 2. :(

#11 ·
Thanks nasaman for the update!

#13 ·
Uh, yes, at length in the first post when I started this thread! :)

#14 · (Edited)
Interesting thread.
It should be interesting to hear about everyone's experiences dealing with these "long distance relationships"
Hopefully you'll be looked after and it all remains positive.

One thing that is promising is that the Volt technicial training for the service technicians will be available (and officially commencing 9/01/10) to all Chevy dealers with various "incentives" for even non-initial market dealers to maintain their minimum training standards for the Volt. (and this goes for the GM 2-mode hybrids as well) So there's a good chance that a local dealer to you could even deal with any service of the Volt that you may require.

You might even wish to put some feelers out in that regard in a another month or two. I would start with larger dealers in your area that are "2-mode" certified for sales and service.Just ask them, (general manager or service manager) if they intend to sell the Volt as the market expands and if their techncians have taken any or all of the required training courses.

One other thing though Cris. The Volt already has an onboard Level 2 charger. So the 240V accessory kit that will be sold by the Chevy dealers is not a charger. It merely provides a method to hard-wire the cable to the service- with a few "bells & whistles". (source pesent and ground fault indicators, cable hangers etc)
But this installation may not even require an electrician, depending on your local regs.I would think an EE would't have too much trouble. ;)

I'm not talking about the "free" unit they are offering. That comes with some "conditions" about sharing data as well as professional installation.

Good luck to all of you going out-of-state to get your Volt! You are a hearty breed of early adopters!!

WopOnTour

#15 ·
Interesting thread.
It should be interesting to hear about everyone's experiences dealing with these "long distance relationships"
Hopefully you'll be looked after and it all remains positive.

It is our intention to deliver a high-quality customer delivery and experience. To that end, we are working with our Chevrolet Participating Volt Dealers to train technical service personnel so that any Volt customer can get their car serviced when needed, without location roadblocks.

We have over 600 Chevrolet Participating Volt Dealers in our launch markets. Go to getmyVolt .com to find the Participating Volt Dealer closest to you.

Also, we will have a network of Volt Authorized Service Dealers providing 48 states, coast to coast coverage. Servicing dealer information will be available on Chevrolet.com in the near future.

Thanks,
Angie – Chevrolet Volt Advisor

#16 ·
In today's front page article, a dealer commented on a visit from their GM district manager, who "gave me a firm warning about taking orders for out-of-state customers. Apparently there are many unhappy dealers in non-launch area states who may nit be spending the $20,000 (est) for special tools, parts and training for a vehicle that they cannot sell for another 18 months. "

Just a little insight. I am aware of the risk and am sticking with my order :)

#17 · (Edited)
Yea, that DM was a little out-of-line
The Volt team has already established that out-of-state orders are NOT an issue.
As far as dealers' expense to be a Volt Authorized Servicing Dealer (ASD). It's merely the cost of staying in the fold.
You can pay the General now or you can pay him later...

WOT

#19 ·
18-24 months? I thought the national rollout was 12-18 months after November 2010.

It better be available widely in Florida by November 2011, or I'm just going to have to go elsewhere.

#20 ·
We will expand our distribution quickly. Volt will be sold in all 50 states, within 12 - 18 months of the start of initial sales. We plan to announce additional markets as we move into the 2012 model year.

Thanks!
Angie - Chevrolet Volt Advisor
socialmedia@gm.com

#22 ·
I ordered in Maryland

Ted, sorry about the pay cuts in Florida. I hope things go ok down there.
I ordered a Volt from Ourisman Chevrolet in Bowie, Maryland. It's 35 miles from my home north of Baltimore. Ironically there's a Chevy dealer one block from my home that won't be getting the Volt for at least another year. I'm happy with this for now.
In 1995 I tried to lease an EV-1 from a dealer in Phoenix. They wouldn't lease me one because I didn't live in their "Targeted area". (Phoenix / SoCal) bummer. I'm giving GM another try, hoping I'm not disappointed.
So far, so good!

#23 ·
Anticipation in Albuquerque

My local dealer (Galles Chevrolet) seems clueless about the car and every other aspect of the car. They did tell me that they thought New Mexico wouldn't get Volts until mid to late 2011. I'm not willing to wait. I'm a civil engineer, and while electricity is a mystery to me, I'm not afraid of something going wrong. I think GM has so much riding on this car they can't afford to produce a product that could be a poster boy for a good idea gone wrong. I'm taking a leap of faith.

I had ordered a Fusion Hybrid but I'm dropping that order in favor of this Volt because there's nothing like it. I may be the only resident in this state to have a Volt for 6 to 8 months. GM should pay me to let people drive it.

I'm working with Selman Chevrolet in Orange, California to be slot 16 on their initial allocation of 30. They are only charging MSRP and are asking for a $1,000 deposit to get on the list. I'm ready. No, I'm eager. This is the most interesting thing to come on the market in decades and I want to be in on the first wave!

#24 ·
Just a quick update to my 8/24 post. Visited my dealer in Va and signed a few preliminary papers last Tuesday (10/12/10) and drove my anticipated return route back to Miami. Just got a call from the sales manager this morning that I am now at 2030 stage and this is the last opportunity to change anything on my order (no changes). From here on it's in the hands of GM and the factory. Can't wait till it's at 5000, Delivered to the dealer.

#26 ·
Can anyone help me? I'm very eager to get a Volt in the first wave of deliveries. I realize I'm already a little behind given that it's October 20th and most waiting lists are already filled. I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico and I'm having trouble finding dealers in California and Texas (who are getting first allocations) to sell or lease me the vehicle. Selman Chevrolet will sell me one but say they can't lease me one due to California law. Any suggestions?

#27 ·
I just called a bunch of D.C. area dealers. One told me they have been told if they register a Volt to an out of state customer address their future Volt allocations will stop, so there's no reason for me to call other dealers. Then I found 5 dealers perfectly happy to sell to out of state. You get a real variety of responses. Don't believe them all.

#28 ·
I'm in Utah, and I've ordered from two dealers, one in Michigan, who took a $1,000 deposit but has failed to generate an order number. And one in Southern California, who as not required a deposit yet, but has given me an order number... (currently showing 2030) Hrmmm...

I'll cancel/transfer which ever one is going to take longer to get. I'm rooting for California, as it will be much cheaper to drive over and pick up. Though the California dealer seems to want to force me to pay California sales tax, rather than Utah tax, whereas the Michigan dealer sounds willing to let me pay Utah tax. Based on the different tax rates in Utah and California, that could amount to a significant cost difference.

Getting cloth, cyber gray, backup camera.

#29 ·
Though the California dealer seems to want to force me to pay California sales tax, rather than Utah tax
Do a search here ... There's a guy in New Mexico who's encountered the same problem. Apparently California requires that you pay the tax if you're taking delivery there, even if you are from out of state. There probably is a mechanism to get the tax refunded, but the paperwork probably takes a while.

#31 ·
Lansing, Michigan here, flying to Bayshore, New York to pick up and drive my new Volt 730 miles home. Hopeful delivery to the dealer will be the end of January/beginning of February.

I have a Volt on order here in Michigan but they are not slated for allocations until March. My current leased vehicle is being turned in next week, November 30. I am borrowing a vehicle for a couple of months til the Volt arrives.

Why is it anytime I tell friends I will be driving my Volt home from New York, they all ask how I will plug it in along the way??? GM needs to get the word out that you can drive this vehicle as far as any other car on the road, just by filling it up with gas!

#32 ·
Any chance you'll be driving through Syracuse NY on the way back? We could have a mini Volt meet up in Central NY :)

#34 ·
macuser,
I've been dealing with Galles since February. I actually have $500 down. Forget what they told you, my best information on Volts to New Mexico is 2012. (I heard 12 to 18 months from now.) I am dealing with a dealer in Amarillo for the first one in the second phase of the roll-out. (All of Texas follows just Austin.) Let me know if you want to discuss things further. I'm in Los Alamos.

#36 ·
Well, that would be the new distance record. We have John in Miami who's going 1150 miles to Virginia for his, and Ted in Fort Myers who's going 1350 miles to Michigan for his (not until spring though). Since you're not driving yours back I guess Ted still has bragging rights :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.