Can the SPARK EV be taken outside of CA and OR? Seems so.
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can the SPARK EV be taken outside of CA and OR? Seems so.

Default Can the SPARK EV be taken outside of CA and OR? Seems so.

Can the SPARK EV be taken outside of CA and OR? Seems so based on Facebook/FB response from Shad. Certainly Chevrolet Volt techs could handle procedures related to the SPARK EV ... one would think.

FB via S.F.
    I don't think you can take them outside of CA and OR. Pretty sure I read that. Had to do with service/updates. Only production number limit I've seen is for the ELR.
    FB via T.M.
    Maybe Shad can shed some light on these questions. Production limits, out of state servicing, etc.
    FB via Shad Balch (who he is link: http://www.thefutureiselectric.com/our-team/shadbalch/ )

Good questions! I'll try to shed some light:

No production numbers! At least not specifics. We learned the hard way with Volt when we said "10K in 2011..." When that didn't happen the detractors had a blast calling it a failure - despite the fact that it's one of the most successful vehicle programs ever done. So, not about to do arrange that silver platter again ... it really doesn't help.

CA and OR are amazing markets to launch EVs ... there's a tremendous appetite by all stakeholders for them to succeed there. That said, if you purchase a Spark EV it's yours to take wherever you choose (unless you took a state incentive, which may require you to keep it in bounds for a certain amount of time or risk forfeiting the $$$!)

If we were in the biz of doing compliance cars you'd see a bunch of golf carts with bow ties scooting around town. Make no mistake, Spark EV will definitely check some boxes with CARB. But we absolutely believe that we'll win if GM is the one with the best and baddest cars that don't burn gas. I mean, you're getting 400 lb ft of torque, DC fast charge capability (80% in 20 mins with combo connector), an incredible battery thermal management system and infotainment that does more than you'll ever need ... California has indeed set a minimum but the competitive advantage is gained when we do more (Volt, ELR!)

Quote Originally Posted by scottf200 View Post
    Can the SPARK EV be taken outside of CA and OR? Seems so based on Facebook/FB response from Shad. Certainly Chevrolet Volt techs could handle procedures related to the SPARK EV ... one would think.
    Afternoon Scottf200,

To answer your question there will be very limited vehicle service availability outside CA and OR. Consumers can locate Spark EV Chevy dealers for service outside CA and OR on http://www.chevrolet.com later this summer.

I hope this helps!

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service
    If you have any further questions feel free to contact the
    Chevrolet Customer Care Team:
    (800) 222-1020
    Chevrolet Customer Care Hours:
    Monday - Friday 9AM to 9PM EST.
    Closed on Saturday and Sunday.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit Hidden Content

There is a local Chevy Shop I took my Volt to for an oil change in December. They can change the oil and perhaps replace window glass but cannot do Voltec service nor any warranty work. They opted out of the Volt program. And, if a regional non CA or OR dealership sees a Spark EV rollup to the service bay - I'm sure they will deny any service especially since service in the first <n> miles will be warranty work. If GM does not support the warranty work, then *you* have to pay for it at the dealership.

Without a certified Spark EV dealership in my area, I cannot forsee buying one.
    VIN: B-2672 Crystal Red - Light Neutral Leather (4-years owned on July 5, 2016 @ 69,000 miles) Current Hidden Content
    USA-made 8.16KW Solar PV - SolarWorld + PowerOne Aurora ** Hidden Content -- 47 MWh since 12/12/2012

Thank you to Hidden Content for a great purchasing experience. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bonaire View Post
    There is a local Chevy Shop I took my Volt to for an oil change in December. They can change the oil and perhaps replace window glass but cannot do Voltec service nor any warranty work. They opted out of the Volt program. And, if a regional non CA or OR dealership sees a Spark EV rollup to the service bay - I'm sure they will deny any service especially since service in the first <n> miles will be warranty work. If GM does not support the warranty work, then *you* have to pay for it at the dealership.

Without a certified Spark EV dealership in my area, I cannot forsee buying one.
    Well, if your dealership services Volts, I'd gather that they've prepared for the Spark.

Quote Originally Posted by bonaire View Post

Without a certified Spark EV dealership in my area, I cannot foresee buying one.
    So in complete contrast I bought a Volt in NY and drove it to IL before they were selling them here. The IL dealerships were trained or training was available. I guess at that point at least there was a planned roll out so they had some incentive. I have 3 dealerships within 30 minutes that have serviced my Volt (timing issues and had to go to different ones). IL also has some of the worse gas prices ( http://gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx ).

I'd be surprise that we did not see some Spark EVs here before long. Also this article would lead to believe that too.
    Title: Midwest Chevy Dealer Expects 2014 Spark EV to Eventually be Available There
    http://insideevs.com/midwest-chevy-d...ailable-there/

I think the Cadillac ELR will be different since it is not at a Chevrolet dealership where the Volt's go. Wonder if they will still service them.

Quote Originally Posted by Taser54 View Post
    Well, if your dealership services Volts, I'd gather that they've prepared for the Spark.
    I would not think that is a given. Two of the four chevy dealerships near me are still volt shops. I'll give them a call to ask if they would service a spark EV before the state begins selling them and report back. The other two shops are out of the volt program. It cost dealerships something like 10k to get volt certified, if not more. Then the tool purchases. So, I wonder how many will bite on the spark EV initially?
    VIN: B-2672 Crystal Red - Light Neutral Leather (4-years owned on July 5, 2016 @ 69,000 miles) Current Hidden Content
    USA-made 8.16KW Solar PV - SolarWorld + PowerOne Aurora ** Hidden Content -- 47 MWh since 12/12/2012

Thank you to Hidden Content for a great purchasing experience. Hidden Content

My servicing dealer has all the tools, and has a Caddy dealership as well. Given that the Spark EV shares 70% of it's system with the Volt, and the ELR uses even more (I think), I suspect my dealer could handle the Spark EV.

Like Scott, I too bought my Volt in NY and drove it back due to the Volt's limited rollout. I'll likely wait for the Spark and be buying locally. The Spark EV would take 250 days to drive here from CA, haha. Plus, I think I'd want a higher charging capacity than the gen 1 Spark EV's
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

It would be a blessing if someone with connections at GM could post a website address with a list of Spark EV certified dealerships in each state and territory. Knowing this, a potential Spark Ev buyer would visit the closest certified dealer, and do business with them. That dealer can probably order a Spark EV ahead of time, or make a deal wit a California dealer to buy and ship the Spark EV for the new buyer.
    Raymond
    No Volt or Bolt EV yet!

2009 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT
    Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed at 7.2 kW
    Registered EVSE at PlugShare
    Waiting for the first EV to charge!

Quote Originally Posted by scottf200 View Post

FB via S.F.

FB via T.M.

FB via Shad Balch (who he is link: http://www.thefutureiselectric.com/our-team/shadbalch/ )
    RE: production and estimates

Big, big stink this month about this, not specific to the Spark EV or estimates for it, but for the wider picture.

No GM exec/pr person is likely to give out any info related to the Spark EV or anything else right now (Volt, Malibu, CTS...whatever) as GM has gone full silent running. Starting in May, GM has retracted even the historical monthly production numbers (which all the major OEMs report), and are circling the wagons. Lots of consequences for the industry and suppliers on this move...and it is one GM has attempted before.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text