GM Volt Forum banner

Ford Fusion Energi vs Volt review...

9K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Sharkonwheels 
#1 ·
Surprisingly fair and balanced (are you listening, faux news?). Our neighbors up north are pretty even keel I guess. :)
Doesn't name a 'winner' like most comparison articles do. Pointed out the positives and negatives of each vehicle.

Basically, the reviewer states the Fusion Energi is more refined in interior and exterior design, more comfortable, less road noise, and of course seating for 5.

Volt wins on rear headroom, storage space (surprisingly), pricing, and most importantly, the electric drivetrain.

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/news/electric-avenue-ford-fusion-vs-133200237.html

#2 ·
No GM dealer here will sell the Volt. For me the Fusion is my ONLY option.Two Ford dealers have given me test drives with the Fusion Hybrid, including testing the "Park Assist" (it really works!), and I can buy the Fusion Hybrid right now. The Energi model arrives in August.

I am waiting to see if the Chevy Spark EV will be available here, because Ford sells the Focus Electric, too.

Come on, GM! Get your dealers here to enter the modern world!

#9 ·
My Escape Hybrid only indicated that a tire had low pressure - it didn't specify which one (which was a nuisance) and was always corrected with a quick trip to the dealer. It happened regularly when the winter wheels got switched over, even though both sets of rims/tires were Ford wheels and had Ford sensors. I never had a flat or actual low pressure situation - it was always an issue with the sensor system.
I don't care for the Fusion restyle. It looks Korean or Japanese in the rear and the grill is a blatant Aston Martin ripoff. The wheels look like the optional Volt wheels. I like a distinct look; which the Volt has.

#10 · (Edited)
The review author said "The two things that bugged me the most were the lack of an analog AUX input for my iOS podcast player and the lack of a tire pressure monitor. Both are present on the Chevy Volt, and in my book, that makes the Volt the winner in cabin tech."

Although PSI is not displayed, it has a low pressure indicator. It also has analog AUX in as well as iPod-compatible USB port with better-than-Volt integration. I suspect he may have reviewed a base car without the upgraded Sony / My Ford Touch system which, IMHO, is clearly better than the Volt's tech package.

Also, with respect to not showing PSI. I will note that in top-of-line BMWs, it only shows low pressure, not PSI in the AMERICAN version of car. Via software "coding" you can flip a bit and make it show PSI. I suspect it might be a liability issue and not use of inferior sensors. I'd be curious if any Fords show actual PSI.

In my view, the Volt's huge advantage is in the all-electric driving experience and all-electric range. Driving the Volt in L/Sport feels like Tesla's less athletic little brother. The Fusion Energi drives like a an old-school hybrid. That said, on the freeway, the Fusion in blended mode has noticeably more power than Volt in EV mode.

#15 · (Edited)
The review author said "The two things that bugged me the most were the lack of an analog AUX input for my iOS podcast player and the lack of a tire pressure monitor. Both are present on the Chevy Volt, and in my book, that makes the Volt the winner in cabin tech."

Although PSI is not displayed, it has a low pressure indicator. It also has analog AUX in as well as iPod-compatible USB port with better-than-Volt integration. I suspect he may have reviewed a base car without the upgraded Sony / My Ford Touch system which, IMHO, is clearly better than the Volt's tech package.
This is a joke, right?

Ford's infotainment is NOTORIOUS for being the worst on the planet, and pretty much universally hated across all auto blogs and journals! It has single-handedly impacted their JD Power scores, and numerous other ratings, all by itself!!

All ya gotta do is google myford touch and line the first 50 billion hits do nothing but berate it!

It is BECAUSE of Ford's infotainment issues, that GM setup a department, and reps, JUST to handle infotainment systems across the brands.

#11 ·
"Ford does hold the advantage on lights, windshield wipers, heat and A/C, as they all work better than on the Volt."

I've seen various criticisms of the Volt, but windshield wipers haven't been one of them. My wipers are just fine. How would the Ford improve on them?

#12 ·
My guess is the Ford has rain-sensing wipers to go with the auto-high beam head lights and dual zone climate control. The Volt's versions all work fine, the Ford versions are more automated, like a lot of fancy cars recently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.